Author Topic: New Tyres and TPMS  (Read 2058 times)

atoyot

New Tyres and TPMS
« on: December 13, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
I was hoping the old Dunlops would last until the Metzeler Z8's came out in an 18" front, but they were too buggered for me to wait until the new year when the distributor reckons the old stocks of 18" Z6's would be gone. So I've just had a new set of Michen Pilot Road 3's fitted, and it was the perfect time to just the tyre changing excuse to buy a TPMS system, so I bought a Tyre (Tire) Watch system from a company called Gecko in the ACT.

http://tirewatch.com.au/wordpress/

and bugger me but they just dropped the price $50 to $299 + postage. Don't you hate that!  :cuss I'm gunna email them now and ask if they can do me a deal on two extra sensors ($75ea) and another mount ($20) as I'd like to mount some sensors on my MT-01 when I get new tyres for in next year.

Anyway, a mate bought a set at the GP and reckons they're great. They have sensors that are integral with the tyre valve, and the batteries  last 3 years or so. When they run out, they have to be sent back to have new batteries installed, at a nominal fee, which is better than some of the other TPMS systems around where you have to buy new sensors. I don't like the idea of TPMS systems that have the sensor screwed onto the valve on the outside, was that was my other reason for choosing these, but I had a quick run down to Cowra today and they seem to work very well. Pressures went up a bit, but the temps were an eye opener. Back tyre runs about 10 deg hotter than front, and the monitor's ambient was a few more than the ST's air temp guage, but overall, the tyres were a bit over 10 and 20 degs hotter than ambient, sitting on 110. :H

Has anyone else installed a TPMS and if so, what system and how well does it work? I'm going for another run tomorrow, and now I've worked out how to change the pressures from bar to PSI, I'll be able to monitor in figures that don't have a decimal place.

regards

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
Re: New Tyres and TPMS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
How is this all working out now ?
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

:blu13

atoyot

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
The PR3's are great. Can't fault them yet, but only done a few thousand K's.

The TPMS is probably the best around too, but they have a few little foibles: Depending on the temp when you set them, the hot and cold increases and decreases pressure by a few pound, but that's easy enough to take into consideration when it comes to temp rise, and temp fall is only when it's a bit colder. All situations I've encountered they work really well. These are issues which only need to be taken into consideration when watching the pressure and temp, and setting a suitable threshold is pretty easy, so I think that summer and winter settings might apply. This would be the same for any other TPMS, unless they developed one to consider ambient temp at setting, temp rise and fall during riding, but the most important one is pressure fall, which is what thresholds are set for.

The only tangible negative is that I think after a week or so, the valves do drop a few pound, and that's the same for my mate. Not much but maybe a pound or so a week. Just means that TPMS don't really take away the need for checking your pressures regardless. They are mainly for when you're riding.

Hope that's not too confusing, but overall,  :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs Well worth it!

regards

Andrew

Offline TheMechwarrior

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »
I have the TyreDog TPMS on my ST1100 and I see the same thing you've described.
The rear running hotter than the front.

Of interest to some is I recently filled both tyres with Nitrogen and I no longer see as much variation and I'd swear I can feel a more relaxed and smoother handling.

Cheers,

Mech.
Honda CT200P
Honda CB250T
Honda CB250N
Honda CB400N
Honda CB750 4 (hard tail chopper with leather king queen seat)
Honda CX500
Honda CB900 Bol d'Or
Honda CBR600
Honda ST1100PY

Together Each Achieve More