OzSTOC Events National & Local > NEW ZEALAND

Travels of the NZ OzSTOC Flag - In New Zealand

<< < (2/3) > >>

Shiney:
Awesome photos Rob, thanks for posting :hatwave

Old Steve:
Nice little jaunt Rob, lunch at Te Poi perhaps?  Suppose the Gentle Annie (Napier to Taihape) would have been a bit daunting in September so you came back to Palmy via SH50 and then on down SH 2 to Woodville and through the Gorge.  I was brought up in Dannevirke.

700 km is a good day's ride in NZ, don't think these Aussies appreciate that our average speed is a bit slower than theirs because w have corners to take into account  :wink1

Have been back from central QLD for just under a year now, and there's a lot of roads I want to ride.  I've thought about AKL/Rotorua/Whakatane/Opotiki/Waioeka/Gisborne/Napier/Taihape/Te Hoi/home - that's a nice little ride too, about 1200 km so probably a long weekend.

Marcus:
WOW what a great ride report thanks for sharing, shame about reason for it though

Gadget:

--- Quote from: Old Steve on March 24, 2016, 11:27:59 AM ---I've thought about AKL/Rotorua/Whakatane/Opotiki/Waioeka/Gisborne/Napier/Taihape/Te Hoi/home - that's a nice little ride too, about 1200 km so probably a long weekend.

--- End quote ---

That's a route I'd like to ride one day except I'd throw Tauranga in between AKL and Rotorua, some good roads that way too.

RGardner:

--- Quote from: Old Steve on March 24, 2016, 11:27:59 AM ---Nice little jaunt Rob, lunch at Te Poi perhaps?  Suppose the Gentle Annie (Napier to Taihape) would have been a bit daunting in September so you came back to Palmy via SH50 and then on down SH 2 to Woodville and through the Gorge.  I was brought up in Dannevirke.

Have been back from central QLD for just under a year now, and there's a lot of roads I want to ride.  I've thought about AKL/Rotorua/Whakatane/Opotiki/Waioeka/Gisborne/Napier/Taihape/Te Hoi/home - that's a nice little ride too, about 1200 km so probably a long weekend.

--- End quote ---

I've done the Gentle Annie in mid-Winter before but it's much better on a fine day. A five-hour loop from home in Palmerston North if I don't stop for coffee in Napier. It's now a great road surface sealed all the way with wide (fast) sweeping bends and very little traffic. Excellent riding in all but the worst of weather.

In regards to the Rotorua /Whakatane / Gisborne region, you can't go wrong with any of those roads. I've only done East Cape a couple of times though as that's got an awful lot of tight corners to test the shoulder muscles and 'slow the flow'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version