Author Topic: Oils for good clutch operation  (Read 9217 times)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Oils for good clutch operation
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
Arvo All...

Found the pics I mentioned...

Attach bolt, end rubber seals and spacer removed

Space cleaned and smeared with  H2O resistant grease...in this case it's a Nulon product

Spacer and the 2 rubber seals returned

Gear lever returned. Be careful not to over tighten the retaining lock nut! Replace if necessary.

Also, depending on the condition of the connecting linkage ball ends (not illustrated here), they too may need to be removed, inspected, re-lubricated and or replaced. Generally speaking though, they can be easily assessed for unrestricted movement while both it and the lever are still attached to the gear selector on the rear of the gearbox. If, it has to be removed, be aware that early ST1100's may need the linkage re-rigged as they do not have a master spline at the gear box end.

Anyway, if this and the linkage adjustment and the components within the gear selector are in good order, any oil of the recommended viscosity will suffice.

Remember, these motorcycles are getting on now an a LOT of what I consider routine maintenance, has been omitted on most of em!

Cheers, the can :-)

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline John g

• ST 1100.
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
 :-++thanks greencan for your comprehensive reply and photos  I will do as you suggested just so I can cross it of my list of possible causes.the gear changes are improved as I had said earlier but once it gets hot its not as good as it should be .Reading some of the American st sites some have found the clutch master cylinder hose can become soft over time and even become porous especially when hot so I ordered a braided stainless steel one.I also ordered a new slave cylinder .im coming up to my 70,000 service so I'm going to fit them all then .I will let you know how it all goes!
                                                                                          Regards John g
John  g

Offline John g

• ST 1100.
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2019, 11:12:09 PM »
 :think1. Here's a update from my last post on this subject .I did not replace the hose or master cylinder because the gear changes have improved that much I didn't worry about it  ,maybe I'll do it when Ido the timing bellt but I came across a friend who replaced his oil with the same oil I did when he bought a  yammy fj 1300 ,he found  he couldn't get neutral at idle . Changing his oil made a huge difference   So my opinion on this is ,  oils ain't oils . And choose an oil that suits your bike because it does make a considerable difference .
John  g