OzSTOC Events National & Local > NATIONAL EVENTS

2024 - National Rally - Mansfield - Shakedown

(1/4) > >>

Williamson:
Here's your opportunity to provide some feedback re. the 2024 National Rally at Mansfield.

Nominate what you thought was good or not-so-good, and what could be done better, so that us VIC's can provide an even better 2034 (or whenever) NatRally, and of course so that the 2025 NatRally SEQ organisers can consider including in their arrangements.   I'll start with:

Good

*  Venue - Mansfield was an excellent choice.
       #  Caravan park walking distance to dinner venue, cafes, shops.  From what I recall, this was like Mannum, Wooli, but unlike Ballarat, Mudgee, Toowoomba.
       #  Excellent ride opportunities

*  Meet & Greet tucker
      #   Homemade sausage rolls were a hit, as was the mini turkey & cranberry quiches.
      #   Somosas - I liked 'em, as did many others but apparently there were some softies who thought they were a bit spicey.
      #   Sausage sizzle - also a hit.
      #   The mini lemon & cream and choccy tarts were a hit - at least I think Johnny enjoyed 'em.

*  Awards - special gifts made this a little more special.

*  Coffee mugs & stubby holders - both were a hit.

*  Guest speaker, informative, interesting and most of all, personal experiences of OzSTOC members, and we saved some $$.

Not-so-good

*  Communication - trying to get advice, reminders, replies from a many was difficult to the spread of accommodation locations. 

*  Group pic location - poor choice - mea culpa.

What could be done better

*  Comms - I have some ideas.  What's yours?

*  Group pic location - d'oh!

Okay, when you're replying, please preface your advice, comment, suggestion with the appropriate heading.

Biggles:
Yeah- I wasn't there in time or I would have told you the sun was in the wrong place for the group photo, for starters.

The group I do most of my riding with use the Whatsapp system.  We have a regular one for daily comms, and for special events we set up one for the duration of the event.  It works perfectly (if everyone checks it for updates, or has notifications set).

On the plus side, the venue and accommodation was very good.  The dinner location and service was great. The mugs and coolers were an excellent provision.  The weather was very well chosen.   :grin  Well seriously- it's not that easy to get that many days in a row that good in Victoria, eh?

Cerebral Knievel:
The only negatives for me were my choice of ordered pub meal and the atrocious cabin bedding.

As far as the group photo goes - not ideal but finding another suitable location in a busy town on a busy weekend then playing herd the cats to that location would present another myriad of problems.

Perhaps a simple whiteboard with information in a central location could be an elegant low tech solution to the communication problem.

As stated in another thread i thought everything else was just fabulous.   

Williamson:

--- Quote from: Cerebral Knievel on March 20, 2024, 08:47:04 AM ---.... Perhaps a simple whiteboard with information in a central location could be an elegant low tech solution to the communication problem....
--- End quote ---

Yes, keep it simple is often the best way, although with a whiteboard, (for some) a message would need to be sent to read the whiteboard.

Something in between a Whatsapp type system and a whiteboard could be for the 2025 NatRally committee to consider though.

More responses welcomed.

StinkyPete:
Thanks to the Vic team for hosting a great NatRally, and for turning on some perfect weather.

Positives:   Mansfield was a great spot, with all necessary services close by
                 Caravan Park was well suited to our needs, with lots of cabins and van spaces, and a big Camp Kitchen
                 The Sausage Sizzle for the Meet and Greet was a brilliant idea, and we will probably adopt that next time SA hosts a NatRally
                 No formal ride, but having ride suggstions was a positive.  I think we are over the big formal rides, with the empahsis now on social activities.
                 Chippy's presentation was superb
                 Pizza for the "Stragglers Dinner" was a good option, but will always be dependant upon what's available in the host town.
                 Although it was not needed this time, we could add $10 to the Registration Fee to cover Pizza for Sunday night

Could be Better:    The group photo has already been mentioned
                            A morning briefing at 0900 on Saturday and Sunday may have been valuable, just to keep participants informed and reminded of what was happening
                            The Buy-Swap-Sell got a bit lost, and was not mentioned at all.   However a couple opf sales did take place.
                            Chris and I would have prefered "T" Shirts, but "T" Shirts vs Polo Shirts will always be a discussion point, simply because different folks have different preferences.

We are eagerly looking forward to SEQ in March next year and are already looking at maps and planning our adventure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version