Author Topic: Michelin Pilot 4 fitted  (Read 10137 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Michelin Pilot 4 fitted
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:54:41 PM »
Purchased a pair of new Pilot 4's from Scotty’s in Ringwood, Vic. 1 work hour, $519, i brought him the loose wheels. 

I took my time, re assembling the wheels incl. inspection and cleaning of all related components incl brakes, callipers and exhaust.

All the stubborn little black tar spots come off the chasis, rims and muffler after soaking in WD40 and a scrub with a stiff bristle brush, did the same with gentle fine steel wool to the oem muffler, very effective.

I removed the giant circlip from the inside of the rear wheel hub, cleaned and shimmed the rubber cush drive components
(with 5 pc of flat, 3 mm rubber strip sourced from Clarke rubber) as they were slightly worn and the hub had a bit of slack. 
Moly grease on the splines, Marine grease for the axle and bearings, locktite for all pinch bolts, axle nut and calliper bolts, all torqued down to spec.

Went for a short test ride and find the new tyres are great, the bike feels like a sport bike now!    :clap

turns into corners effortlessly and very gripy!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:06:02 PM by zevk »
Zev

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Michelin Pilot 4 fitted
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:14:48 PM »
Purchased a pair of new Pilot 4's from Scotty’s in Ringwood, Vic. 1 work hour, $519, i brought him the loose wheels. 

I took my time, re assembling the wheels incl. inspection and cleaning of all related components incl brakes, callipers and exhaust.

All the stubborn little black tar spots come off the chasis, rims and muffler after soaking in WD40 and a scrub with a stiff bristle brush, did the same with gentle fine steel wool to the oem muffler, very effective.

I removed the giant circlip from the inside of the rear wheel hub, cleaned and shimmed the rubber cush drive components
(with 5 pc of flat, 3 mm rubber strip sourced from Clarke rubber) as they were slightly worn and the hub had a bit of slack. 
Moly grease on the splines, Marine grease for the axle and bearings, locktite for all pinch bolts, axle nut and calliper bolts, all torqued down to spec.

Went for a short test ride and find the new tyres are great, the bike feels like a sport bike now!    :clap

Mmmm.......might have to take the Mighty ST1300 for a visit to Scotty's for a pair PR4's myself.  Was the $519 for the GT spec or Standard spec?  Best price I have found (after a short look) is $579 for the GT; $519 sounds better.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:22:47 PM »
Come to north Brisbane.  PR4GTs fitted including moly grease to splines: $455.      :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:25:49 PM »
I think it would be GT spec, as standard arent suitable for the weight of the ST
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:26:49 PM »
Gt spec
Zev

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:27:15 PM »
Come to north Brisbane.  PR4GTs fitted including moly grease to splines: $455.      :grin

Sounds even better, and a bonus trip back to SEQ.  Don't think that'll happen though.

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »
Biggles,
Best I have found is $520. Where did get the good price?
Sean
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
Biggles,
Best I have found is $520. Where did get the good price?
Sean

Northside Motorcycle Workshop
Brendale
3889 6466

But ya gotta be good lookin' !      :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline ppopeye

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »
In Melbourne also try Dynoverks in Boronia/Knox. 9887 1655
ppopeye

I never ride faster than my angel can fly!

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
Biggles,
Thanks. I will tell them you sent me. Should be ok.
Regards
Sean.
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 08:30:28 AM »
Biggles,
Thanks. I will tell them you sent me. Should be ok.
Regards
Sean.

You need to call to make sure he's got them in stock.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »

Mmmm.......might have to take the Mighty ST1300 for a visit to Scotty's for a pair PR4's myself.  Was the $519 for the GT spec or Standard spec?  Best price I have found (after a short look) is $579 for the GT; $519 sounds better.

Booked into Scottys for PR4's and a service, all-up likely to come out around $1K lighter.  I'll let yuse know how I and the Mighty ST1300 go.

In the meantime, Scottys' website is pretty easy to get your way around - http://www.scottysdirtbikespares.com/category-s/2019.htm - they even quotes tyre prices, which from my experience is not that usual.

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »
Williamson hi,

I had the PR4's fit by Glenn at Scotty's last Friday and was pleased with the tidy workshop area and Glenns knowledge / experience.
I brought loose wheels to him and he had it complete in less than an hour.
He did quote $10 less on the phone when I booked in and gave little explanation why the price was $10 more on payment...

who will do the service for your bike and has he had many ST1300 experience in the past? from what I have seen they are mostly GasGas manuf.  and dirt bike servicing...

