Author Topic: Do I need to replace my ECT Sensor ?  (Read 908 times)

Offline covcrew

• ST Legend
Do I need to replace my ECT Sensor ?
« on: September 05, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »
Hi All,

Got an issue with my ST1300 2006A bike a few months ago was out on bike and started to loose power bike was stuttering and would hardly go above 2000 revs so I took the bike to my mate who does my work and he suggested we change all 4 spark plugs which we did and all was ok for around a month.

Then after a month I was riding from Leicester to Birmingham in the UK on a very hot day and again the bike started to do the same thing when I got into Birmingham and had to stop at trafffic lights it would struggle to move revs again not going above 2000 revs and would cut out the fan would be running all the time I had to get off the bike and wait around 20 mins before it would start again but after driving it for around 5 to 10 miles the same thing would happen again.

Whats happening now is when I ride the bike after around 7 miles the FI light comes on and remains static the temp bars seem fine they go from 1 to 3 and never go above 3 but when the F1 light comes on I can hear the fan kick straight in, when I pull over and switch the engine off and put the stand down I get the F1 light flashing 7 times and if I turn the the bike on but dont start the engine the air temp seems to be reading quite high say the temp outside is 23 it will read around 30 to 35 but if I start the bike and drive it does come down quite quick to read the normal outside temp.

I checked the coolant bottle which was empty so I filled this up and got my mate to take off the radiator cap and we checked the coolant which was nearly full took less than a litre to fill up so all is ok that end, im thinking there is an issue with the ECT sensor but know its quite a bit of work to get to and replace and did not really want to do do if it was something else but Im thinking the ECT sensor is the issue, im only doing short rides at the moment around 30 miles back and forth same issues after around 7 miles static F1, then flashing 7 times when kick stand down, 3 bars on bike never goes above but not had the loss of power or stuttering may be wrong but this seems to kick in when the weather is quite hot, im thinking I need to replace the ECT sensor but know its quite a bit of work to get to any thoughts would be good thanks all.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Do I need to replace my ECT Sensor ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
Have you tried releasing the fuel cap, the tank may not be venting correctly and fuel supply being restricted.  When you say the weather was very hot, what was the temp. We ride in summer temps of 40C at times, the bike will get pretty warm if riding in stop start traffic..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline covcrew

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 08:17:17 PM »
Thanks

Can try that it was around 30 when cutting out temp has not been that hot since my issue is this stat FI light after around seven miles then the flashing 7 lights when stand is down.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »
I dont have the 1300, but I'm sure some one will be in shortly. 30C isnt that hot here..   ;-*
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 08:00:01 AM »
Could be a blocked thermostat as well, or a coolant circulation problem/blocked radiator etc.
Whichever is the problem, it is going to be a major strip down to get to it.
BTW, have you checked the stored FI codes using the diagnostic connector. Details are in the service manual or can be found online.

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline covcrew

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the info, its a pity as the bike othewise is in really nice condition I dont really want to take it into my Honda dealer as for the amount they would charge me I would rather trade the bike in to a dealer with the fault and get another bike. I have not checked the stored FI codes would not have a clue how to do this leave  this sort of thing to my mate he does my bike work, thinking of taking a chance  and replacing the ECT and see what happens I could also ask him to check the other stuff you mentioned while he is replacing the ECT thanks,.

Offline covcrew

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 07:30:06 PM »
Hi all,

Are there 3 Temp sensors ?

1 Ambiant air Temp

1 Coolant Temp for dash

1 Coolant temp for ECU/CDI  and where are they located, thanks.