Author Topic: Driving an electric car from Sydney to Melbourne / the Downsides of EVs  (Read 7216 times)

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
Is this the sort of thing that could end up happening here in Australia?  :popcorn

https://tinyurl.com/2vawp42f
I think it would be a good idea, a bit like off-peak HWS. Weren't they doing this in south OZ?.

Online Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Unless I'm mistaken you can't rotate tiers on Tesla so that means you can't have a spare. Road side assistance is there for a reason

We're in a transition period from petrol and EV. And once the price becomes competitive you'll find the uptake to EV will be enormous

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
I think it would be a good idea, a bit like off-peak HWS. Weren't they doing this in south OZ?.

To me, if that sort of drastic action is needed now, can you imagine what it will be like when every man and his dog has an EV?  :||||

« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 05:41:09 PM by ruSTynutz »

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Unless I'm mistaken you can't rotate tiers on Tesla so that means you can't have a spare. Road side assistance is there for a reason

I can't imagine why you couldn't...
As long as the tyres are the same size etc there should be no reason why you wouldn't be able to use one.
Yes, I get that most modern tyres are only supposed to be run in one direction but that shouldn't create an issue short term.

Better than hoping there's roadside assist out in the middle of no-where assuming you even have phone service to call them in the first place!

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Spare anxiety, perhaps like range anxiety, is for some only in the mind of the user.  I haven't needed a spare in a car, ute, 4WD (work or private) for many, many years - I can't remember the last time I changed a tyre on the side of the road.   The spare in Helen's 2008 Mazda 6 had never been used in 180,000km.

You're lucky...with rural roads getting worse and worse it's bound to happen sooner or later. We've needed the spare twice on Sue's car.
Once when a sharp edge of a pothole ripped the inside tyre-wall open and another when a tyre developed a bulge...

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
... tiers ...

Predictive text is ready to bite anytime, anyone, anywhere.

...Yes, I get that most modern tyres are only supposed to be run in one direction but that shouldn't create an issue short term ...

Other than, using a directional tyre in the wrong direction will possibly:
  • Result in an unroadworthy vehicle, and leave the driver exposed to a penalty from VicPol (as happened to a mate).
  • Void the vehicle insurance - in the event of a crash and a sharp assessor or VicPol noticing (and perhaps another penalty).

This would be a problem with EV and ICE (with directional tyres).
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online LindsayGT

• Rossmoyne, WA
Mmmmm, perhaps I’ve been lucky on my 250000km on motorcycles since 2009, coz I’ve never had a flat tyre. I suppose I’m lucky coz I also never carried a spare tyre on any of my motorcycles!
1400GTR 2010*
GL1800 2012*
ST1300*
K1600GT*
GL1833

IBA #49250: SS1600k, BB2500k
FarRider #369

Perth-Pt Augusta-Darwin-Pt Hedland-Perth 2011
Around Aus via Highway 1, April 2014
Cape Leeuwin to Cooktown, August 2018
Perth to Tasmania, November 2019

Online Bodø

• Legendary Member
  • Where's My keys
Mmmmm, perhaps I’ve been lucky on my 250000km on motorcycles since 2009, coz I’ve never had a flat tyre. I suppose I’m lucky coz I also never carried a spare tyre on any of my motorcycles!

:rofl

I carry an emergency repair kit.  It's come in handy on three occasions.
Seriemester 2020 🏆 🟧 Kawasaki Versys 1000
Seriemester 2021 🏆 ⬛ Yamaha Xmax 300
Seriemester 2023 🏆 🟥 Honda Goldwing 1800

Online LindsayGT

• Rossmoyne, WA

:rofl

I carry an emergency repair kit.  It's come in handy on three occasions.

Yes, very wise. I also carried a repair kit and compressor whenever I went out of town.
1400GTR 2010*
GL1800 2012*
ST1300*
K1600GT*
GL1833

FarRider #369

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Other than, using a directional tyre in the wrong direction will possibly:
  • Result in an unroadworthy vehicle, and leave the driver exposed to a penalty from VicPol (as happened to a mate).
  • Void the vehicle insurance - in the event of a crash and a sharp assessor or VicPol noticing (and perhaps another penalty).

This would be a problem with EV and ICE (with directional tyres).

My comment "short term" was meant to mean that you could probably use it to get your vehicle to a tyre service or garage etc to have the damaged tyre repaired or replaced.

Bit of a grey area I guess but I would certainly use one in an emergency.

Did you know it's okay to use a space saver tyre in an emergency yet using different size wheels and tyres on the same axle is actually illegal?

You might also be interested to know that there's actually no mention whatsoever of unidirectional tyres in either the Vicroads Vehicle Standards Information - Roadworthy Requirements info sheet or their Tyre Maintenance & Repair sheet...  :think1

And finally, if running unidirectional tyres in the wrong direction is illegal then surely you'd have to carry 2 spares?  :grin

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: STeveo

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW

There is no mention anywhere in the Tesla doco of not rotating tyres. In the Tesla community it is recommended that you rotate them on a regular basis of around 10,000km.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW

Only once had a flat tyre on a M/C and that was because it was well past it's replacement time and I was on the way to the tyre shop. Had to plug it, use a few of those little gas cylinders, then find a servo that'd let me use their airpump.

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Is this a sign of things to come?  :popcorn

Australia’s EV sales boom falters

Electric vehicle sales drop for first time in three years, driven down by three factors.

Is the honeymoon over for electric vehicles in Australia?

