Author Topic: Top box Hepco BEcker  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Col

• Cojomo
  • New to ST
Top box Hepco BEcker
« on: August 10, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »
Hi all, I recently fitted a Hepco Becker top box to my ST1100. The bike came with a rack, and I can weld, so I modified it to fit the H-B mounting plate far enough back to allow my pillion to have a padded backrest.
The Australian distributor seemed to be in a bad mood every time I contacted him, but the box arrived and I was happy with the quality. I'd fitted a R-Jays box on my BMtroubleyou years ago and was a bit unhappy with how the plastic coped with Qld sunshine, hence the change to the H-B from Germany.
It fitted up easily, but the catch wouldn't release to open the box. I contacted the distributor who said you have to push the lid in to make the catch release. I said it was a design fault. He said it was a feature. Since then I've regretted buying the box every time I've opened it, several times every day!.
After a couple of weeks the HB badge fell off, and again I had to contact the distributor. He sent another one and suggested this time I use a decent glue. I guess the factory use a cheap one.
It fits my two helmets, the reason I bought it. It looks ok (I haven't refitted the badge, don't want to advertise for them) but the catch is a real Pain in the derrierre.
Summing up, except for if you want to open it, and if you like badges, and if you want to talk to the distributor, it's great.
Next time I'll go back to RJays.
Cojomo
2000 ST1100 since July 2014
BMW K100RS 2007-2014

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Re: Top box Hepco BEcker
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up mate, it's always good to know what not to get.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
I fitted a Shad topbox to my ST1100 6 years ago and haven't looked back since. It was the cheapest one on the market I could find and it has been excellent in all respects. I also had it colour matched to the bike which cost $40 and it has the option of fitting LED's under the red perspex which I haven't done. I would stack it up against any other brand. Highly recommended.
A.

I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:45:18 AM »
Hi all, I recently fitted a Hepco Becker top box to my ST1100. The bike came with a rack, and I can weld, so I modified it to fit the H-B mounting plate far enough back to allow my pillion to have a padded backrest.
The Australian distributor seemed to be in a bad mood every time I contacted him, but the box arrived and I was happy with the quality. Next time I'll go back to RJays.
Cojomo

This is the site if anyone wants to have a look. http://www.hepco-becker.com.au/

As for the RJays one, I bought one for my CX and after getting the 1100 in 2006 I sold the CX but kept the case which didn't refitted until sometime in 2009. With about 15 months of the usage being over at Karratha the case faded a little (so did some of the bike plastic) with the heat and I replaced it about fifteen ago with a Third Gear one.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:07:21 PM »
Hepco and Becker were the OEM supplier for ST1100 factory accessory topboxes. I guess they have gone downhill since the 1100 was made. The topbox on my '99 is great.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline kimmie

• Friend to ST Legends
    • Kimmie Kares
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
I also have a H&B top box (have for 6 years) and placing the order initially and paying the distributor in QLD was great, even helpful.

Then I receive my goodies and from there, it all went down hill. Contact them with the same badge fell off and got nothing other than I didn't care for the box properly (obviously).

The seal was leaking and after ordering a replacement (which I would have to pay for) with them 4 times and getting nothing and on follow up was not greeted on the phone with any pleasantries and they made it seem like I was more than an inconvenience to them than an actual customer.....I solved the problem myself (thinking outside the square).

The catch on mine also catches/gets stuck, advised it was a measure for the top not flying open if you forget to lock it  :think1       really!!

Would I recommend them - ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

While H&B accessories may be good, the OZ distributor (IMO) really needs to work on their customer service skills.......because they don't actually have any!

Kimmie
"the woman who like little detours"

FR# 441
In the stable: Angel the White Blackbird & Dirty Daisy-DR650

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »

The catch on mine also catches/gets stuck, advised it was a measure for the top not flying open if you forget to lock it  :think1       really!!

Ours is the same as this one but with the Third Gear name plate on top but it locks automatically. Though I would hate to lock the keys in the case if the lid was to close so I either leave the keys in the lock or put them back in the bike's ignition.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Topcase-48L-Up-To-5kg-Top-Case-Rear-Box-Motorcycle-Scooter-Motorbike-Luggage-/201376942047?hash=item2ee30047df
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1