General Category > Experiences/Backseat Advice/The Perfect Pillion

Are you a loner?

(1/8) > >>

BigTed:
Jean makes some interesting points about encouraging partners to the back seat of the ST.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling I will always by alone on my bike.  :'(

When I have a son who'd rather be out with his mates, a daughter who thinks it's embarrassing to be on the bike, a wife worried about helmet-hair, & jibes about "that thing in the garage" from all 3, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this situation won't change any time soon.

Am I the only one?

alans1100:
My experience goes the other way.........When Heather's four granddaughters first saw my CX500 (b4 1100) they all wanted a ride. Ages 8 to 14. Had trouble getting the 10 yr old off so she managed to get two rides. The boys showed no interest.

My daughter has been on the bike as well but not to keen. Even my daughter in law requested her first ride on a bike ever when the 1100 came into my possession.

Heather's brothers had bikes and grew going for rides with them so taking Heather isn't an issue.

Pocket STocker:
Hey Rob, I'm sure that you not alone. I know that Chris has other hobbies that he enjoys that he would like me to participate in eg. Shooting, but it just doesnt interest me. Just like Chris dislikes being dragged into the changing rooms when I'm on a shopping mission.  :rofl

You mentioned the helmet hair issue, which I don't enjoy either, but I found a solution in a silk head sock that can be used in a number of different ways. The sock can be used from everything to a balaclava to a bandana and even a neck warmer and a mask if it is dusty or cold.

Perhaps a deal could be done between you and your wife, look at a hobby or interest that you both have and don't share and perhaps a little "I'll try yours, if you try mine approach", may set the wheels in motion.

Good luck.

Jean

Brock:
My Wife wont get on the back, dont know why. Daughter is happy on the back, but has her own life, as does my Son so its solo for me.

Poppy Dave:
My wife's not THAT keen on going pillion. She's Thai and thinks they're dangerous seeing as she knows of numerous people who were killed on bikes in Thailand................I know, I know, I've been through the "Every type of transport's dangerous in Thailand" discussion.....................

My granddaughter on the other hand loves them. She's 9. We have intercom in the helmets, I particularly remember pulling out into traffic and accelerating heavily from a stand-still, and hearing Chloe say (to herself really) "Go Poppy, Go!" Needless to say, that brought a huge grin to my face.

Poppy                                      :wht13

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version