Author Topic: Motorcycle Quote of the Day  (Read 428712 times)

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Quote of the Day
« Reply #450 on: January 01, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
Next to painting the house, changing a motorcycle tire is the least pleasurable way to spend an afternoon. Yet the Travel Gods had smiled on me once more as a blowout occurred while white-lining through stalled border city traffic. Within seconds, a wobbling Blue Beast slowed to a graceful halt directly in front of a well-stocked motorcycle shop. Twenty minutes and four dollars later, we're back on the road with a new tube, a lubed drive chain and some new friends.  Even the last hundred miles in the rain to Bangkok was uplifting. Motorcycle maintenance is a constant.  For anything not welded solid, if there is a reason for it to wear under the bike's vibration, it will.  Holding out until Singapore to avoid the high-priced imported parts in Thailand wasn't going to work, and recalling a recent raping the hands of Bangkok motorcycle dealers, mercy was unlikely.  Up until now, the local's unwritten rule of two-tier pricing for taxi rides and trinkets has had minimal effect on my travel expenditures. But doubled prices for foreigners on already expensive BMW replacement parts means budget bites in the hundreds of dollars.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 244
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #451 on: January 02, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »
Slicing through Malaysian jungle terrain, a seamless asphalt corridor connecting the Thai border with Kuala Lumpur unravels for a straight 300 miles south.  With First World infrastructure, toll stations and chain restaurants replace noodle stands and traffic-clogged small towns.  Car drivers pay fees, but motorcyclists ride free in special lanes to the sides of toll booths.  At my first gas stop, passive Malays welcome me with thumbs-up gestures and the usual question, "Where are you coming from?”
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 253
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #452 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »
Without crossing any rivers, the trail appeared exactly where indicated, complete with a sign in three languages - "Road Closed " After verifying I had four gallons of fuel remaining, I reset the trip meter and switched on the GPS Breadcrumbs function to show a dotted line indicating the exact route I had just travelled.  It’s easy to get lost on the hundreds of forks and overrun trails throughout Borneo, but harnessing the technology of a half-dozen orbiting satellites evens the playing field. Yet this GPS is well-worn, and sometimes vibration shuts down the power connection, erasing recent tracks.
This could cause a problem on the way out.  The first three hours' ride is over a mixture of wheel-wiggling, rocky adobe and sandy gravel - a persistent reminder of departing off the beaten path.  At the 20-mile mark, a bulldozed raised barricade blocks the road.  The emptiness beyond is marked by multi- shaded green mountains cursed by trackless miles of mud trails and landslides.  As advised, the road has been abandoned, but has the jungle?  Why has the logging company sealed the forest?  Indigenous people around the world resent international corporations raping their natural resources. Would the natives accept or reject a wandering Westerner violating their isolated wilderness on a shiny blue riding machine?  Were tribal troubles ahead?
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 262-3

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #453 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:06 AM »
Through an early morning mist, the deteriorating trail grows thick with creeping vines and storm-eroded gullies.  It was a pleasant ride dry, but after a solid rain, the return trip would be a miserable, perilous slide.  How big a fool rides solo into an unforgiving rain forest hoping it will not rain?  Yesterday, the decision came down to whether I would keep spinning my wheels in Kapit or spin them in the forest.
The objective was to ride in as deep as possible the first day and take two more getting out. There was no way to judge how far the road would hold - 10 miles or 100?
Just before sunset, after getting buried to my axles in sucking mud one last time, I mark a GPS waypoint and record odometer readings - 55 miles of delightful, challenging jungle track in eight exhausting hours.  After setting up camp in the sweltering tropical heat, eating imported apples and canned sardines by the iridescent glow of a silvery rising moon served as the grand finale of an adventurous day.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 263-4

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #454 on: January 05, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »
Often, the quality of an adventure can be measured by what went wrong. But this week's deviation into the rain forest's mystical gardens ends as smoothly as it began. No flat tires, engine failures or tumbles off precarious rocky ledges. Poisonous spiders and snakes kept to themselves, while evil spirits attacked only those who believed in them.
Back in Kapit, local wharf workers lent a hand loading the motorcycle on the first boat heading downriver.  A pipe-smoking skipper, shirtless and sporting tattered, baggy shorts, was pleased to aid a man with wild dreams.  As a penetrating tropical sun caked layers of red clay on my boots, dreams of expanding horizons glowed like red- hot embers.  After this test run for the harsher conditions which reportedly existed on the other side of the island, I'm confident Kalimantan is passable.  My new challenge is laid out - to be the first person to circle the entire island of Borneo on two wheels.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 265

