Author Topic: Streaks Trailer Project!  (Read 22248 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Streaks Trailer Project!
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »
Streaks Trailer Project.

Well after doing much investigating and sleuthing, i have purchased a second hand trailer that needs a little bit of love and attention, so here is where i am up to so far:

Here is the trailer before i started, it has two storage boxes at the rear, and the front is a built in Esky.

It has some flex in the trailer, so i started by removing all the carpet from the inside to invesdigate how it was mounted to the frame.

I discovered that it was only teck screwed from the alloy to the frame, and over time has started to crack out

I also removed the metal mudguards as the weight of them being only bolted again to the alloy box had started to break away

The Spring in the Drawbar was long longer working, so it was off with it, and the jockey wheel was on the way out as well.

So First things first was to remove the box from the frame, and to put a new draw-bar on the frame

Then we welded the Jockey wheel bracket on rather than some small bolts so it was more stable, and also moved it back a bit from the draw bar

We flipped the frame over and re-enforced some of the hi stress areas so that it was stronger than ever!

Then we set about bolting the box properly to the frame, we used 3mm thick x 50mm wide plate, and made U shaped brackets out of them, we pop riveted them to the sides, and used 1/4 inch bolts to secure it to the frame.

if you also look top right of the photo below i have added a 12V point as well so that we can charge anything along the way.

So here is where I am up to:

Jobs still to complete:

Plastic Guards (i am waiting to arrive)
Kill Rust the Frame
strip back and paint the box
Re-Wire the Box to the bike with the 12V point.
Put rubber matting in the floor
put marine carpet around the sides to keep out heat, and help protect anything we are carrying.

So it is coming along really well! will update when i have done more

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
Re: Streaks Trailer Project!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
Looks great Streak. :thumb
Now to work where the BBQ is going to fit for the OzSTOC RTE BBQ  :grin
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Looks like you've turned a dodgy built into a solid trailer. I'm guessing black...      :thumbsup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 11:57:55 AM »
Looks like you've turned a dodgy built into a solid trailer. I'm guessing black...      :thumbsup

At the moment the plan is black, and then doing a middle wrap of 50mm reflective orange tape similar to the Mining vehicles to break it up and make it really visible
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
At the moment the plan is black, and then doing a middle wrap of 50mm reflective orange tape similar to the Mining vehicles to break it up and make it really visible

Ah.  Then, like a mining vehicle, it will have a 4 metre mast and flag so the semi-trailer drivers can see you!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 12:41:42 PM »

Ah.  Then, like a mining vehicle, it will have a 4 metre mast and flag so the semi-trailer drivers can see you!

Ha ha nice one, No i am just going to keep it nice and simple, i think it is going to look very neat and tidy once we are done  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
Ooor you could have it custom painted with 'OzSToc ' same as the website header  :think1
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
Nice project, Streak. I like the trailer. I want to build one in the not too distant future.
I think that the Ozstoc colour theme might go well on yours. Mostly black but with the orangey stripe (reflective.. why not?) and maybe some thin pinstriping either side of the stripe. If it's in the budget then LED lighting is nice. You don't have to stick with the bulky combination units but can use the thinner separate leds.. just an idea and requires more work. It wouldn't hurt to use the marine carpet on the floor as well. I put that as the floor in my camper trailer and it holds up well and looks good.

The roofing screws used in the construction of the sheetmetal on the body don't do much for me, and would not have helped with the cracking. I prefer s.s bolts and nuts and washers if you can get away with it. If you can get your hands on some wider flat washers. There's obviously some movement there for the sheetmetal to crack. Sometimes some clever use of a tube of silicone can help. Just some ideas if you can use them.

Edit: I had a second look: there is a fair amount of cracking in the sheetmetal isn't there? It would pay to spend some time on this. Unfortunately, it looks to be a result of it's design. You might be able to create just some framework inside to stiffen it up a bit. Selective use of a tube of polyurethane (?) to sandwich panels in hidden places. It wouldn't hurt to laminate where the bolts go through (add a small sheet of sheetmetal as a washer under the bolts washer, using the polyurethane as a glue). Once covered with the marine carpet it will still come up alright. It's not going to be easy welding up sheetmetal (well it wouldn't be for me anyway!). Again, just throwing ideas at you.

Edit 2: I see that you have added a new wind-up jockey wheel tot he trailer. These are reasonable weighty considering their purpose. If it won't be used as a camper trailer (you wont be sleeping on it) then there's not a lot of point having a wind up jockey wheel. Many trailers use a swing over/ slide down leg to support the trailer, and that would take some unnecessary weight off the bikes towbar. You could leave the jocket wheels bracket there and just add a simple leg setup. Then see what suits you.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:38:45 PM by Rodd »

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
Nice project, Streak. I like the trailer. I want to build one in the not too distant future.
I think that the Ozstoc colour theme might go well on yours. Mostly black but with the orangey stripe (reflective.. why not?) and maybe some thin pinstriping either side of the stripe. If it's in the budget then LED lighting is nice. You don't have to stick with the bulky combination units but can use the thinner separate leds.. just an idea and requires more work. It wouldn't hurt to use the marine carpet on the floor as well. I put that as the floor in my camper trailer and it holds up well and looks good.

Agreed with the LED Lighting, I have looked at it, but alot of it has to to with budget as well  :thumb

The roofing screws used in the construction of the sheetmetal on the body don't do much for me, and would not have helped with the cracking. I prefer s.s bolts and nuts and washers if you can get away with it. If you can get your hands on some wider flat washers. There's obviously some movement there for the sheetmetal to crack. Sometimes some clever use of a tube of silicone can help. Just some ideas if you can use them.

the Roofing screws have gone in the Bin, I have added 50mm U Shaped Brackets that bolt through (using 1/4 inch bolts) and onto the Frame, I have nice big washers with spring washers to go on as well, the photos are just where i am up to at the moment, i have to pull it all apart again as i have to paint everything yet  :thumbsup

Edit: I had a second look: there is a fair amount of cracking in the sheetmetal isn't there? It would pay to spend some time on this. Unfortunately, it looks to be a result of it's design. You might be able to create just some framework inside to stiffen it up a bit. Selective use of a tube of polyurethane (?) to sandwich panels in hidden places. It wouldn't hurt to laminate where the bolts go through (add a small sheet of sheetmetal as a washer under the bolts washer, using the polyurethane as a glue). Once covered with the marine carpet it will still come up alright. It's not going to be easy welding up sheetmetal (well it wouldn't be for me anyway!). Again, just throwing ideas at you.

see the brackets i have added below

Edit 2: I see that you have added a new wind-up jockey wheel tot he trailer. These are reasonable weighty considering their purpose. If it won't be used as a camper trailer (you wont be sleeping on it) then there's not a lot of point having a wind up jockey wheel. Many trailers use a swing over/ slide down leg to support the trailer, and that would take some unnecessary weight off the bikes towbar. You could leave the jocket wheels bracket there and just add a simple leg setup. Then see what suits you.

I am just planning on having it so it is easy to move it about, the jockey wheel comes off it can just go into the trailer.

I appreciate everyone's advice to, as this is my first trailer so am trying to do all the right things  :runyay
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »
Great project you have going there.   What did you pay for the trailer in it's rather tired condition?    Keep us posted, and perhaps advise of the all up weight once you've finished it off.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
Great project you have going there.   What did you pay for the trailer in it's rather tired condition?    Keep us posted, and perhaps advise of the all up weight once you've finished it off.

I paid about $600 for it (there was a bit of Bartering and trade going on as well as money).

I am just working out the best way to strip all the paint off the box, it has a hammer finish on it, and i think i am best starting from scratch.
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
Nice work mate.....looking forward to the next instalment  :thumbsup
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
Great project and should look a treat when finished. For the record can you tell all what size material for the frame and overall sizes etc. Good for future reference.

:wht11
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »
Ohh how I could fill a trailer whilst travelling around stopping at all the shoe shops.  :nahnah

Pockey  :grin
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 02:19:42 PM »
Always travel in a group where there are some trailers.  Then there is no such thing as "..but Pockey, we don't have the space to buy anything..."   :blk13

Ohh how I could fill a trailer whilst travelling around stopping at all the shoe shops.  :nahnah

Pockey  :grin
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »
 :beer
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
Well after a quick sand and clean up, frame has been primed, and given two good coats of satin black kill rust, and it has come up a treat!

So it is all back together and put back in the shed, and now it Is to work on the box itself, I have started stripping the paint off, I have used a normal paint stripper and 50mm scrapper and it is all coming off nicely

Am still deciding if I am going to paint it myself or get it powder coated (depending on cost)  :thumb
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:51:13 PM by Streak »
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 08:09:36 PM »
keep up the good werk  :thumb
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
Looks like it coming along nicely :thumbsup :thumbs :clap
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
This is getting interesting
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
Evening all, well after a long hard look and a conversation with a few people about trailers and the like, I want to make my own box to go on the frame I have, as the frame is excellent, but the current box, it not very well designed for the frame, and I believe will cause me more issues down the track.

So....

I have the dimensions of 1280 long and 780 wide to work with on the frame, what would be a good option for building out of? Marine Ply? And what are thoughts on size and shape, just after suggestions so I can have a look and see what will work

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »
Have a look at the bandicoot trailers, that shape may suit, and would be fairly easy to make in marine ply, later you could replace it with an ally box.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
 :dred11
Streak I see in the pics you have a rigid ball hitch :eek  :-((( , I hope your going to get a swivel hitch  :thumb
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 08:41:56 PM »
Have a look at the bandicoot trailers, that shape may suit, and would be fairly easy to make in marine ply, later you could replace it with an ally box.

Hmm good thinking sir

:dred11
Streak I see in the pics you have a rigid ball hitch :eek  :-((( , I hope your going to get a swivel hitch  :thumb

Does it really make much difference? I have seen many bikes with the rigid, and also the swivel
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
A 19mm sheet of marine ply 2400x1200 would weight just under 40 kg........just as a guide for your consideration  :think1

What about using a car roof pod ?? Lots of sizes available, waterproof(ish) and light weight  :think1

:beer
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:20:29 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!