Author Topic: Shinko Virge tyre update  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Shinko Virge tyre update
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »
The last tyre that I have fitted to the rear of my 1998 ABS ST1100 is the Shinko Virge (in ST1300 size).

I was happy with the cost of the tyre including shipping from the U.S.
It was even quite easy to fit, and much easier than the Bridgestone BT023 tyre. I installed Dynabeads for balancing and they seem to have worked well also.

Yesterday I return from my extended trip of well over 3000 km..unfortunately I didn't record the odometer when I fitted the tyre but it had been on the bike for many months prior to this trip. I do know that I only got about 5000k's out of my Bridgestone rear tyre, so even if I had only used the Bridgy on this trip then it would be mostly worn by now.
The Shinko Virge has worked very well for me and as you can see still has plenty of tread left.

With the purchase cost of this tyre and the great wear and handling characteristics of the tyre I was going to recommend them as being a really good budget tyre, especially if you were to buy a few sets from the U.S.

Unfortunately, I have also just noticed this:

Bugger!!!

This implies (to me) that they might not be a good tyre to buy in bulk, and it's also something to think about.
The cracks only seem to be in one area but far enough apart to suggest that it's not due to some kind of impact damage.

Would I buy the Shinko Verge again.. well.. I probably would. It has worked very well for me as a budget tyre. I have had no other issues at all with the tyre and it's wear rate has been really good for my riding style. Obviously, I would/will keep a close eye on the tyre and I will definitely talk to my supplier about the history of the tyre cracking like that before buying again.. if the job market improves for me then I'll likely go for the Michelin PR2s

BTW: the Verge .. I had to fit the ST1300 sized tyre (170/60 17) and this is slightly smaller in diameter than the size recommended for the ST1100 (160/70 17). In all honesty, I have noticed bugger all difference between the sizes and I haven't had a problem with the bike wanting to fall from the side stand.

PS. I also had problems with feathering on the Bridgie.. almost immediately after fitting it. There is some feathering now on the Verge but this tyre copped a good flogging on this trip. I don't mean that I flog the bike because i don't.. but I don't worry about using up my tyres while I am enjoying the twisties.. and there were a lot of those on this trip.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:00:20 PM by Rodd »

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Shinko Virge tyre update
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
Between Lionel and myself we have used more than 6 or 7 sets of the Shinkos. No problems at all.  Average life is around 14,000kms or more, depending on the riding.  During the recent Transcontinental ride Lionel only got about 12,000kms or a bit less, but that was lots and lots of straight roads in the heat and 18 hour days.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Shinko Virge tyre update
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
I was looking at these to replace my current BT 23 GT (1300 spec tyres) which will have to be done before the border ride that we are hoping to do this year.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1