Author Topic: Drift and Stealth...  (Read 38805 times)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Drift and Stealth...
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »
The side distortion is very much reduced. I'm very happy with the whole thing. I will shoot a small video tonight, to show low light capability, as I havent managed to edit the first video down yet.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
Here is the low light vision, there is a surprise toward the end

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Avtrician/GhostSLowLight_zps83e4677d.mp4
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
Fantastic low light quality Brock........where do you have the camera mounted??
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »
Agreed Couch - fantastic vision under the circumstances Brock.     ++                           
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
The camera was mounted under the headlight on that flat bit of placky. It gets good clear vision there, (plus road grime in the wet weather) and not too much noise.

Did you notice the bright light flecks, like shooting stars before coming up on the truck.. I didnt notice them at the time, but they look good in the vid..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »
That's a very nice clip, Brock.  Can't go wrong with the Shadows!

Loved the sparks from the dragging ramp.  Reminds me of the old joke about the two sailors scrubbing the timber deck.  One says to the other, "Where's the soap"?
The other replies, "Sure does!"

When he gets home the driver will be asked, "Where's the ramp?"
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
Never noticed the sparks when I first watched it, I guess I was looking elsewhere......just watched it again, full screen, now I see what you're on about.  Are you using the suction cup mount that comes with the unit to fix the camera to the bike? It looks to be a very smooth Highway you're riding on and you're obviously not getting much road vibration! I'm certainly impressed with the quality (could be something to do with the bike being WHITE)! I tried fixing my Ghost in a similar fashion but the country roads where I live here are too rough for it so I get too much vibration, I'm sure it would be fine out on a decent bit of road so I'll try it again some time down the track. I find I mainly use the camera now for still shots.

I must get myself back into video mode :grin

The camera was mounted under the headlight on that flat bit of placky. It gets good clear vision there, (plus road grime in the wet weather) and not too much noise.

Did you notice the bright light flecks, like shooting stars before coming up on the truck.. I didnt notice them at the time, but they look good in the vid..

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
Mine is fitted with a flat clip socket. I will go and get a pic.  I think the suction mounts allow to much vibration, but its seems very much reduced with direct mounting.

The mount, surprisingly hard to take a pic of a black mount on black plastic..  :||||

Profile view of mounted camera.

Front view, no wonder its called a Ghost

Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »
The still shot modes, allow so many variations to be used, and there is the snap shot option while in video mode as well
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »
Cannot really make it out on the pics........."Flat clip socket"  is that one of the attachments supplied with the camera that attach with 2 sided tape......such as you would adhere to the helmet??

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:21 AM »
Thats the one, the tape sticks very very well.....
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »
It certainly does mate, I have one stuck to the top of my helmet! :grin

Offline gibbo57

• ST Legend
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
Well after much reading here I finally lashed out and bought the Ghost 1080HD, not the S.   Because of my back situation I won't be able to use on bike for awhile but walking around with it and using it in car gave excellent results.   They don't have as many added accessories as the GoPro I don't think, but you can purchase other attachments on line.   Downloaded the drift app onto my iphone and it works just great.   Thanks to everyone in allowing me to make a good decision, well I think it was anyway.
Cheers
 :wht11
Gibbo (Dave)
Current: 1995 1100P ex NSW Police
Sold:
2000 BMW R1100RT
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1987 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Suzuki GSX 750
1977 Yamaha TX650
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbucket Triple

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »
They dont need the accessories, most of the stuff is built in..  :)

The ability to use the phone to see where the camera is pointing is great, and good for controlling as well.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2014, 09:31:34 PM »
Brock, I enjoyed the video and music but I couldn't read the large green traffic signs. Perhaps I need new glasses.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Well of course you couldnt, I dint have my glasses on at the time o:) o:) o:)

Real reason is it was dark, the signs were off to the left, and the camera was looking down the road not at the signs... Dont know if the signs can be read in daylight, may need to ride a lot slower. (Thats just not going to happen-- too dangerous to slow down)

Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
I tried to video travelling through towns on a holiday years ago with the intention of having a good reservoir of footage to make a reasonable holiday film.
I found travelling at the speed limit was way too fast to film decent detail, particularly with the camera pointed in the direction of travel.
It seems today's cameras suffer the same shortcomings.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2014, 09:58:57 PM »
These cameras have a huge field of view, (160 o), so they cant focus on everything but they do a great job.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Aussieboy

• STeve
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
Gavo, I haven't had mine long, so a bit curious as to what you have found wrong with the camera so I can avoid an foreseeable issues with the "trendy piece of crap"
Thanks for your advice  :thumbs
Im wanting to know what the trendy piece of crap was so i could avoid it
The piece of Crap is called a GoPro. Just a worthless piece of junk. The battery life is rubbish, and even if its just turned on and not filming. They have no playback feature, no view screen, no remote, you can't see what your filming, can't use it with gloves on, be buggered if you can turn it on and off if your moving, just junk and for the price you pay ??????????, just brubbish compared to the Drift X170.

What kind of GoPro did you have. Mine came standard with a remote. If you want even more control just use the GoPro app through your phone, this also gives you a view screen and the ability to play back. I have no problems using mine with gloves on - the buttons are designed for use with gloves on. Only real issue is that I can't reach it in most of the places I mount it on the bike so using either the remote or my phone is essential. I usually set it up before a ride if I am going to just take video of the road and use the remote to turn it on and off. To be honest the times I want to take video I have a bit more to concentrate on than viewing what the camera is recording. Battery life seems to be about 2 hours if it is left recording or with the wifi connection to the remote or phone. If I am using it in the dash mount position behind the screen of the ST I can turn it on and off manually and generally I will get all the video I want for the day from the 2 hours of battery life. Not hard to recharge when I take a break with my Power Monkey any way if I want longer, or if it became an issue additional batteries would fix it up. I like the simplicity of splicing the GoPro video into video taken with other cameras and the ability to include higher quality stills whilst taking video. Guess everyone likes different things, at the moment looking at the number of professionals using GoPro it must be reasonably good. Bit like all those who knock Nikon and Canon cameras - take a look at what the pro's use - they don't use stuff because it's trendy.

Steve
2010 ST1300
Ulysses 61988
It's not difficult it's just unfamiliar

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »
From memory the Go Pro doesn't have "Video Tagging" which is a feature with the Drift! :grin

Offline Aussieboy

• STeve
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »
From memory the Go Pro doesn't have "Video Tagging" which is a feature with the Drift! :grin
I guess you are referring to the ability of the Drift to buffer for a set time and then record when you hit the button, rather than the ability to "index" the video for easy search through a menu (which is a brief description of my understanding of video tagging). If this is the case it is a similar function to the looping function on the Go Pro.

As I mentioned previously we all have different needs and wants and different cameras will suit different users.
Steve
2010 ST1300
Ulysses 61988
It's not difficult it's just unfamiliar