Author Topic: Help needed! Dealer stripped Alan/Hex 30 mm crankshaft inspection cap  (Read 2683 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
I was in the process of valve checks for my 2006 ABS ST1300 tonight....
I noted the dealer that serviced the bike last from previous owner (yes, name and shame! Ferntree Gully, Vic. Jeffrey Honda, no longer in buisness.... :well) has worn of the soft walls of the 10 mm Alan / Hex inspection / crank cap on the front engine crankcase cover.  :cuss

http://www.bluecitymotorcycles.com.au/honda_search.php

parts
90087-kt7-000
90084-ky2-000

I also note he has mangled the o-ring of the cap which is visibly pinched and making a nice little mess.... :-(((

The top (valve T1 T2) inspection cap was also mangled by the same heavy handed idiot, but I got it off eventually.

I have removed the front wheel and guard for better access.

I have tried the following to no avail:

slightly lager hex 11 + 12 mm, the end of a 1/4 inch socket extension and Torx driver

it's locked on tight and the 0-ring is likely binding the alloy cap to the cover.

I cant weld, tig, mig due to risk of creating further engine problems without removing case cover, I really dont want to remove the cranckase cover, oil etc...

I know a large grabbit / ezy-out will do the job, but involves drilling and thus, removal of the cranckase cover to avoid metal shards dropping into the sump...

I will try to use a hammer / persuader tomorrow to "set" a 1/4 inch extension bar, and hope to break the seal that has been created.... but would appreciate any advice from our fitter/ turner lathesmith professionals, if possible. I will order the damaged caps and o-rings tomorrow...

thanks

Zev

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
sorry guys, the search diagram requires input of 2006, ST1300, and assembly is "E-05 front crankcase cover"

thanks again
Zev

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
do you have a heat gun, an Impact driver and a hammer.

If you can, try heating the area around and away from the cap ( might loosen due expansion). load up the impact driver in the undo direction, and give a whack or two. should loosen enough to undo hopefully.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
i have a heat gun and impact driver, will give it a shot tomorrow, thanks brock
Zev

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
Good luck

:thumb
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Happiness is getting a stuck bolt out!!!!! :Cake1

I used a heat gun, 1/4 imch extension tapped hammered into rounded shoulders of 10 mm cap and a few knox and its out!!!!
Zev

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
That's awesome news, glad to hear that all worked out :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Photo of the offending parts...

I have a hate for large type “authorized dealerships” (dealer-shits) where techs (not mechanics) take little pride or ownership in their work, using old tools, wrong procedures and make a mess of things!  :spank

I hammered a 1/4 inch extension into the rounded recessed hex cap inspection bolt, heated the area up with a heat gun, gave a few solid whacks and silent prayer, then it cracked loose. Big relief!

I will complete the valve clearance inspection and replace plugs with NGK Iridium type tomorrow.  :hatwave

Hope I don’t need to replace any shims as it is a fiddly job, removing cams.  >:()

I have ordered 2 replacement caps and O-rings so hope to get humpty dumpty back together again. 
Zev

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
See,

Us real techos know how to force things proper....
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA