Author Topic: Lessons learned from towing a trailer...  (Read 12656 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Lessons learned from towing a trailer...
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »
OK braniacs. I am about to get into the wonderful world of touring with a trailer behind my ST.

Many of you have done this for years and got the packing and piloting skills down to a fine art by now. Do you tow a camper (fold out tent/sleeper style) or box trailer (storage for all things touring)?

So come on - give over - what are some of the gems you have learnt through experience when touring/camping with your motorcycle trailer?

Things like:
- how to pack the weight - over/aft of the axle;
- accessories (lighting, 12v recharging sockets, water containers) on your trailer;
- best type of hitches;
- tyre pressures when loaded/when empty;
- tow ball weights;
- essentials/must haves in the trailer;
- Dangers/cautions;
- fuel consumption differences;
- etc etc etc
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
Re: Lessons learned from towing a trailer...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:46:33 PM »
Still learning with mine so will be watching this thread
 :popcorn
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:01:08 AM »
Any fool can be uncomfortable when camping. When I'm going to camp I tow a trailer which has a lockable lid. Inside I carry:
1. 120 amp/hr deep cycle battery with 25 amp Citek battery charger
2. 600 watt inverter
3. 40 litre Engel or Waeco fridge
4. Cooking equipment and food
5. Fishing reel and tackle (rod outside)
6. Lockable toolbox on the A frame where most trailers carry the esky, spare wheel bearings, no spare tyre
I used to carry 5 litres spare fuel before I had the aux fuel tank built
An electrician installed an outside/inside power socket so I could connect to 240 volt power when available and keep the lid locked for security.
On top I have a lockable roof boot into which goes my tent, stretcher, air mattress, pillow and clothes.
Approx all up weight of 230 kgs
Range drops from 450 to 300 kms. I tow at the speed limit except in WA where there is a limit of 100 km/h when towing a trailer.
Be careful entering and leaving premises (eg petrol stations) where the gutter is deep with a pronounced V. The trailer wheels may "wedge" in the V and you'll feel a jolt or a pull from the trailer. It's not a problem once you're aware of what is happening.
During one of my longish lunch hours I left the trailer electrically connected to the bike. The battery went flat and I needed a jump start.

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:16:35 AM »
A mate of mine bought one of the elite camper trailers advertised on Facebook. Waiting for him to bring it around. 150kg all up. Probably about the same as my box trailer i tow behind the bike.
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:45:41 AM »
 :beer

Just on tyre pressures.....

I hear some like to run tyre pressures of 20psi or even less to increase the trailers suspension and doesn't increase tyre heat or wear......but others need to run really high pressures of even 50psi so trailer doesn't wollow around behind them, this both with 10" tyres  :think1

I'm to watching with great interest

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:05:23 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 02:03:04 AM »

Just on tyre pressures.....

I here some like to run tyre pressures of 20psi or even less to increase the trailers suspension and doesn't increase tyre heat or wear......but others need to run really high pressures of even 50psi so trailer doesn't wollow around behind them, this both with 10" tyres  :think1

I'm to watching with great interest

Tyre air pressure depends on the type of trailer suspension.

Classic trailers are a prime example of a torsion bar suspension similar to this http://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/trailer-suspension.jpg which also gives a reduced height (lower centre of gravity) for the trailer compared to leaf/coil spring set up. The tyres at least on Classic trailers are set between 12 to 15 psi depending on load and act like the shocks do on leaf/coil set up.

At highway speeds you would think the low air pressure would cause overheating but it doesn't and the tyres are only supporting a maximum of 200kg (on mine) pay load plus the 90 kg trailer weight to support.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
Winston66, Here

