Author Topic: Riders plan official complaints of police harassment  (Read 1840 times)

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Riders plan official complaints of police harassment
« on: January 06, 2021, 09:44:33 AM »

Motorcyclists have long claimed police harass them, but now a Queensland rider advocacy group plans to make
official complaints to the Crime and Corruption Commission and via a Parliamentary petition.

They are calling for two officers in particular to be stood down pending investigations and have also drafted an
online petition to the Queensland Government.

Motorcycle Advocacy Group spokesman Stuart Langfield says the harassment has been going on for about
three years on Mt Glorious, a popular route for South East Queensland motorcycle riders.

Their complaints involve Senior Constable John Wilkins who was also mentioned in our article about spurious
speeding fines and Indooroopilly station chief Mick Stevens.

Click link to continue reading: https://motorbikewriter.com/riders-complaints-police-harassment/

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, Wild Rose, Gerard & Sandra

Bodø

Re: Riders plan official complaints of police harassment
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »
I personally have never felt harassed by police when riding.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 08:29:30 PM »
I've had a few discussions about points of the law and demerit, but always with an element of justification.  About half the time I give bike Cops a nod or wave I get one back.  Being on an ST helps, as a bit less than half the Cop bikes up here are still STs.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 09:03:03 AM »
I too, have never felt unfairly targeted by Police. I have only been intervened 3 times whilst on a motorbike in over 45 years of riding. Twice was for speeding, 1979 and 2007, and justified, and once for a licence check about 10 years ago. Stick to the road rules and produce a co-operative attitude when pulled over goes a long way towards stopping Police 'harassment'. Just my experience.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 09:30:18 AM »
I've never felt targeted by Police. A co-operative attitude also helps.

I've been justifiably fined every time, exceeding the speed limit and lane filtering before it was legal here in Qld.

The issue regarding Mt Glorious is regarding 1 Officer using a sound level meter to issue fines and defect notices for 'loud' exhaust pipes, and referring them to one place to get the tears done, and the vendor charging $100/test, and reportedly increasing the fee to$150/test.

It isn't possible to do a proper sound level test in an open environment, as the omni-directional nature of a sound level meter will pick up ambient sound, and and movements made by the wind, or the operator.

I personally would question the Calibration status of the sound level meter, and want to see the certificate, and look to verify if it is an ISO 17025 endorsed calibration report. That applies to both the Police Sound level meter, and the testing places Sound Level meter. Also I hope the testing vendor has an anechoic chamber in which to do the tests.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »
I too have heard reports about a lone ranger patrolling Mt Glorious.  It gives the rest of them a bad name.

Maybe being on a white ST helps my cause, but I get no shortage of nods and waves back, once i plucked up the courage to start nodding at coppers.

I suspect their approach might depend on the style of bike and the riding style, just like in the tin-top world it seems that young hat-boys in Skylines get targeted disproportionately.

I had a positive experience riding north towards Goondiwindi last November. It was 35C+, and I was grumpy and keen to get to a cool motel room. I was doing 140 when a police car coming the other way pulled me over. He identified himself as being a bike rider, a very pleasant guy and apologized for the excessive heat and flies. He made every effort to get me on my way ASAP and 'only' billed me for 127k.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
He made every effort to get me on my way ASAP and 'only' billed me for $127k.
$127K - How the WTF is that a positive experience?  :eek
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 10:09:39 AM »
Oh - silly typo.  Yeah that would have been an expensive day  >:()

For clarity ... He booked me at 127kph, which was much nicer than the 140kph he could have got me for.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

The following users thanked this post: Sicman

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 10:31:24 AM »
Yes much better result  :thumb
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 01:14:35 PM »
I believe much of the harassment, particularly in Queensland stems from the previous LNP Government and their draconian VLAD laws...
I remember reports of Ulysses Club members and Vietnam Vets being hassled for simply wearing cut-offs with club badges.
Also motorcycle riders were told they had to report group rides of 3 or more to the police if they didn't want to be "targeted"...

Re "filtering", it's never actually been illegal to filter but that never stopped the police from pulling over riders for doing it.
You couldn't be fined for "filtering" as there was no such law but they would get around it by booking you for not signalling or passing to the left of a vehicle etc.

I used to hear of numerous reports of riders being fined for not having an Australian Standards sticker on the outside of their helmet yet none is actually required if there is an internal certification label or sticker.

Then there are the over zealous fines for having a camera attached to your helmet...which, is apparently not actually illegal...   :||||

I guess I've been pretty lucky as I've never really been "hassled" in years...

It happened fairly often years ago though, especially when I had my side car...
My then wife used to travel in the "chair" without a helmet (which wasn't a requirement back in those days) so Mr Plod would pull us up to have a go over the lack of helmet. It's surprising how many coppers didn't know the road laws...  |-i
Then there were the times I got pulled up for not having a rear mudflap level with the rear axle... :fp
Oh, nearly forgot...I once got pulled up for simply riding around the block...
I guess I could also add the so called "random licence checks"... there could be a stream of cars but they'd always pull the lone motorcycle up... :whistle

So yes, I do believe some cops do hassle motorcyclists...

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: CallMeSteve

Offline NTRebel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • red centre red bike
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 02:17:17 PM »
Or the random breatho Rustyline of cars and the minute they see one motorcycle it's pull in rider many a time I've had that one.
I'm not strange i'm just not normal {Salvador Dahli}

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »
I started riding motorcycles in 1975 and have never been pulled up on my motorcycle ever
But have been pulled up driving the car a few times
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz