Author Topic: Footpeg lowering  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Philbo

• Old,not bold
Footpeg lowering
« on: May 08, 2015, 06:14:05 PM »
I have just fitted lowering blocks from Motorcycle Larry to my ST1100.  As the brake pedal is now a bit too high, I unbolted the footpeg holder so that I could adjust the length of the master cylinder rod.  The adjusting nuts are already at the top of the thread, making the rod length as short as possible and pivoting the brake pedal as low as it will go.  Has anyone else struck this problem, and does anyone have any thoughts on a solution?
Thanks, Philbo.  :wht11
Ermagard

Offline Piet

• Caroline Springs, Victoria.
Re: Footpeg lowering
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »
There are two nuts on the adjuster me thinks.  One adjusts and the other is suppossed to be the lock nut.  I fully understand the purpose of a lock nut but if you remove the lock nut you get more adjustment.  If adjustment shifts you sure are going to know about it. Because the peddle will move from its standard position letting you know.  Further it is not going to come adrift as you have to screw it in the opposite direction to get it off. 
Is it potentially possible to have the adjustment shift?  Theoretically yes, but in practice mine has not moved at all.
I am going by memory so please dont take this as gospel, but that is what my forgettery is recalling.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:38:53 PM by Piet »
Rides:
ST1100P 2004 Darkside
VTX1800C 2008 V&H pipes (sold)

Offline Piet

• Caroline Springs, Victoria.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »
I also now recall their was some kind of pin in the shaft to stop the nuts being removed.  You need to remove the pin first to get one of the nuts off.
Rides:
ST1100P 2004 Darkside
VTX1800C 2008 V&H pipes (sold)

Offline Philbo

• Old,not bold
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 06:02:11 PM »
Thanks Piet, I will try removing the locknut.  Excellent lateral thinking,
Thanks,
Philbo :thumb :wht11
Ermagard

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 08:05:49 AM »
I went through this exercise with my 13 and had only just enough adjusment - could have gone with another turn or two - didn't think to remove the locking nut!       :||||

You probably know this already Philbo - but your pegs will now hit the road much earlier, so adjust your approach speeds to the twisties accordingly.     :'(

I really enjoyed the extra length it gave my knee joints when casual riding, but I quickly replaced them with the originals to gain back the better banking angles, as where I live has a good proportion of twisty mountain roads.

Keep us updated with how you get on, and what the new riding experience is like for you.     :thumb

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »
Ahh twisties I vaguely remember them
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline Philbo

• Old,not bold
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:31:24 PM »
I reverted back to the original settings.  I would like to pretend  that it had something to do with banking angles and road clearances, but no.  I had trouble adjusting the brake and gear levers to a position where I could access them immediately, without moving my foot position.  If anyone would like a set of Motorcycle Larry peg lowering blocks for the ST1100 I am happy to give them away
Phil
Ermagard