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #455 on: January 06, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
Over fried noodles and boiled eggs, Mr. Gkwa says he knows of a special machine shop that can make a new bushing and bolt for my crippled brake pedal. As one Chinese to another, a wave of his hand signals to the restaurant owner that breakfast is paid for, and we are off to solve my problems. The industrial zone winds through a 10-mile maze beyond Kota Kinabulu and into even rows of modern cement-block shops run by older men speaking only Chinese.  The creative genius of any machinist is amazing, especially when working from enormous piles of rusting salvaged steel. Instead of using his lathe to make a separate new bushing and bolt, this confident artist insists that carving a complex one-piece part is best. Considering the odds of calculating such precise measurements correctly and certain that German engineers had done it right the first time, I reiterate, "No, please just make a separate bushing and bolt."
He laughs, "I make. You no likey you no pay."
Nothing goes to waste in developing countries, especially scrapped metal. Verifying his eyeball calculations with micrometer checks, Mr Wong carefully trims a rusted old hexagon-shaped crowbar on a spinning lathe, creating a part that, in the West, would take a team to design.  The equivalent of five bucks solves problem one.
As a maintenance step, I should have replaced the rear-wheel inner bearings 10,000 miles ago, but procrastination prevailed.  Mr Gkwa also knows of a bearing shop that might supply cross-referenced BMW parts.  An afternoon passes puttering across town in his rattling old pickup truck being entertained by haggling Chinese merchants hunting down fresh wheel bearings. Mr Gkwa is the ultimate fix-it man, and we proceed to the next step. With critical parts now in hand, an aging mechanic stares through coke-bottle glasses muttering, "Can do, can do." 
From riding through storms and river crossings, hardened steel balls have rusted into shattered fragments that dribble out when the wheel is removed. A debate rages in Mandarin as expert fingers scrape away debris and tap in new bearings.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 268

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #456 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:06 PM »
So that was then and this is now, and what the hell am I doing back in the ring gagging for air in some tropical jungle?  The word impossible has always been a challenge to me, even if there wasn't much to gain beyond bragging rights. If so many people hadn't claimed looping Borneo was impossible, I probably would be relaxing right now in a comfortable Kuching hotel.  But as I am discovering, there are good reasons why no one else has done this. It has taken me five 12-hour days merely to cover the first thoroughly fatiguing 300 wheel-spinning miles.  A Trans-Siberian crossing is a cakewalk compared to this.  Muscling 600 pounds of motorcycle on a hard surface is tiring enough.  In slick mud, sitting on the seat paddling with burning legs while pushing on the handlebars is exhausting.  But to be honest, I would not have felt so alive without those familiar lung-burning gasps for air. If I can ride Borneo, I can ride anything.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 278

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #457 on: January 08, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
When clearing the last bog and asking a woodsman in sign language how much further this misery goes on, I am uncertain if he answered 10 miles or 10 minutes.  On the edge of the equator, a relentless tropical sun boils a gallon of moisture from my flesh every eight hours.  The fatigue is so intense I lack the strength to sit upright, let alone continue paddling with my legs and feet.  But gazing ahead into the vibrant, forbidding jungle exhausted, stinking and hungry, I cannot recollect when I've felt more content.  And thank god for those youngsters who twice lifted the bike off my leg while I was laying sideways.  They seemed to enjoy following me, as they could walk faster than I could ride through the slop.  At the point of total exhaustion, thinking it impossible to push through the mud any further, they suddenly rushed to my aid, shoving from behind.  While I stand red-faced and gasping for air, the inspiring Dayak girl holding my helmet shocks me when urging in decent  English, "Come on mister, you've got to try harder. I know you can do it."
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 279

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #458 on: January 09, 2013, 10:53:19 AM »
The shock of the day came at the end while unsnapping my aluminium panniers in the hotel parking lot. Noticing an unusual gap between the fender and frame, I discovered that the false exhaust pipe containing 15 pounds of hard-to-replace vital spare parts had vanished.  My rachet tools, tire irons, patch kit and spare brake pads lay somewhere in the last 100 miles.  Twelve hours a day of jack-hammering had taken its toll.
Double-nutted bolts supporting the stainless-steel tube had sheared in half. Because my last set of brake pads had cost me 180 bucks in Israel, I'd been waiting until they were completely shot to change them - now, front and rear were nearly worn down to bare metal.  Because of their superior stopping power, I use sintered pads likely unavailable in Asia.  Even in a major city, the typical customs- clearing delays to get express-mailed spares could take weeks, if they made it at all.
It's too early to know if the worst is over or just beginning, but I have come to accept that real adventure starts when things stop going as planned.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 282

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #459 on: January 10, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »
Coal miner Mohammad Siah explained that with a Korean corporation covering his room and board, at the end of five years, even ' while supporting his parents, he could retire rich enough to buy a house and motorcycle- raising his status to most-desirable in the eyes of Indonesian girls looking for husbands.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 283

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »
"Thanks for the offer, but I prefer a walk downtown to meet the people.”
"No. you can only go out in the daytime, never at night."
"Why, is it dangerous?"
"Yes” he says, drawing his finger across his throat, "Dayaks."
"But you are Dayak."
"My mother is Dayak but my father is from Java, so I am only half-dangerous."
"Okay, can you tell me about the road to Sukamara?"
Waving his hand up and down through the air, he replies, "That is 500 kilometers from here and the road is like this. Travelling there by motorbike will take three days."
Pointing outside, at the pavement, I ask, "Is the road like that," then, indicating the dirt, "or like that?" Walking outside he selects a baseball -size rock and says, "No, it is mostly these."
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 288

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2013, 11:16:48 AM »
But it's been five weeks since I left Kuching, and with unknown mileage to cover until the finish line, my growing frustration makes me ride faster than conditions allow and makes me continue when it is time to rest.  We follow our own rules in life because experience teaches the consequences of breaking them.  Sometimes lessons need to be repeated. 
Going down on dirt is generally less damaging than colliding with asphalt, still the bike and body always suffer some harm.  When I'm off the beaten path, more than mechanical failures, I fear a broken limb from a crash.  Even minor tears in the flesh offer convenient pathways for toxic microbes and tropical diseases.  In the event of serious injury, there is no way out of here.  If I was found over- turned in some bottomless ravine or shivering with fever, who would know what to do?
Even on a lighter bike with knobby tires, motorcyclists are never in complete control riding in mud. Mud is the great equalizer.  Using dual-purpose street tires while slinging 600 pounds of motorcycle adds negative factors to the equation.  The numbers are simple, after 2,000 miles of mostly rugged dirt track complicated by mud, it is not a matter of if but when and how many times a rider does an over-handlebars face-plant.  Until today, I had been lucky with only a few slow-moving spills where the main problem was developing enough traction for my boots while I tried to get the bike upright.
But today was payday for breaking the rules.  Headlight filaments expire quicker under vibration and heat, but seldom do both go at once.  My high beam had burned out last week, the low beam yester- day.  Just before sunset, the best I could determine from quizzing a team of boar hunters, the next village was three hours away via the feeble glow of my remaining front-end parking lamp.  Do I stop and camp or roll the dice?
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 293

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #462 on: January 13, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »
After the sun dropped below treeline, seeing where damp clay turned slick was difficult, but my front wheel washing out sideways delivered the news.  Over the handlebars and somehow landing on my knees, I ended up lying in the road assessing the damage.  My chest had taken out the windshield and mirrors, while ramming into solid earth had torn loose the left side aluminium pannier.  The impact snapped stainless-steel fasteners while bending the support frames - again.  Except for a swelling left knee, my padded riding clothes absorbed enough of the impact to minimize the damage to me.
But help is never far away. While I use a hardwood tree branch to straighten the frame, a lone Dayak teenager on a motor-scooter putters over the hill, stopping to aid the alien.  His surging headlight illuminated the scene enough for me to strap luggage pieces together to get moving again.  Rami tells me it is another 25 miles to his village, but he will ride slowly to guide me.  Attempting this journey in darkness stretches a three-hour ride into six.  Peeking from behind silky veils of fluorescent clouds, a silvery full moon brightens the road barely enough to see shadows.  Soon, I trail Rami into the night, trying to avoid dangers stuck in my mind but impossible to see.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 294

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #463 on: January 14, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
In daylight, this would be difficult, without lights at night, its a panicky plunge into the unknown.  All I can do is follow the weaving silhouette ahead and not look down.  The darkness plays tricks.  Did Rami swerve to avoid a mud puddle or finally disappear?  I wasn't sure until I'm abruptly buried to the bike's axles, two feet under water, sinking and spinning my tires while the engine furiously pumps gas bubbles from a submerged exhaust.  How could only two men free 600 pounds of rubber and steel from oozing mud?  Wading to our hips in muck, Rami pushes from behind as I pull from the side, delicately feathering the clutch against the desperate gurgle of the laboring motor.  Forty-five minutes of inching free of the bog underlined the grim realization that there would be five more hours of creeping through twilight shadows until we'd find shelter and sleep.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 294-5

