Author Topic: Darkside on the horizon.  (Read 10428 times)

Offline Piet

• Caroline Springs, Victoria.
Re: Darkside on the horizon.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »
Sorry I have been away so long.  I have been working on a number of other projects.

Regarding the Darkside ... I am a bit of a fan to be honest.  I am very happy with the final result.  I am running at 26 PSI and I cant really fault it.
At first with immediate change from bike tyre to car tyre ... the feel is quite different.  But that is true for any change ie.  Avon to Michelin, even old to new staying with the same brand.  It always feels different.

First impressions:  Easier to hold upright when at the lights or pulled over toward the side especially when the road falls away.  A std bike tyres round profile means the legs do it all when holding the bike upright.  On the CT with the larger flat surface it lightly adds just a bit of self support with a noticeable reduction to the effort needed to hold her upright.

Slipping up between cars at the lights was a bit interesting at first due to what felt like railroading.  What is was is often the tarmac is pushed out to the sides due to heavy vehicles.  The flatter CT tends to ride up a bit and pushes you around.  It did not take too long to get used to that.

I like the rear brake as it seems a tad better due to the larger contact area.
Tyre life is heaps better.  I haven't worn the first one out yet, and a little later I might modify this post and insert the kms to date.

Please understand I am not one who rides scraping the pegs.  I am happy enough though to give her heaps of throttle in a corner and just power away.  I cant fault the grip when dry.  When wet I am cautious in the extreme because I am just not interested in meeting the road on my side with any kind of tyre. I can't report any negatives with the CT because I am never that close to the limits.

All things considered ... I am extremely happy with my CT and will stick with it.  Its also not bad having a complete wheel ready to fit if I get a flat going back to the standard wheel.

These photo's shows the current tread after just over 3000 kms.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:46:23 PM by Piet »
Rides:
ST1100P 2004 Darkside
VTX1800C 2008 V&H pipes (sold)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, MICK, Dragonstaff