Author Topic: How did you come to join OzSTOC?  (Read 32786 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: How did you come to join OzSTOC?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 05:03:21 PM »
How did you come to join OzSTOC?

Vote and tell us how you came to be part of this fantastic club of Honda ST Owners  :thumb

We would really appreciate everyone's votes and feedback as it will be a guide to what is most successful for us  :thumbsup

Its interesting seeing where and how people found us, I am loving the little stories, great stuff people, Looking forward to reading a whole lot more!
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
Bought my bike from a mate and started doing a little search on the Internet, Found OzSTOC and loving every moment.

A big thank you to all involved.

Friendly people and great advice are just the start of what makes up this Family.
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »
I owned a Kawasaki GTR1000 before I got the chance to ride a Honda ST1300 and I was a member of GTR-AUS
I liked the forum because of all the information and same minded people on the forum
So when I was thinking of purchasing a ST1300 first thing I went straight to my computer and Googled Honda ST1300
and up it come. After purchasing my first 02 ST1300, I didn't log on for about 6 months, but I am pleased I did.
Great Forum  :grin Great People  :grin Great Bike  :grin
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:05:43 PM by Wild Rose »
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline JohnoJ

• Switchback
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »
Searched on the internet. I was entertained as a guest for a while. Found where the WA members went for a RTE. I joined after that. :wht11
Happy, friendly people that may not be the best athletes are more fun than arrogant "experts".

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »
Dont really remember how I found OzSTOC, it may have been STOC USA or word of mouth. But here I am.

I remember telling AVTrician a few times to check out the Yahoo email site - just didn't expect him to bring quite as big a stick with him!!!!

I remember finding the old email group after being on the US site and then consistently introducing new members to them after I had scribbled down my details and placed them on their ST. (In the days BEFORE OzSTOC cards). There are many Stalwarts here from those days. I'd organised a few RTEs on the email site before a young chap introduced himself and asked if anyone could babysit his ST1100 that was to be trucked down from FNQ. The chap's name was Graeme - yep - THAT one! Tipsy said "no wurries", and an impromptu meeting at the Dayboro Pub took place where Streak and I eyeballed each other for the first time.

After that, we started talking about offering a better service to these (Yahoo Email) legends. We voted on a logo, and got some patches made up, because that same chap said he could get it organised! A vote was put to them to get a website together. We had an early attempt at a Free website, but we got what we paid for....

The Members kept coming thick and fast as new STs were discovered, and OzSTOC was starting to come up in search engine results. The Members all then responded beautifully to a call for funding to get a proper website with forum software up and running, so we were able to get the current version of OzSTOC.com up and running. We remember hitting the milestone of 50 members and being a little overwhelmed then!  lol

Now we enjoy National and International exposure, a complete apparel and accessory e-commerce shop, regular state by state RTEs, a National Annual Meeting, Video support, media coverage, Manufacturer support, sponsorships, an extremely diverse depth of knowledge and experience from ST riders, an extraordinarily 500 strong Membership (per capita of single model ownership), and participation rates that other forums can only dream of. WOW!

Awesome stuff OzSTOCers!

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 11:00:33 PM »
I've voted in the Yahoo option but that's not really how it happened.

I looked at the Yahoo site a couple of times but didn't really sign up on it as it appeared to be a bit amateurish compared to the USA sites so I signed on with them and the Honda PanEuropean Owners Club in the UK.

Then, after a while, I spotted the post on ST-Owners.com asking if there was anyone out there who would be interested in forming an Australian ST forum, I was, I did and the rest, as they say, is history.

I am also a proud member of the Blue Knights but if I was given the ultimatum of only being able to stay with one group, then I would have to go for OZSTOC without doubt.

Like many others, I never go anywhere without a pocket full of OZSTOC cards. I live near a Honda Dealer and whenever I see any ST's for sale there, I make sure each one ends up with a card in their Pie-warmer.

I've had motorists, even a BUS driver, tell me at the Traffic Lights, that they've got a ST at home so I hand them a card (much to the annoyance of other motorists when the lights change and I'm still putting my gloves back on).

Like all other OZSTOC members, I'm truly proud to be one of the 500 and will continue to spread the word about these amazing machines.

TO ALL MEMBERS: Thank you all for makeing this exlusive group of people who we are today.

Poppy Dave
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
Us ST-Owners forum lead me into the old Yahoo group......and here we all are today.  :clap

:beer

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »
I'd seen ST1300's around Townsville from time to time and really like the look and style and was eventually able to buy the STead I have.

Once I got her home I was searching the Internet (google) to find out more information on this magical motorbike.

I came across OzSTOC joined/registered and the rest is history...

Strange point, the ST's I used to see around town before buying mine are not the ST's in the Club up here as I remember seeing a Blue and a Silver yet I'm the only Blue up here and there are no Silvers.
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »
I found Ozstoc whilst searching the internet for maintenance tips.  I did a lot of browsing on the U.S. site, ST-owners I think but that's in the past now.
I think we make a pretty strong collective, wonder how we rate against member numbers of other bike clubs representing a single model.

Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Alfred

• ST Legend
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
I wanted to start riding again as I stopped when work travel got in the way.  I was looking for a sports tourer and narrowed it down to either the ST1100 (even though I didn't own one in the past, I had access to one anytime I wanted), a FJ1200 (my last bike before now) or a K100RT (which I am currently riding) and started to surf the web for info and forums.  Looked at a few sites and found that K100 forums and OzSTOC were the most active sites and have since stuck with them since.

Even though I don't have an ST at the moment, the search for the right one is still on!
2006 ST1300P

Offline RubenCan

• Tipovers = 3.
  • Legendary Member
  • 1992 ST 1100
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 04:20:42 PM »
I was doing a search for the new bike (about a year ago now) and fount the USA ST-Owners and from there fount the OZSTOC site. I have not looked back since then. Great bunch of people and a world of information.

Thanks Guys
Ruben
 :dred11   :blu13  :
1st Bike - 1980 Honda CB250N
2nd Bike - 1978 Suzuki GS750
3rd Bike - The current STeed 1992 ST1100
4th Bike - Also current Steed 2015 F6B
5th Bike - Also current STeed 2005 ST1300
Ulysses # 61761 StGeorge Sutherland Branch
OZSToc # 145

Turtle

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
It all started will a search and look now I have this bug that I must ride my ST with other people with the same bug hope they don't find a cure  :rofl

Turtle

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
Was looking to buy a Goldwing, and got distracted by these ST's. Bought one and upon looking for information came across this wonderful group.   :thumbsup

:bl11

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
After buying my then new 08 ST1300 (charcoal) from Penrith and rode it home to Brisvegas I started looking on the net for any information about the bike. I found the yahoo site first then the US site... It wasnt long after that someone added an Aussie section to the US forum.
It was a short time after that Dave asked if any ST riders around Brisbane would like to meet up for a RTE and I thought...why not... It was a good run up through the north coast hinterland and I think from these humble beginnings two things happened....... 1) The idea of an ST group started to manifest itself inside Daves head and.........2) Thay say first impressions are everlasting.....so I behaved myself for the first hour then the temtation to carve up the corners got too great ...twisted the wrist resulting in a reputation ( good or bad ...not sure)
By coincidence I bumped into one of the early villians at a Macca's today...it was really good to see Mark again....he has moved on to a new Beemer GS1200. But the funny thing was he introduced me to his mate as ' The fastest guy he has ever seen riding an ST'  Hillarious!!     1st impressions  :rofl
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline Pete

• ST1300A
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
I originally found the US ST Owners website via Google which directed me to the Yahoo OzStoc group & also the rest is history.
Haven’t looked back since!!
Pete

Ulyssesian #56030
Red Metallic 2008 ST1300

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »
wrist resulting in a reputation ( good or bad ...not sure)

By coincidence I bumped into one of the early villians at a Macca's today...it was really good to see Mark again....he has moved on to a new Beemer GS1200. But the funny thing was he introduced me to his mate as ' The fastest guy he has ever seen riding an ST'  Hillarious!!     1st impressions  :rofl

Reputation?  Bad.  I've followed you from a distance (ever increasing...)

Ah, so that's what happened to Skid Mark.  Went over to that dark side.  Pity.  I could have warned him!

And that Dayboro pub meeting.  Was honoured to be there.  Teela was there too.
And wasn't that where Tipsy got his name?   :crackup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline RexJ

• Corinda, Qld
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 07:01:14 PM »
I was idling through the the web late one night, looking at secondhand bikes before, I bought my 1100 and discovered the name OzSTOC.
Being bug eyed after about 4 hours on the net :crazy I couldn't figure out how you'd get such a bloody stupid name for a group of Honda bike riders. I guess the dots didn't line up beneath the folical patch.  :whistle

After I bought the Maroon Mood Mover I was back on line one night, feeling all gooey about being a two wheeler scene stealer again, there you all were - waiting for me!

I couldn't resist the temptation of being associated with you lot, given the choice between dreaming of being one of the Dirty Dozen, of one of Kelly's Heroes, or even in a union, the force was so strong in you, I joined.  :hatwave :runyay  :clap  :clap

The rest shall be history - one day.

:dred11

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
I think I came across from the original Yahoo group, as I was head hunted (I think) by either Streak or Diesel. Terrible when you can't remember a couple of years back  :p
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 08:17:16 PM »
 :wht11 py

I was in the yahoo forum when it died of and came over with Streak and Diesel when they got this one started.

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »

And that Dayboro pub meeting.  Was honoured to be there.  Teela was there too.
And wasn't that where Tipsy got his name?   :crackup

Yep that original meeting, that's when I had picked up the ST1100 that I had bought sight unseen and we got to witness the creation of the Tipsy Nickname.....

Seems a long time ago now, would not trade a minute of this place for quids  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »
Streak & Diesel dragged me over from the US site, then as a few may remember I chucked my toys outa the pram a while ago & I'm sorta back. There are a lot of good people here many who I'm lucky to be able to call friends so thanks to you all
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:40:47 PM by scarp »
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
Streak & Diesel dragged me over from the US site, then as a few may remember I chucked my toys outa the pram a while ago & I'm sorta back. There are a lot of good people here many who I'm lucky to be able to call friends so thanks to you all

Good to have you back scarp  :thumb
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 11:55:04 PM »
I'd been a member of ST-owners.com and saw OzSToc advertised on the site and joined back in Dec 2011, never looked back.
Roll on the next 500 members.

:wht11

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »
I was a member of ST-Owners, but can't exactly recall how I ended up here. I think as part of my research before I bought Little Miss STealthy, I think I contacted Poppy Dave and West Aussie Glen (who were also on that site) to get their opinion, and eventually I ended up here. So, you can all blame them!
 :blk13
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Esstee 13

• Newly "Addicted" ST Owner
    • Photobucket
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 05:05:40 PM »
I came across the site just after i bought my ST1300 in January this year. I was google searching so i could tell everyone what a wonderful buy i had just got. This site popped up and i realised at the time it was me and about 380 others that were in the same boat. Love this site. :grin
 :rd13