Author Topic: Wet weather gear  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Shaun

• Professor
  • Ride and Teach
Wet weather gear
« on: February 08, 2013, 06:03:39 AM »
Good morning all,

I am currently thinking of revising my wet weather gear. At the moment I have separate pants and a long fluoro jacket as two pieces that always sit ready to go in my left pannier. They work ok in moderate rain, but when I found myself stuck in the vertical ocean that struck last week, I found myself quite wet. Now it may be that I would have been wet even if I was hiding inside a tied up balloon, but I was wondering whether a one-piece may be a better alternative. Crucially, I am looking at the following factors:

- effectiveness (ie do you stay dry in most, if not all, downpours)
- ease of fitment (eg you are riding along and then WHAM, down it comes. How much fartassery is involved getting it on on the side of the road)
- visibility (bright and bold please)
- cost (worn once in a blue moon and essentially a shaped sheet of plastic, don't want to re-mortgage to get one)

Do any of you have any products/advice that fit the bill? (if not in Sydney, preferably with reasonable postage?)

Cheers, Shaun
:bl11 Blue 2001 ST1100 ABS Pan European (RIPieces) :(
New STeed: 2006 6th Gen VFR800Fi Sports Tourer

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
Re: Wet weather gear
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »
Shaun,

To be honest I think you get what you pay for.  My choice for fighting the wet weather are these with the bright jacket.
http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/HornyToadz.shtm

One old trick to get into wet weather trousers without taking your boots off is to put your foot into a plastic bag and pull the trousers on (keeps the mud off the inside of the trousers as well)
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456