Author Topic: Head Set Buzz  (Read 1976 times)

Online PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Head Set Buzz
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:34 AM »
I have a electricery problem   

I am running a hard wired autocom system with uhf & I pod    Santy dropped of a Zumo 590 Gps wich I have fiited to the bike
Since this was fitted I have a buzz in the head sets   this buzz alters with engine revs  when you first start the bike it is not there it comes it starts soon after then goes out at 3200 revs I suspect that when the battery is accepting power from the alternator there is no buzz
I sourced a power feed from a vacant plug on the left side of the fuel tank thinking this mite be the problem I have run power directly from the battery    it is still there   seems slightly worse        now at 3500 revs it drops off but not completely as before
not sure what to try next    any ideas guys?

Peter

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Head Set Buzz
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 08:33:50 AM »
Where is your earth from Pete ? Battery or Chassis ?? So many Alternator whines are earth related  ;-*

An inline suppressor on the power feed to the GPS is a simple method.....

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:46:14 AM »
What Chris said.

The wine is the unregulated Alternating current from the alternator. It is impossible to completely filter it out to DC. The week always be a little bit of ripple.

Having said that, a suppresor (capacitance to ground/chasss) can "short" the high frequency ripple to ground but not the DC.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 12:42:56 PM »
I have an inline choke (toroid filter), to reduce high frequency buzz getting into my audio system, capacitive filters from the positive to ground also assist in this.

It would take a long time to analyse and test solutions, as it would take an electronics lab to see whats happening, and fix the problem.

Part of the problem can be the wired intercoms, as these have long wires that can act as antennae to re introduce noise. There are also things called earth loops that can be bad things.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »
Thank you guys for your replies
so here is the situation now since installing the gps I have just put it in the cradle when it got power it turned on  when it lost power it turned off   today I put gps in cradle it turned on (no switch in line as  experimenting ) so I turned it off went and did a few other jobs then came back to start with your idea's  before i did anything I thought I will just check again   started the bike had no buzz turned gps on no buzz
so the problem has left the building at this stage      am feeling like a goose at the moment  I may have rectified the problem but not sure how
  Peter

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 04:34:55 PM »
It's a type of computer.  When you have a problem, you turn it off and on again and it thinks it's a new machine.    :thumb     :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
It could have been a microscopic piece dust on a contact...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA