Honda ST1300 Section > Oils, Oil Filters & Servicing ST1300

Oil Weights

(1/2) > >>

Biggles:
I was able recently to get my favourite oil (Gulf Western) in 15W-40 on special.  I was a bit anxious about using it because the Manual specifies 10W-40.
So I found this:

"LOW VISCOSITY MOTOR OIL
Low viscosity motor oils include oil weights like 10W, 10W-30, 5W-30, 5W-40. Oils such as these offer better lubrication at engine start-up, especially at low temperatures which leads to better fuel economy and engine wear protection.

What is more, engine manufacturers recommend the use of lower viscosity multi-grade oils in newer engines.

HIGH VISCOSITY MOTOR OIL
High viscosity motor oil like 15W, 15W-40, or 15W-50 are particularly good for application in high-mileage and older engines. They provide better engine protection at high temperatures and improve oil life, hence, drain intervals. Engine and seals wear with age and these high viscosity motor oils can help with leakage management."

My conclusion is the 15W-40 is generally better for our ageing STs because of their worn condition.

Discussion?

https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en-eur/understanding-oil-weights/

Brock:
Very rarely do we need 10 weight oil in engines in Oz, we dont usually try to start in sub-zero conditions..

The 15 (10) W, stands for Wintergrade..In Oz with the higher temps we need the second number to be at least 40, up to 60 in high temp zones..

ruSTynutz:
Not directly related (topic wise) but I found this post on another forum which some may find interesting...  :think1

Australian Market Engine Oils Suitable for Motorcycles

Brock:
I looked at some of the "Motor Cycle oils" and the main difference I found was the price. Thats why I use Penrite "Diesel " rated oils, they exceed he requirements for the bike, and most cars and are cheaper.. ( last a bit longer as well..)

Skip:

--- Quote from: Brock on April 10, 2023, 11:26:19 PM ---I looked at some of the "Motor Cycle oils" and the main difference I found was the price. Thats why I use Penrite "Diesel " rated oils, they exceed he requirements for the bike, and most cars and are cheaper.. ( last a bit longer as well..)

--- End quote ---

Some have even tried Diesel fuel in their ST.  :whistle   :13Candy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version