:wht11 :candystwheelie ++ :hatwave :runyay

This is what I have found that is applicable to my trailers. I have built and use three of them
Tow ball weight , Anywhere between 15 to 30 Kgs seems ok.
Tire pressure , my trailers run 450/12  4 ply with an all laden weight of up to 205 Kg  and std leaf springs, I find that a pressure of around 25 Lps is plenty, Pour some water on a flat concrete surface and then run the trailer over it and the the dry surface next to it and observe the tire track pattern to see the contact surface pattern of the tires,  this will give you some idea as to weather the tires are either over or under inflated. The biggest indicator in my opinion is to weather the trailer bounces excessively at speed and weather the tires appear to run hot after about 50 klms or so.
The hitch. Get a hitch that will swivel through the full 360 degree rotation, This is purely a safety thing.
Draw bar length, If you do not want the tail to wag the dog , make sure that the trailer draw bar is between one point eight , to two times the tire track width of the trailer, measured from the trailer axle to the tow hitch, and the track width from the centers of the trailer tires.
Loading, Put heavy items down low over the axle and secure them with straps or a net, just use your commonsense,
Towing speed, Do no be in a hurry but travell at a speed that you are comfortable with,
Leave plenty of distance around yourself for maneuvering,  and stopping,The extra mass has to be allowed for.
If I hit a rough patch of road ,  or even a very windy  patch or heavy gust, I do not try to control the bike with am iron grip, instead I just let the bike move around under me and it will sort itself out very easily, this can take a little bit of practice.
Leave plenty of curb side room when cornering  eetc,as the extra width of the trailer needs an extra two to three feet of clearance.
Please keep in mind that the more stowage space that you have , the more stuff you will want to take, and most of that will probably not be needed anyway, The easiest and most useful stuff to take as my dad used to tell me is MONEY, it packs flat , takes up very little room in the pocket and anyone will accept it for services rended .
One could go on and on, but  in trailering , like in most things in this life I have found that the KISS principle is a good and practical rule to follow.
Happy camping and touring,
Cheers,
Winston66, Northampton, Western Australia

:think1 :OldMan :beer
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
The proverbial "can of worms" if there is one. No one solution fits all.

Generally the heaviest item is placed in the centre of the trailer above the axle or as close as possible. Following that where ever possible heavier items below lighter items to try and keep the centre of gravity lower and hence more stability. I have three plastic containers in mine which store most of the smaller items like stove, cooking gear, food, lights etc. and if needed I can pack for one person and put the esky in the trailer. The tent, sleeping bags, a couple pillows, a fold up chair (two if Heather is with me) and a couple changes of clothes. The 12 volt air pump and tyre repair stuff are now in the trailer as well.

Carry only light stuff on top of the trailer if you need to: a bag of clothing maybe.

Now that I have a shelf on the draw bar for the esky I can counteract the added weight up front by placing a heavier item to the rear of the trailer but I doubt if I carry more than 60-70  kg in weight anyway. More bulky stuff if anything.

The trailer has a built in light but for it to work I moved the wire to the tail light circuit as I haven't wired the bike's plug to have a power circuit. With the motor running I can at least see in the trailer if I need to at night if stopped for rest.

I don't take separate water; I freeze 3 x 2 litre plastic soft drink bottles of water and have one cold one for cooking/drinking for the first night. I'll buy a bag of ice on day two or three depending on the number of days on the road. The esky waste water (from the bought ice) can be used to washing dishes etc.

Twin 12volt sockets on the bike (not switched) are always on (and fused) so I can charge phone, inflate/deflate air bed without having to run the motor.

My average fuel usage when towing is around 15 K/L riding two up at around 95-100 kph. I've had as low as 13 K/L with a head wind and fuel average info in my signature reflects. I carry 10 litres of spare fuel in each side case and at my worst figure I still have an extra 260 km of range.

Allow extra room for braking/slowing down; the other side of that is being slower on take off. Filtering is a big no but leave that option open as an escape route.

Only take what you need; not what you will think you'll need. It'll take a couple trips to work that out. A four/five day trip might need some items that an overnighter won't.

For us the trailer is asset for shopping trips as well and as Heather likes to fish we take the rods sometimes as well.

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 07:00:37 PM »
 :dred11
 :cop :law the best advice is DONT FILTER,,  :-((( :-((( not up the middle anyway,    in Qld I'd filter on shoulders. juST coz I can,, :nahnah :butt
 I tow a brick an  Aunger pro and as long as its packed right and tight I usually forget its there, except on the fuel gauge  :OldMan :fp
these days I'll only tow it if its a week or so trip camping..
1 important thing is 'CONFIDENCE'  :well if you lack it I wouldn't tow..
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 05:38:07 PM »

I tow at the speed limit except in WA where there is a limit of 100 km/h when towing a trailer.

Same 100 km/h limit applies in NSW although you wouldnt know it with the the way them Victorians towing caravans go flying past you in the 110 zones  :spank
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »

I tow at the speed limit except in WA where there is a limit of 100 km/h when towing a trailer.

Same 100 km/h limit applies in NSW although you wouldnt know it with the the way them Victorians towing caravans go flying past you in the 110 zones  :spank

Chris said to say they must be driving toyota's, guest that's a private joke  |-i

Pockey  :p
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 07:17:43 PM »

Here's the trailer speed limits nation wide. 110 in NSW is fine if the combined weight is below 4500kg though anything to much over 95 - 100 will be just throwing money away.

http://withoutahitch.com.au/caravan/state-state-tow-vehicle-trailer-speed-limits/

Trailer speed limits

In most cases, the law states that the maximum speed limit for a tow vehicle with a trailer in Australia is as per the signposted speed. However, there are some subtle variations to this rule across the states.

