Author Topic: Trip report Augusta Feb 16 2013  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Trip report Augusta Feb 16 2013
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »
Well woke up at 0530, had a shower and climbed into my OzSTOC shirt and Kevlar jeans and had a breakfast of Coffee, Cereal (and medication). Bike was ready, Stealth HD fitted, GPS in the topbox along with the Radar Detector, tank was full, it was 0700 and I was ready to go. WAit a minute, my DC Lead was missing its not in the left pocket... no time to look so off I go.

On to the Freeway at the far north end, throttle lock set at 100Ks, no traffic. 0740 hit the point where Yorkie and Johno should be entering, no sign so kept going. Folk in the right lane were kindly moving left, so had a clear run to the 110K zone, so reset the lock and droned on, until an hour later I arrived at the outskirts of Bunbury. Phone started vibrating, so did the right thing and ignored it. dont have bluetooth headset so cant talk any way. 

10 Min later rolled in to the Caltex at Dalyup, where I was to meet up with Silky at 0930-1000. Time check... 0900. :eek :eek  Damn it early again, oh well plenty of time for a coffee and a snack. As I roll into the carpark, I saw Turtle (he had tried to ring me I soon found out) parked over on the left hand side, sitting in the gutter, so pulled up near him, and had a chat for a while. No Silky by the way.

After about 15 Minutes, Yorkie and Johno rolled in, they had stopped at a servo the other side of Bunbury, and had seen me cruise past. There was a large gathering of low range cruiser bikes, with attendant utes with trailers (full of camping gear) obviously going for an overnighter some where.

Next post has a short video of the car park.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
Re: Trip report Augusta Feb 16 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »

Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »
By the way, Silky turned up, he fueld up grabbed a drink, eased his bum and we were ready to roll again at 1000, managed to leave before the crowd.

We hit the road as a group, cruied down the road to Margret river, turned right and headed for Caves road. This was a nice gently winding (in parts any way) road through the trees for about 100 Ks untill we got to Augusta. No video from the Stealth HD, as due to no power, (I think) it didnt record a single frame. We rolled into Augusta at 1130 ish, and found some where to park the bikes. The bays were full of Farriders. Johno used the remaing spabe where I parked, to squeeze in , litteraly. As he leaned over on to the side stand, his panier ever so slightly caressed mine. This meant, I couldnt get my Samsung tablet out, and he couldnt put his jacket away..

So off to lunch at the Pub where we found STRay Scarp and Digby with the FarRadiers (at least Scarp had the OzSTOC shirt on)

Here is a pic shamelessly stolen from another thread. Thanks Scarp.

Yorkie, Brock, Turtle, Scarp, Johno and Ray. Missing, Digby and Silky

Here is a view from the back lawn

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:19:07 PM by Brock »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:48:15 PM »
After lunch, of Steak sandwiches, that were very quick to arrive, a few glasses of soda water or whatever a bit of a chinwag it was 1300 and about time to head off for home.

We were finally ready, goddbyes said. Silky and Scarp were remaining overnight (no not together) and off to Bunbury to top up fuel for Turtle and Yorkie. Johno and I filled at Augusta. The route was direct to Margret River, Busselton, Dalyup. Cowaramup was interesting, statues of cows every where. didnt get a pic so here is one stolen from the net

The Police had what seemed to be a speed trap / random breath stop at Margret river. No problem for us, and speeds were good and they were busy with a bus load of drunk winery tour folk.

After an unevent full run to Dalyup, a quick pee stop a drink get the arse kinks out, we again hit the road north with Turtle leading.After a while, Turtle seemed to get stuck behind a slow car ( there were a few of them, that caused bursts of speed on passing lanes. wont say how fast, and the evidence has been cleared from my GPS) So I passed him and the car, set the lock for 110ish and got ready for 1'5hrs of boring cruising on the freeway. Turtle caught up after a while, but we lost Johno and Yorkie. About 10Ks out of Perth, Turtle said goodbye and peeled off, leaving me on my own to deal with the gathering traffic.

As my bum was getting sore, I was thirsty and feeling a bit dehydrated, I decidedto stop in Perth for a break and refreshment. So to the Mustang Bar on Lake St Northbridge I went. Rode up the foot path, and parked accross the front of a car next to a tree at the front of the pub. I got past security, sat down and ordered a cold glass of water. Its true, just ask my daughter, she served me. I lso had a pint of midstrength, two actually and then off home.