Zev

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
Got the Michelin Pilot Road 4's fitted yesterday at Scotty's in Ringwood. No first impression as yet, only done 25km in the wet, perhaps next weekend a longer ride.

Old tyres. Some say it's never too early to replace your tyres. I think this is the case with the old rear, it was a bit worn:

I put the overall poor wear down to low tyre pressure (must keep them at 42PSI), too many straight roads, and many km towing the trailer.

The exposure steel cords are probably due to a few km, perhaps more than a few km, of running on very low pressure when I had the flat between Oberon and Goulburn. I could feel the tyre going flat, handling getting worse, I should have put some air in it when I could, but I thought I would get to the next town (Taragala).

A very expensive lesson, but it could have been worse.

Offline ppopeye

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
Michael you got your moneys worthon the old ones
ppopeye

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Offline Nigel

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »
Michael were they your original Bridgstone 016`s?...................................Man that's running close to the bone......Good to know the local availability of the Michelin's, hopefully in 1100 size too. Probably need them for Perth :eek.............................. :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
Michael I recall you wrote Scottys replaced both tyres and service.   How much did they charge for tyres?  Glenn at Scottys charged me 519 aud but I brought loose wheels to him. Also out of interest,  How much was the service, major or minor what did they do and are you happy with the outcome?
Zev

Offline ppopeye

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »
Michael I recall you wrote Scottys replaced both tyres and service.   How much did they charge for tyres?  Glenn at Scottys charged me 519 aud but I brought loose wheels to him. Also out of interest,  How much was the service, major or minor what did they do and are you happy with the outcome?

Zevk, I got Bridgestone T30 GTs from Dynoverks in Boronia for 495. Just gave them the bike. May be worth checking with them also. It was mid last year.
ppopeye

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »

Tyres - $519.00 for the PR4's fitted to the rims, $66.00 for removing and re-fitting the wheels.  Previous three tyre changes I've done that myself as I normally wouldn't pay that much.  However, at the moment I'm time-poor (work pressure and long hours) but cashed-up (a benefit of the work pressure and long hours), I didn't mind too much.

Service - originally I was gonna take the bike in mid-week, but the work pressure and long hours got in the way.  I was already told that the Scotty's mechanic (I think that's Ron) does not work Saturdee, so that has been deferred to another day. 

Glenn did the tyre change, Scotty took the cash - a couple of chatty guys, interested in some of my bike stories (poor buggers have probably heard it all).

On a wall they have a Bathurst motorcycle lap-time ladder.  Glenn was on the top, Scotty on the bottom, lots of names in between, with their record times. 

I asked them if they wanted to put up my "record" time on the Mighty ST towing the Elite camper trailer.  They politely declined.

Mmmm, just remembered that I better do an oil and filter change.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Michael you got your moneys worth on the old ones

Not quite.  The rear had another 5k, and the front another 10k, but I changed 'em both.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »
Rear PR4 GT ordered.....$280 delivered, will fit myself  :like

And when I say delivered, I mean thrown over the side fence by the tyre dealer on his way home  ;-*

I still have 40% on my front PR3 to nibble away at....being 2UP nearly always has us go through 2 backs to a front most of the time.... :whistle

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 05:50:32 PM »
I still have 40% on my front PR3 to nibble away at....being 2UP nearly always has us go through 2 backs to a front most of the time.... :whistle

Whoa. That's a serious load back there.  Does Pockey take her mother with her?

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
My new PR4's now have 500 km on them and today I had a fantastic 200 km ride thru Gembrook, Hoddles creek, Belgrave and Dandenong ranges.

All roads were wet, windy and had leaf debris, would usually go slow and steady riding, but.....

HANDS DOWN  :-++ these are simply the BEST tyres I have ever had. I was able to travel at quicker speeds and turns, than my PR3's on DRY roads!

Confidence inspiring, easy to turn in and out with no hesitation and not once, despite heavy acceleration, trying to make them slip in a bend, was I successful.

highly recommended to all!

Zev

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »
what about just the rear 180.
T n T

I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 10:52:20 PM »
what about just the rear 180.
T n T

Dunno- I use the 170/60ZR17

Give Simon in Brendale a call on 3889 6466 and get a quote.  Tell 'im Bill of the red ST1300 sent ya.
Seeing the prices in this thread I think I'm his favorite customer.  Could help that I'm there every six months.    :grin