Honda ST1300 Section > Ask A Tech about your Honda ST1300

Coolant leak etc

(1/2) > >>

Langers:
I am after some advice regarding a coolant leak and what one should do when putting the bike into dry dock for an extended period of time.

I have a coolant leak coming from the square inspection/telltale (I'm not sure what it is called). It's not a copious leak and it doesn't seem to leak once the engine is at operating temperature. I'm guessing it is probably a water pump seal that is weeping and when the engine is hot the seal expands and it does does its job. I am very much hoping it is not the hoses under the throttle bodies.

I've had a quote of around $900 - $1000 of which parts will be just under half (around $450).  I've decided that I'll try and tackle the job myself and with rego coming up in a weeks time I've decided to go for seasonal registration which gives me 91 days (ie no rush) to have a go. I suspect I may need to take some parts into a workshop to get bearings pressed etc but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Am I kidding myself that I can tackle this job ie are there aspects of this beyond the mug home tinkerer,
2. Can I get away with just taking the water pump cover off or does the whole front cover have to come off as well, and
3. There is 65km of fuel left in the tank (ie almost out) - if I'm not riding the bike for the next 3 - 6 months should the fuel tank remain empty or should it be full to prevent rusting?

All the tupperware is off at the moment, I removed the forks and had the seals and bushes replaced by people who know, I've put on new front discs and pads and replaced the front wheel bearing (the bike has done 160K kms so I thought, why not while the front wheel is off).

All advice and information will be gratefully received.

Thanks... Mark

Brock:
Tank should be full to prevent condensation, add a good fuel conditioner as well.  Disconnect battery, or connect a battery conditioner..

Langers:
Thanks Brock, I thought that might be the case. Luckily I have a few days registration left to head up and fill up.

cravenhaven:
I dont think I would be filling the tank ATM. You may have to take it off to get to the throttle bodies etc, in which case you'd have to drain it again.

Langers:
I've got a bit on at the moment so this isn't going to be done anytime soon (the trusty V-Strom will keep me mobile and relatively sane). I'm working on the premise it is a water pump seal and praying that I don't have to touch the throttle bodies. I'm sure that Murphy will have some input into the final outcome. I've had the tank off in the past when I replaced the fuel pump and if I have to I can happily transfer the fuel into the V-Strom's tank and go for an extended ride  :grin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version