So no video of the road, and some of my pics didnt work so will need others to fill them in.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »
Very nice day out, to all appearances, Brock.
Looks like you made good use of great weather, although it may have been warm.
Thanks for the pic of the westies.

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »
Well done.  Nice write up.

Offline Silky

• Honda man from way back
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:17:00 AM »
Got up fairly early and packed the essentials for an overnight campout , despite the amount of gear I took it was only for one night not a week , extra tin of  baked beans and tin of tuna (cat food ?) for each day on .

My ride down the hill from Collie was nice and steady although I did notice that my kit bag carrying my self inflating airbed and tent , spare clothes etc was blocking my view slightly in the mirrors . This is the first time I've carried this stuff and may have to rig another tempory mirror up for when I cart the air bed or alternatively get a different bed set up.
My first priority was to get gasoline when I got to Dallyelup Caltex and then I'd be good for at least 400k , I spotted Brock amounst the surging throng of motorcycle enthusiasts , most of whom where bound for Windy Harbour on an annual overnight run that raises money for Lukemia Research .

I had the option to go on that ride but prefered to go with 5 others for lunch rather than 50 plus , my reasoning being that if 1 in 10 is a bit obnoxious when drunk then I would have maybe 5 idiots to contend with later and I'd prefer just to have a quiet night instead . Must be getting old.

As it was I met up with some loonies and we got a bit drunk but that was later .....

I met Turtle for the first time , always good to meet new people with the same interests , but it was a busy carpark and time for us to depart and beat the rush .
I had decided to ride at the rear but when we left the servo I was in the lead so I pulled over and then took up my position at the rear .
As we went through Busselton some peanut tried to kill me on a round about and blasted their horn at me because they felt I should have braked hard and given them right of way . I thought about this as I rode on , we were five bikes in a row and this impatient bastard decided to push his or her way through between me and Yorkie in their Landciuser wagon , how hard would it have been to have just allowed us to all flow through in the obviously same direction . Technically I was in the wrong but the Cruiser didn't have it's left hand indicator on so I assumed it was going around the same direction as us and I did probably cut them off  :cuss slow down you idiots  >:()

I can't remember how long it is since I've ventured down to Augusta so this was new territory to me as the towns we went through have changed so much , I would like to have stopped at Margret River to get off the bike and have a little stretch but Brock was on a mission and when we got onto Cave Roads proper even though we stuck to the speed limit , these guys showed their riding finese in the twisties , some with a posted 70 kph limit and some at 90 kph . I noticed on a count of heads that we had gained an extra machine and noted that it was a K75 BMW running a pillion when we got into Augusta and got a decent enough look to identify the bike.
Rather than park next to Yorkie and Turtle which would have caused the Winnebago behind us to have difficulty in getting out I parked outside the imformation centre and took this opportunity to get some clues on the best place for me to camp plus I wanted to look up an old chap probably about 80 now who was my supervisor as an apprentice that I knew had retired to Augusta.
When I caught up with the Ozstoc crew they had met up with some Farride people and had taken up some tables overlooking the river mouth on the lawn at the rear of the pub .
Service was lightning fast and I got to meet Scarp and STRay .
As well as having his mirror shroud hanging off Yorkie lost his appertite and some of his lunch on the lawn which was later cleaned up by the seagulls .

No rest for the main group and I bid them fare well , we spoke of catching up again later at York but for me I was in no rush to go anywhere and walked back to where I was parked to do do a bit of sight seeing .
I came across a radical looking bike outside the Fire Station and went back for a second look thinking at first it may have been a 650 Yamaha or even a 450 dohc Honda twin , it turned out to be a 650 Benelli Tornado , a most unlikely subject for a custom but refreshing in it's uniqueness (not just another Harley) I had a yarn with the owner and he showed an interest in the ST as a possible bike for some touring he wanted to do in Europe and I was glad to inform him of the big Honda's merits as well as it's Pan European heritage and the fact that these bikes were designed for the European market.

I rang Ed my old boss with no answer so cruised out to the Flinder's Bay Caravan Park as this was the one I had decided upon . Luck was with me and I secured a small bay suitable for my needs and just below a gas babeque setup with views of Flinder's Bay , close to the shower block and a short walk to the ocean.

My only complaint was phone reception but on a walk later once the tent was up I managed to call home and let the missus know all was well.
I chose this park over the other one because they are dog friendly and I will definately be coming back here again with my wife and two mutts .
I took a few pictures on my walk which took me out as far as the road went then back along the rocky shore .