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #464 on: January 15, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
In the Chinese language, negatives don't seem to exist as we understand them in the West.  Whenever describing exactly what I have needed to the Chinese, their invariable one-word response is, "Can." Today was typical:
"Mr. Hoi, are you able to install these bearings?"
“Can."
"Are you sure Mr. Hoi, it requires careful removal of-"
Without bothering to look he interrupts, "Can."
"But what about the- "
“Can."
"And are you able to rebuild the -"
"Can."
Since the first major motorcycle center in Malaysia had just opened, its inexperienced shop manager in Kuala Lumpur could only order steering-head bearings exclusively from Germany.  But Mr. Hoi, a few miles away, had those same hard-to-find bearings upstairs in his race-bike shop, and after soldering a few broken wires, he installed them for 20 dollars.  From there, his assistant led me through the backstreets across Kuala Lumpur to have his cousin replace the foam cushion in my now hard-as-a-rock motorcycle seat.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 303

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #465 on: January 16, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »
A super-organized, high-tech city state famous for laws so strict they prohibited chewing gum, the red tape required for entering with a motorcycle had made Singapore not worth the trouble of visiting.  Even with a carnet de passage, the Federal Transportation Department still requires an endorsement by their Auto Club plus 36 dollars a day for insurance along with prepayment of expensive road tolls. But once we reached the official entry point, a quick passport stamping at immigration ended in two lines for customs inspection.  Counting on being able to play Stupid Foreigner if caught, after acknowledging a nod from Murphy, I took a chance and followed the lane with a sign reading "Nothing to Declare."  When I finished quickly flipping the lids on my panniers, a serious teenaged machine gun-wielding soldier waved us both through without asking for further paperwork.  In bypassing the mandatory carnet de passage inspection, I became an illegal alien in a Utopian police state where electronic surveillance of its citizens is standard procedure.  From remote-controlled traffic signals managed by distant observers to restricting certain vehicles from driving downtown, even the hallways of my budget hotel are monitored by closed-circuit TV.  If border inspectors later asked for vehicle documents at the same checkpoint, getting out of Singapore was going to be interesting.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 304

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #466 on: January 17, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
As with America's Bible Belt, Third World life centers on God and family, with strong convictions concerning morality.  Although no one ever mentions my religion, during typical roadside cafe chats, natives in every country constantly ask, "Where is your wife?"
With eyes half-closed while waving my hands in holy gestures, solemnly I declare, "As a high priest in the Sacred Order of Confirmed Bachelors, I am forbidden to marry." Those listening nod with a knowing respect as I continue, patting the shiny blue tank of my faithful machine, and pronounce with utmost sincerity, "This is the only wife I am ever allowed to take."
Gasping as though a spiritual revelation has just occurred, the surrounding barefoot crowd dressed in shorts and T-shirts murmur among themselves, "Ah, the only wife to take, the only wife to take…
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 326-7

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #467 on: January 18, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »
Next to slapped-together palm leaf-covered noodle stands, the most common roadside business in Asia is tire repair.  Highway shoulders used for dodging oncoming vehicles are minefields of debris popped off lumbering trucks and fragments of past collisions.  Though bikers know to be vigilant inspecting their tires, we seldom find rusted steel shards until a faint hissing sound stops us to pry em out from between wounded treads.  India and Indonesia have been the worst for punctures.
If not stopping to inspect an unmistakable rear-end wobble, I wouldn't have noticed sprays of engine oil dripping across the tank.  Sidetracked by natives during a morning fluid check, I'd forgotten to secure the oil cap.  For the previous hour, darkened oil splattering in the wind had also been coating the front of my jacket and pants.  Sweating and cursing under shady banana trees on a stretch of road between towns, I did not have to wait long for assistance. At times, the locals can be annoying, firing the same questions I'd fielded from the last group only an hour before, but they also appear when most needed. Flat tires are always a hassle, but being stranded miles from a town compounds the problem.  Temporary glue-on sticky rubber squares are unreliable patches and usually leak after tires warm up. A new tube is cheap enough, but if they're unavailable, the heat vulcanizing patches are best.  And how to find a tire shop in unfamiliar territory?
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 327-8

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #468 on: January 19, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »
Within minutes after parking and removing the rear wheel, two teams of eager volunteers on little flashy scooters surround the disabled alien.  Passing motorists notice the swelling crowd competing to assist me and stop to investigate.  They all volunteer to take my punctured tube to the nearest repair stand.  For the job of courier, I chose the one man wearing a watch, and an hour later he returns in triumph with a 10-bike escort.  After charging just one dollar for the patching, my angels of motorcycle mercy refuse to take tips for their efforts.  Now if only there were decent restaurants.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 328