New South Wales

The maximum allowable speed of a tow vehicle towing a trailer in New South Wales is 100km per hour if the tow vehicle and trailer have a combined weight in excess of 4,500kg. [Understanding maximum trailer mass] Note that the maximum allowable speed on motorways and highways in New South Wales is 110km per hour.

Tasmania

There’s more of a blanket rule in Tasmania. The maximum speed limit when towing a trailer or caravan in Tasmania is 90km per hour, regardless of trailer weight. Note that the maximum allowable speed limit on motorways and highways in Tasmania is 100km per hour.

Western Australia

Like New South Wales, Western Australia has a maximum of 100km per hour for a vehicle towing a trailer. However, there is no specified vehicle and trailer weight. Note that the maximum allowable speed on motorways and highways in Western Australia is 110km per hour.

South Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, Queensland and Victoria

The remaining states and territories have no trailer speed limits for towing. Instead, they recommend that drivers travel at a speed that is suitable to the prevailing conditions on the open road.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »
Tasmania

....... Note that the maximum allowable speed limit on motorways and highways in Tasmania is 100km per hour......

Does that apply where there is a 110km/h limit? 

Photo from Google Maps Streetview (Feb 2010), but I'm sure it was 110km/h last year.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 08:05:25 PM »
Tasmania

....... Note that the maximum allowable speed limit on motorways and highways in Tasmania is 100km per hour......

Does that apply where there is a 110km/h limit? 

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/road/network/speed_limits

What is the highest speed limit I can travel in Tasmania?

The highest speed limit you can travel at in Tasmania is 100 km/h unless otherwise sign posted. On some Tasmanian highways the speed limit may be 110 km/h. This is clearly sign posted on those highways.

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 09:22:21 PM »
That's good to know we can do 110 now.
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

hondabob

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
hey diesel - hondabob here- :dred11 :hatwave
ok trailer-first have ya got 1 - if not i'm selling my classic ultra lite ifn yer interested - $950 ono.vgc-not using anymore

ifn yer got 1 -i've towed for many many miles- 1st behind an old GS 850-round australia-25000k's then this trailer behind tokyo rose -ST1100.

tyre pressure critical - must be even, not to high -tyres usually act as shoks, if to hard will bounce! -classic only runs 15. load balance- super critical!!! easy to achieve but super critical - i run minimum 10kg & never more than 15kg ball weight - must have 360 degree swivel hitch-2 safety chains-crossed over underneath(like a little cradle-just long enuff for turning circle). place heaviest object( full esky) across middle @ axle then pack to achieve afore mentioned balance & ball weight - ifn u have an external esky - usually at the front -unless u have a lot of really heavy shite inside u can NOT run with full esky outside -to heavy on ball - don't for get a  little jack set up -in case of flat,even if u have a spare or just repair kit.
trailer is relatively easy to tow - 1st with the ST - u gotta remember it's there!! no jumpin/hoppin round cars etc-remember trailer! takes a little more oomph to boogie & a little more pressure to pull up - golden rule -like semi trailer - ifn yer have to - brake hard in the straight & then power thru the corner - pulling the box with you. i always aim for 5k's faster out the exit -keepin it smooth.
with the classic - which i believe-thru experience-is the best there is -balanced right - it's a dream to tow -
this is incriminating i know- but- i've towed at 140 loaded & 195 empty - steady as a rock.

hope this is informative & inspiring -trailer is great - but remember - the bigger the trailer the more shite u will take!! specially with a hand bag - u don't have to ruff it but u don't have to take the ensuite with ya! & she will ifn she thinks there's enuff room :eek

good luck mate -enjoy
ps :as i said ---trailer for sale - & will sell tow bar/ball/wiring for the ST1100 if anyone interested
ciao for now
hondabob

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
I agree with Hondabob about carrying a small jack.
I learned this the hard way shy of Blackall.
Fortunately a car stopped to assist and I was able to use the car's jack to change a tyre.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
The best advice I can give is leave loading space for your mates not towing to dump heaps into your trailer  :Stirpot  You may as well let others go off and have some fun.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 03:55:13 PM »
I agree with Hondabob about carrying a small jack.

My first little trailer had a spare wheel fitted underneath and out of site but the Classic I have now doesn't. I queried Classic about a spare wheel option and it was expressed that I should be more concerned about one for the bike than the trailer. In other words just run the trailer with a flat tyre until you can get it fixed. I used to have a can of the after the fact tyre sealer kept in the trailer but haven't bothered to replace it.

I'm looking at new trailer tyres before the WA trip so I put some of that tyre sealant stuff in them when I do them.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 08:45:12 AM »
Some excellent tips and experiences listed here - thanks gurus!       :-++

I understand the 360 degree swivel tow hitch in case the trailer wants to barrel roll, it won't necessarily pull you and you bike over with it (just maybe), but some of you spoke of carrying fuel in the trailer... I (unless you can convince me otherwise) would expect that to be a precarious situation in said "barrel roll" circumstance - open to advice here.

Have you had a trailer wreck or a mate who has - what was the main cause? I can see the "death wobbles" being a major contributor.

Also - I just ordered a small bottle jack.      ;-*

Thanks again contributors - learning heaps.     :thumbs

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:44 AM »
 :hatwave :thumbs ;-*

I do not think that one should worry too much about a "Barrel Roll" as such.
Where I believe a 360 degree swivel hitch would be most advantage is in the unlikely but almost inevitable occasion when your ride manages to fall over off its side stand or perhaps when you get hung up on a curb or trapped in a rut whilst towing. 
Which can and does happen, However unlikely that may seem
There seems to be plenty of movement in a standard hitch and tow ball arrangement for the normal lean of the bike when cornering.
 Anyway. Having a swiveling hitch means that any possible damage to your tow bar and attachments on the bike will be minimized.
As far as caring extra fuel is concerned I feel that the 30 liter capacity of my 1300 is plenty for my normal needs , even here in the remote of Western Aus.
There are plenty of petrol stations , usually within a couple of hundred Klms. or less of each other.
In any case perhaps a small quantity of 5 litres would suffice  for me, even if only just for some peace of mind. And this is easily stored and carried in  a regulation and approved type of container.
I stay away from the often substituted type of reused Pet type of soft drink bottles.
Happy camping.
Cheers, Winston66 ,Northampton Western Australia
 ++ :rd13 :wht13 :OldMan :beer
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »
I understand the 360 degree swivel tow hitch in case the trailer wants to barrel roll, it won't necessarily pull you and you bike over with it
My first trailer had the standard hitch (maybe swapped by previous owner) which for most of the time was ok but when low speed turning (e.g. in a car park)the trailer would prevent the bike from leaning past a certain point. I got used to it and rode accordingly. The other issue is one of the trailer wheels tracking into a deeper than usual pot hole might cause the bike to be pushed over........not what you really need.
carrying fuel in the trailer... I
Not sure I'd want to go again there either. I did put 10 litres in the trailer on one trip and after a day or two the odour went through everything so I went back to using the bike side case.

No trailer wreck for me. When coming back from Silverton last year the stronger than normal side winds did cause the trailer to sway a bit above 90 K/H but one only needs to slow down to prevent it.

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »
There's something about greasy roads in the rain at night that causes me to go base over apex. One of these days I'll learn to manoeuvre the bike better in these circumstances.
I dropped my ST1100 travelling slowly in the mountain range between the East coast of Tasmania and Launceston. I had a 360 degree swivel on the trailer but it still did a barrel roll crushing the roof boot on top on the way over. Fortunately there was no damage to me, the bike or the trailer. I had to tie the remainder of the roof boot together with bungee cords until I replaced it in Launceston. In this accident the bike caused the trailer to roll, not the other way around.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »
Not from personal experience,  but when I picked up the trailer for Cooman, Jack, the previous owner advised adjusting the Centre of the tow ball height so that it is at the same height as the axles.

This means compromise between 1up and 2 up. Or having a small adjustment available.

The logic being it stops the trailer trying to stand the bike up if it is higher than the axles when braking in a corner and trying to push the back wheel out if it is lower in the same situation.  It apparently helps reduce the opportunity for the death wobbles as well.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
the previous owner advised adjusting the Centre of the tow ball height so that it is at the same height as the axles.
That's something I forgot to mention......You could almost draw a straight line from the axle and along the trailer draw bar. Helps I guess when you have a classic towbar and a classic trailer as they're designed to work together.
This means compromise between 1up and 2 up. Or having a small adjustment available.
When the trailer is mounted the tow ball there is no noticeable drop in height (at least on mine) but there is when we mount the bike. I've compromised the bike suspension ride height between one and two on the bike and adjust the rebound as needed. With a light load in the trailer (e.g. to/from shopping) I don't even bother changing it.

This is mine fully loaded (almost) from when we went the Ashbourne RTE......it still has the original Classic rotating coupling.

2015_0117Asbourne-RTE0007 by Alan, on Flickr

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:51:31 AM by alans1100 »