I cooked up my marinated roo steaks and egg burger deluxe's and got chatting with some people from Manjimup which involved some beers as the sun went down and carried on till midnight at least .... we had some laughs

In the morning , after breakfast on the hill looking out to sea , it started to cloud over and  :fp not good I'd left the wet weather gear at home , I begged a coffee from my neighbours the Manjimup mob then got the bike packed and hit the road about 9.00am .
It drissled mostly but did break into rain proper about 20 k out of Nannup , visibility not being 100% for me with fogging up glasses and moisture on the inside of the visor saw me taking it nice and steady on the Nannup to Ballingup route I'd chosen , Met up with a few of the Harley boys at Kirup where I had a free coffee for the driver , a pastie , a rest off the bike and a leak .
Sandhills road - Charlie Creek Road short cut across to just below Yabberup then on past the Mumballup Pub (didn't stop) turn left then on into Collie with a big stupid grin I arrived home a new man .... Bounder of adventure has returned .

Last Sunday I cooked , this week I drowned .... actually the rain was fairly good and could have been much worse .

446 Kilometres on the Batmobile ... Yeah Baby  :rockon
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:53:18 PM by Silky »
Silky's law of location
No matter where you go
There you are ...

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 05:38:39 AM »
A couple of nice reports there guys, thanks for sharing :beer
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:37:49 AM »
Great write up Guys, Thanks

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
Sounds like a great ride  :thumb  haven't seen a Benelli Tornado is years, and it is not as if they were common when they first came out either.  I have seen more of the six cylinder Benellis.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
Nice report Silky.

Some statistics for those interested (or not)

Total rime on the road 9 Hrs, 1.5 Hrs for lunch at Augusta.
Distances  365.5 Ks to Augusta, 355.1 return trip. Total 720.7 (GPS said 748)
Fuel used 18.09     18.31 (City traffic didnt help) Total 36.4 L
Average moving speed 96.1KPH, trip average (not counting lunch) 80.1 Max Speed recorded.. Not saying.

Ks/L  20.21 goin, 19.39 return (City traffic) trip average 198Kc/L

Ks donre in one day = two weeks of going to work, but only used 1.5 weeks worth of fuel..

Its cheaper to go for a day ride, than go to work for a two weeks.. :beer :beer :beer
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
Its cheaper to go for a day ride, than go to work for a two weeks.. :beer :beer :beer

Well, the moral of the story is obvious then...
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »
Forgot to mention, the bike is now officialy run in. Odo went through 100000 Ks on the way back to Margret River
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Silky

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »
I went back and added pictures in my ride report .... check out the Benelli Bobber , you won't see one of these every day.

Brock ... my speedo clicked over the 100,000 k's last weekend and my friend Kylie reports that she also cracked the ton this weekend on a trip to Sue's Bridge on her Triumph .

Must be something about older folk on older bikes  :beer
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:52:11 PM by Silky »
Silky's law of location
No matter where you go
There you are ...

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
Pictures made all the difference, how did the bike handle with the swag, re wind etc

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
I was just about to ask the same question Marcus?? and the answer is ???

Good write up and pictures.

Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
Beautiful restoration of the Benelli, complete with the leather pouch.  I reckon it would make a rcket with those pipes!

Offline Silky

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
Pictures made all the difference, how did the bike handle with the swag, re wind etc

Didn't seem to notice any difference , occy strapped it to the neat swing out gadgets attached to bottom of the seat and it worked well apart for the slight vision issue or non vision issue with the low slung mirrors .
Silky's law of location
No matter where you go
There you are ...

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »
Thanks Silky
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Silky

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »
My pleasure Abe

And just for Biggles

Another angle of the Bobber  :thumbsup
Silky's law of location
No matter where you go
There you are ...

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
Thanks, mate.  That's a long kick starter but I still reckon it would take someone of substance to get her going.  Maybe Brock?
You'd never get away with a rear mudguard like that these days.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »
Awesome reports guys :hatwave
Thanks for sharing them with us :-++

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 08:47:23 AM »
Awesome stuff thanks men.     :rockon

Looks like you're still living the dream Silky.

One thing hasn't changed over the years - when you can shake off life's encumbrances for even a little while and hit the road on a bike - all seems GOOD!      :thumb        :-++

Thanks for sharing gents - most entertaining.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au