Author Topic: Rebuilding Quad bikes and Thumpstars  (Read 1243 times)

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
Rebuilding Quad bikes and Thumpstars
« on: September 29, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Winston66, Northampton WA.
Have recently found a demand for cheap off road Quad bikes. Have rebuilt and sold on about 20 units since last Xmas.
So far I have manged to acquire most of them by advertising locally for dead units and offering to either fix them for the present owners or paying them something for the broken down units as generally they have lost interest , (possibly the son, daughter has grown up and left home), and the local dealers want their $110.00 to $150.00 per hour plus parts for any repairs carried out.
I find the cheap Chinese models most popular and not too difficult to get going again . The motors and mechanicals seem to be quite robust and do not present many problems.
The biggest issues are generally associated with electrical,  switches etc,(poor wiring), and needing some new white man  magic  componentry,  new Carburetors, chains , sprockets ,batteries ,and general maintenance and adjustment etc.
It is an interesting and rewarding pastime for me as I get to use some of the grey matter and make a couple of dollars as well.
One of the things that I like is that there is very little  financial risk or cost involved to me.
One of the biggest hassles and time consuming things is stripping the plastic body work off and then replacing said parts, so sometimes bits are purposely left off.
Cheers to all,
Winston66, Northampton, Western austalia
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Rebuilding Quad bikes and Thumpstars
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »
Thats very enterprising of you Winston, you have found niche market .
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA