Author Topic: Windscreen modification without spacer posts  (Read 3198 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Windscreen modification without spacer posts
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »
Looking at some of the OEM windscreen mods :CB-- to reduce buffeting and increase air flow, I decided to increase my screen "rake" angle.

I didn't like the idea of "posts" or spacers in between the lower screen bolts to the windscreen and chassis arms as described.

Instead, I removed the R and L arm off the lower posts and rested the bottom of the screen chassis arms ON the bolt, then added flat larger washers and tightend the nut over it.

Also, to accomodate the new angle created, I used a soldering iron to horizontally elongate the 2 lower windscreen holes to accept the new angle created.

I also used the soldering iron to creat a half crescent on the plastic inside facia for the lower bolts. Also, don't forget Loctite / threadlock on all threads...

I trialed this mod today and found the rake angle to steep as too much air flow was entering under the windscreen.

I then modified the chassis mounts by cutting out a small section of the lower rail to allow a slightly less raked angle.

Attached photos, sorry not the best lighting.

The screen can always be returned to stock position if required.  :thumbsup

:dred11
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:22:10 PM by zevk »
Zev

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
Re: Windscreen modification without spacer posts
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »
Surely, isn't there a risk with this new geometry that air pressure pushing on the screen with forward speed will spill over the top of the screen and tend to push the whole screen horizontal very suddenly? Seems the only thing holding the screen up is an interference fit between a couple of washers and over-tightened nuts. If this is the case you might well have a rude awakening when you get into areas on the speedo that aren't supposed to be explored in Australia in general.   

:think1 :think1
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »
Already trialed and very secure in all aspects of travel. Bolts are not overtightened. The increased angle reduces the pressure blast and resistance in my opinion...

Zev

Offline Nh478m

• NH478M
  • Farkled to death - well it was!
    • My '13
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:40 AM »
Sorry guys but that sounds a bit dodgy to me. I'd be real scared it'd flip up!
PJ

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »
A lip brazed onto the washer, so that it will engage with the slot might make it a whole lot stronger.  If it did come away at highway speeds while a truck passes by, it might be.....  ummmm.........  interesting.    :eek
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:36:23 PM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »
I pulled over on the Hay plain and got off the bike to stretch the legs while taking a mobile call.
The pressure from a B-double going past ripped my large windshield off the stationary bike and sent it flying down the road. Fortunately it missed being run over by the truck wheels and I was able to tape it back on and continue to Border Village.