Author Topic: single wheel trailer??  (Read 5014 times)

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
single wheel trailer??
« on: July 11, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »
Has anyone on here made their own single wheeled trailer?

F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: single wheel trailer??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »
Has anyone on here made their own single wheeled trailer?

STeveo is your man...... :like
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
H spanner,

pm sent,
Winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »
I just received an email from these guys http://madmaxtrailers.com/ saying they have a couple of second hand trailers available.  $1500 and $1800 respectively for a black one and a white one.
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sanctuary-point/motorcycles/20th-anniversary-goldwing-1994/1115891633

IMHO, that looks very ordinary (I hope the seller doesn't frequent these parts).

I also don't see any advantage of a single wheel trailer, whereas the advantages of the conventional two wheel trailer are many:

*  Generally larger and capable of carrying more gear (if that's what you need).

*  After a short ride it is hardly noticeable.

*  If a light smaller trailer, like my Classic Ultralite, it does not restrict riding or the performance of the bike (especially with bikes I've towed with, eg. CB1300 and ST1300). 

On the other hand, larger trailers like my former Classic LT and my current Elite Camper are heavy, require (IMO) brakes, are noticeable in areas of performance, fuel consumption and braking - not all that noticeable in terms of handing, but that probably due to my conservative riding style.

Being on my third trailer, perhaps I'm biased.

Open to comments / advice that might convince me otherwise.

I just received an email from these guys http://madmaxtrailers.com/ saying they have a couple of second hand trailers available.  $1500 and $1800 respectively for a black one and a white one.

A good Classic could be around $500, like my Ultralite.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:04:22 PM by Williamson »
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »

I also don't see any advantage of a single wheel trailer, whereas the advantages of the conventional two wheel trailer are many:

]

I have a two wheeled trailer and love it for the purpose I need a two wheeled trailer for such as carting bales of hay, taking rubbish to the dump etc.,  but ..........

-three wheel tracks vs just a single wheel track so when the rough QLD roads have pot holes you don't have to decide if it is the bike OR the trailer that is going to hit                       the                 pot hole.    You can drive around them just like being on the bike.
-huge fuel consumption because of the non aerodynamic design
-a big trailer induces me to carry waaaaaay more than I need
-I do LONG trips ( Townsville - Brisbane - Townsville) regularly and need just that little bit more space than my panniers provide but not so much that I want to full trailer load
- the bike is still thin enough to allow filtering at traffic lights when safe and able to do so
- it still enables all the benefits of a single track line WITH a trailer and not any of the disadvantages of a three wheeled track line. kinda like my opinion on trikes. They have all the disadvantages of a car and bike and non of the advantages ...... in my own opinion of course ..... don't be hateing me trike owners.   :crackup
-it LOOKS specky!
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »
Here is the one I started to build for my 1100 before it burnt, so I modded the tow bar to fit my 650cc Dominator. Worked a dream and had to keep looking in the mirror to see if it was still there. It caused the 650 to use almost one litre more per 100Km. Braking was much the same, although I could feel the extra weight when coming to a stop. Balancing was the same as if I had a pillion passenger, once moving was not noticable.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »
On behalf os Winston.

An article on the construction of his mono wheel trailer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pvw2erzrkbxjbk/mono%20wheel%20trailer%20build%20costings.pdf?dl=0
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 10:42:06 PM »
Who worries about pot holes when towing the trailer; I don't. My classic would only be marginally wider than the width of the 1100s side cases though I wouldn't attempt filtering.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »
Dont need a single trailer but Steveo could you detail your hitch using the uni joint with a description and close up photos.
Cheers  :wht11
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 10:57:01 AM »

but ..........

-three wheel tracks vs just a single wheel track so when the rough QLD roads have pot holes you don't have to decide if it is the bike OR the trailer that is going to hit                       the                 pot hole.    You can drive around them just like being on the bike.
-huge fuel consumption because of the non aerodynamic design
-a big trailer induces me to carry waaaaaay more than I need
-I do LONG trips ( Townsville - Brisbane - Townsville) regularly and need just that little bit more space than my panniers provide but not so much that I want to full trailer load
- the bike is still thin enough to allow filtering at traffic lights when safe and able to do so
- it still enables all the benefits of a single track line WITH a trailer and not any of the disadvantages of a three wheeled track line. kinda like my opinion on trikes. They have all the disadvantages of a car and bike and non of the advantages ...... in my own opinion of course ..... don't be hateing me trike owners.   :crackup
-it LOOKS specky!

Some items I had not considered, but perhaps VIC roads are better than QLD roads. 

Haven't do much riding in QLD and less north of Maryborough, but most recent was in 2013 and then 2015.  In 2013 (after the Ulysses AGM at Maryborough) we rode some B and C roads from to Tiari to Toowoomba via Kilkivan and Nanango.  Despite some locals advising us not to ride these roads "as they are cr@p after the recent floods", the roads were surprisingly very good.  In 2015, I thought the roads were in pretty good nick too.  But it's a long way from Townsville and road conditions likely to be vastly different.

Re. fuel consumption, I have found very little difference (around 0.5litre / 100km) with the Classic Ultralite.  A bigger difference (around 1.5litre / 100km) with the Elite (at legal speeds and gentle acceleration), but a huge difference (3 to 4litre / 100km) if riding fast and hard.

Lane-splitting?  Very rare these days and not an issue for me.

Looks specky?  I don't agree, especially the mono trailer behind the Wing.  The same certainly goes for the Elite, but the Classic behind the ST1300 looks pretty neat (IMO).

You gotta love that, even if just for the pooch.

Who worries about pot holes when towing the trailer; I don't. My classic would only be marginally wider than the width of the 1100s side cases though I wouldn't attempt filtering.

Mmmm ...... I agree.  If the road / track is that rough and pot holed, my speed will be low and my concentration will be to avoid the pot holes on the bike, the trailer just follows.  Whether the trailer wheels go through a pot hole is incidental, and due to the low speed probably inconsequential.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
STeveo,

Did you draw up any plans or document the build in any way or did you just build it from your vast skill base  :rockon on spec.?

Cheers,

F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
Just used the 'necktop' computor.
I looked at heaps of photos on the net, what I had to use and what looked right. Seemed to work out fine.
PS, this was the 26th trailer I had built and the smallest.  :grin

This is the best picture I have of the hitch (you may have to enlarge it to see better). It was a cat 1 tractor PTO shaft to which I welded a piece of 40x40x6mm RHS. This fitted into a piece of 50x50x5mm RHS with a 1/2" High Tensile pin through it. I did find that I had to weld a 10mm nut over a 12mm hole in the bottom of the bike hitch, with a bolt with a 'handle' welded to the head for purchase to keep it tight and stop any 'wiggling' of the coupling. Check with your state RTA as some of these require an ADR number to be stamped on them before they will be allowed on the road.

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 05:26:21 PM »
 ++
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500