It’s clear the EV sales surge has lost some of its spark, with the latest statistics revealing buyer demand for battery-electric vehicles waning in Australia and abroad.

To read more, click this link: https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/australias-ev-sales-boom-falters-145948/

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
ELECTRIC UTOPIA? Top 10 insane EV reports (this month)

https://youtu.be/NmcvWBnmKUU?si=-3XySSrCOeXjKR17

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
Is this a sign of things to come?  :popcorn
No.
EVs are the future, you may not come kicking and screaming but the next generation will... guaranteed, The new financial year hasn't started yet plus the new emissions legislation, ICE is going to go the way of the dinosaur, no matter how many youtube videos you post of the goose John Cadogan

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
I agree, they are the future...whether we actually want them or not is another story, Marcus!  :whistle

But, when people need to be encouraged to buy them in the way of incentives or actually FORCED to buy them by legislation you have to wonder...
The facts are, EV sales are slowing around the World whether EV zealots want to deny it or not. I guess time will tell whether that will continue to happen or if it's just a blip.
https://tinyurl.com/28963kva
The sad fact is, they aren't a like for like replacement for ICE vehicles at the moment.
Yes, they can be a half reasonable replacement if you live in the burbs and you have the capability to charge your vehicle at home, I get that, but they aren't yet suitable to fully replace ICE as things stand.
For example, If you need to tow a caravan or trailer an EV is crap as far as range goes compared to an ICE...as bad as half the normal range which realistically is nothing to write home about to start with...lol.
Then, if that's not bad enough, many chargers require you to back your vehicle in. So, you will then be required to unhitch the caravan, assuming there's even somewhere you can safely do that, charge your vehicle, then hook your van back up and continue on to the next charge point before you then have to go through the same procedure....Sounds like fun!  :clap

Then of course there's heavy haulage, as things stand, an EV truck cannot offer the range and haulage capacity that a diesel truck currently does...

As for Cadogan, is he a "goose" because he's not supporting the EV zealots?   :whistle

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
The sad fact is, they aren't a like for like replacement for ICE vehicles at the moment

That's why this is a transition period, every new thing needs time to develop. Nothing enters the market fully fleshed for every eventuality

Online LindsayGT

• Rossmoyne, WA
The transition from horses to motor vehicles did not happen overnight! Lots of interesting reading here.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=transition+from+horse+to+automobile&qs=UT&pq=transition+from+horse+&sc=10-22&cvid=C1CA38C07C9F4CAE874B7799ABB55109&FORM=QBLH&sp=1&ghc=1&lq=0

In February 2022 I purchased a Mazda CX5 Akera 2.5T and love it. So I’m Not an early adopter. My son owns a BYD and from all reports, likes it a lot as a shopping trolley.

Cadogan is really quite deluded! His presentations are puerile.

Confirmation Bias is certainly evident in this thread. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

I have no doubt that EVs are the way of the future but I’m not ready for one in my garage. You only have to look at the R&D going into battery and charger technology.

But it won’t happen overnight, just like the transition from horse to motor vehicle!

1400GTR 2010*
GL1800 2012*
ST1300*
K1600GT*
GL1833

FarRider #369

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
The transition from horses to motor vehicles did not happen overnight! Lots of interesting reading here.

From that article:
Why is the horse no longer used for riding?
Explanation: Horses are no longer used for riding because with time humans are getting advanced and they have invented better means of transport which are faster and way comfortable than traveling on horses.

Copilot also had this to say:
The transition from horse-drawn carriages to automobiles brought about several significant benefits. Here are some of the key advantages of cars:
  • Speed and Efficiency: Automobiles allowed people to travel faster and cover longer distances in a shorter time. Unlike horses, which had limited speed and endurance, cars could maintain consistent speeds on roads.
  • Convenience: Cars provided greater convenience for daily transportation. People no longer needed to rely on horse stables, feed, and harnessing. They could simply hop into their cars and drive to their destinations.
  • Independence: Owning a car gave individuals more independence and control over their mobility. They were no longer dependent on public transportation schedules or the availability of horses.
  • Cargo Transport: Cars were not only for passengers; they also facilitated the movement of goods. Trucks and delivery vans became essential for commerce, allowing businesses to transport products efficiently.
  • Urbanization: The rise of automobiles contributed to urbanization. Cities expanded, and suburbs developed as people could commute from farther distances. This led to changes in city planning, road infrastructure, and housing patterns.
  • Social Mobility: Cars became a status symbol and a marker of social mobility. Owning a car was associated with prosperity and upward mobility.
  • Innovation and Industry: The automobile industry spurred innovation in manufacturing, engineering, and design. It created jobs and boosted economic growth.
  • Tourism and Exploration: Cars enabled people to explore new places, go on road trips, and experience different landscapes. Tourism flourished as families could travel to scenic destinations.
  • Emergency Services: Police, fire departments, and medical services adopted cars for faster response times during emergencies.
  • Environmental Impact: While cars have environmental drawbacks, such as pollution and traffic congestion, they also allowed for more efficient transportation networks, reducing the need for horses and their associated waste.
So, it seems there were many good reasons to move from horses to motor vehicles, can we say the same about the move from ICE to EVs?  :popcorn

Confirmation Bias is certainly evident in this thread. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

That works both ways, Lindsay!   :grin

At the end of the day this thread is highlighting the many downsides of EVs.
There's nothing stopping anyone from starting another thread highlighting the benefits of EVs if they so choose...  :popcorn

2005 Honda ST1300A