Author Topic: BAGSTER tank clips  (Read 1450 times)

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
Re: BAGSTER tank clips
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2024, 03:08:51 PM »
After looking at those pics it doesn't look like it would be that hard to fashion one from aluminium...  :think1

Of course, if you can print one up on a 3D printer that's strong enough, all the better!  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2024, 04:01:40 PM »
After looking at those pics it doesn't look like it would be that hard to fashion one from aluminium...  :think1

Over to you then Russell.  :popcorn

Of course, if you can print one up on a 3D printer that's strong enough, all the better!  :thumbs

I know nuffink about 3D printers, but as an original is not available, I suppose it a matter of programming it with all of the data available and keep fingers crossed.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2024, 04:32:04 PM »
Over to you then Russell.  :popcorn

I probably would have a go at making my own rather than spending a motser on one from OS especially at the price they are asking...but, as I don't have a Bagster, I don't need to... :grin

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2024, 04:35:40 PM »
I know nuffink about 3D printers, but as an original is not available, I suppose it a matter of programming it with all of the data available and keep fingers crossed.

Do you want to learn about them? I have 2 3D printers (packed away in boxes) in my garage you can have...  :popcorn

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Dragonstaff

• Legendary Member
  • Dave
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2024, 08:12:14 PM »
Thanks Michael. I will see what I can do.
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

Keep the dirty side down.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500
(Not all bikes are running at the current time)

Offline Dragonstaff

• Legendary Member
  • Dave
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2024, 08:15:12 PM »

Do you want to learn about them? I have 2 3D printers (packed away in boxes) in my garage you can have...  :popcorn

What are they Rusty? Bloody Enders?

I have an Ender 3 that the boys got me for Father's Day last year. Bloody useless piece of junk. You spend more time fiddling with it than you do making successful prints. I haven't switched it on since the last time it failed back in January.
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2024, 11:25:56 PM »
What are they Rusty? Bloody Enders?

I have an Ender 3 that the boys got me for Father's Day last year. Bloody useless piece of junk. You spend more time fiddling with it than you do making successful prints. I haven't switched it on since the last time it failed back in January.

No idea what they are as I inherited them when my brother passed.
I think he paid something like 8 or 9 hundred dollars each for them at the time.
Unfortunately old tech now so probably worth next to nothing.
I have a box full of the plastic filament in assorted colours too...

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2024, 07:10:22 AM »
I've recently upgraded from a Prusa Mini to a Prusa Mk4.    It can print bigger objects at about twice the speed of the Mini, and Prusa printers are rock solid reliable     I'd be reluctant to print those clips, as 3d printed items are layered, a bit like the grain in wood, and will always have a weakness in the plane of the layers.  Choosing the orientaton for the print can help with strength.

However, I'd make the clips out of aluminium, as its just a bit of flat material with a couple of slots and then bent to form a hook.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 07:16:25 AM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2024, 08:50:30 AM »
I'd be reluctant to print those clips, as 3d printed items are layered, a bit like the grain in wood, and will always have a weakness in the plane of the layers.  Choosing the orientaton for the print can help with strength.

That was my concern too, but I thought that perhaps more modern printers did a better job than they did approximately 8 years ago when my brother played around with them...

However, I'd make the clips out of aluminium, as its just a bit of flat material with a couple of slots and then bent to form a hook.

That was my thinkin'...  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2024, 11:36:33 AM »
Perhaps being plastic they are less likely to scratch the tank paint work.
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851
2008 ST1300 (sold)
2017 V-Strom 1000
2024 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2024, 11:38:59 AM »
You could put some insulation tape between the hook and the tank to protect it...  :think1

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2024, 12:08:14 PM »
.... 3d printed items are layered, a bit like the grain in wood, and will always have a weakness in the plane of the layers.  Choosing the orientaton for the print can help with strength.

I only pull lightly on the retaining strap, there's not a lot of stress on them.

You could put some insulation tape between the hook and the tank to protect it...  :think1

Or perhaps some shrink plastic.  Either way, I have an issue with having to develop a solution to a problem that developed with the original solution.  Could be why Mr Honda decided to mke 'em out of plastic rather than metal.

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2024, 05:24:19 PM »

Or perhaps some shrink plastic.  Either way, I have an issue with having to develop a solution to a problem that developed with the original solution.  Could be why Mr Honda decided to mke 'em out of plastic rather than metal.

I think you'll find it is the Frogs who make Bagster gear
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851
2008 ST1300 (sold)
2017 V-Strom 1000
2024 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2024, 05:31:14 PM »

I think you'll find it is the Frogs who make Bagster gear

:thumbs Of course, what was I thinking?

Offline Dragonstaff

• Legendary Member
  • Dave
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2024, 07:39:09 PM »
Righty oh. Better later than never.

I have, with the help of a mate who can fly Fusion 360 much better then I (I can't) come up with a design for these from Williamson's measurements, and printed two out. They are bright orange because that is what was in the printer, but I can change that to black, white, red, blue, or grey if required.

Who wants to be the tester for me? Williamson? StormST? Someone else?

Pm me an address and I will post a couple out.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2024, 08:52:52 PM »
I like them (in black).  I wonder if the printer is able to make the angle smaller so the clips would lay flatter.  The originals come with two slots to feed the tape through but I just use one of the slots and tie the tape off with a pass under itself.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 08:56:25 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Dragonstaff

Offline Dragonstaff

• Legendary Member
  • Dave
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2024, 09:19:29 PM »
I like them (in black).  I wonder if the printer is able to make the angle smaller so the clips would lay flatter.  The originals come with two slots to feed the tape through but I just use one of the slots and tie the tape off with a pass under itself.

A shallower angle or a shorter short leg, Biggles?

The pics Williamson put up made me think that the strap was actually sown at that point and tightened elsewhere, so if that bit needs to be longer and have two slots in it, that could be done. I would make it longer so as to not lose too much strength. They are printed standing on edge so that the layers are perpendicular to the direction of pull from the strap.

Would you like me to send you some to try?

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2024, 06:27:29 PM »

A shallower angle or a shorter short leg, Biggles?

The pics Williamson put up made me think that the strap was actually sown at that point and tightened elsewhere, so if that bit needs to be longer and have two slots in it, that could be done. I would make it longer so as to not lose too much strength. They are printed standing on edge so that the layers are perpendicular to the direction of pull from the strap.

Would you like me to send you some to try?

I'm sure I'm not the only one in here with an opinion!  Can someone confirm they originally came with two slots and were intended to be tightened by pulling through the two?  As I said, it's been a long time since I adopted using one slot and tying off the strap by feeding it under itself and the back between into a hitch.
Regarding the angle- a shorter leg would still work and reduce the protrusion of the clip.  It only needs to hook under the tank and is held there by the tension on the strap.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Dragonstaff