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #469 on: January 20, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »
What guidebooks warned was a serious four-hour hike up to the summit became 20 minutes by motorcycle, twisting up jungle hair-pins to 9,000 feet. But by late afternoon, mild drizzle turning into a full-force storm meant becoming stranded at the top. The highest point in the region, Penanjakan Peak is also a base for remote radio towers and relay stations.  While I stood drenched and staring though greying walls of falling water, the final light of the day faded into a solid fog. In better times, the half-dozen boarded-up shacks near the lookout patio served as souvenir stands for winded trekkers, but after prying apart broken wooden slats, a hollow musty shell became this shivering solo traveller's twilight refuge.  While waiting for rains to ease enough to retrieve camping gear from my bike, a middle-aged bearded man appeared from the darkening shadows.  Draped in dripping green plastic trash bags and without speaking, he motioned with his hands to follow.
Unsure if I'd been busted for burglary or rescued from the elements, Agil Kurniawan's cramped five-by-eight-foot brick cubicle provided instant relief from biting winds.  As exterior temperatures nose-dived, the orange glow of his electric cooking plate was warming enough to begin to dry my waterlogged riding clothes.  Cluttered with a nine-inch flickering TV, a few handheld transmitters and a rack of eating utensils on top of boxed clothing, there was barely room in here for one.  Folding away his makeshift rainsuit, Agil repeated familiar greetings, "Dart manna mistuh?"  (You come from where sir?) 
"Nama saya Glen.  Saya orang Amereeka."  (My name is Glen and I am original of America.)  Using a dented metal cup to scoop a bowl of rice from his cooker, he asked, "Apa kabar?  Mau makan?"  (How are you? Do you want to eat?)
I nodded, and he sprinkled a plate with steaming white grains and chunks of smoked fish heads that were spicy enough to melt plastic.  Sitting cross-legged, eating in silence, it was obvious this wandering alien was now trapped by the intensifying evening storm.  Pointing to the raised plywood platform filling half the tiny room, said "Tidur desanah."  (You sleep.)  Waving away my objections, he rolled out a greasy horse blanket onto the cold concrete floor and insisted that I use his bed.  Debate was useless, so we spent the next two hours studying my computer images of faces and scenes from distant cultures.  While tracing my route around the globe, Agil smiled and stared as if he was hearing about life on Mars.  Even explaining the other islands of Indonesia was difficult- he understood only Java.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 332-3

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:25 AM »
In the morning, crisp dawn air was locked in thick fog while I manhandled the Beast up the final steps to what should have been a perfect volcano photo shoot.  Bromo's ellusive panorama was still obscured, but after coming this far I waited, hoping the sky would clear by noon.  It did not, and I realized that if not leaving soon, another storm would surely cause me further delay.  I was worried about complications airfreighting out of Bali next week as the regulations were rumoured to have changed.  A quick island hop south was imperative.
After a long farewell handshake, I held forth a few rupiah, but like those befriending me before, he shook his head in annoyance, indicating by pointing that hospitality comes from the heart.  Hooking leathered brown fingers together, he stumbled through what he had written down using my dictionary, "Mistuh Glan, we brother forever."
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 333

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #471 on: January 22, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »
While I was standing in line transferring planes in Malaysia, an Indian Sikh sitting in cross-legged meditation suddenly opened his eyes to wave me closer.  With his bulging head layered in a white linen turban, he radiated a sage's wisdom.  From behind a scraggly beard framing a tan, wrinkled face, he stared directly into my eyes, uttering these simple words: "Many great things lie ahead of you.”  As abruptly as he surfaced, he cast down his gaze and retreated to where he had been journeying, and I, with no further apprehension, took a confident step toward the immensity of Africa.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 346

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #472 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »
While I was standing in line transferring planes in Malaysia, an Indian Sikh sitting in cross-legged meditation suddenly opened his eyes to wave me closer.  With his bulging head layered in a white linen turban, he radiated a sage's wisdom.  From behind a scraggly beard framing a tan, wrinkled face, he stared directly into my eyes, uttering these simple words: "Many great things lie ahead of you.”  As abruptly as he surfaced, he cast down his gaze and retreated to where he had been journeying, and I, with no further apprehension, took a confident step toward the immensity of Africa.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 346

Beautifully and articulately written Biggles.  Thanks for sharing.
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #473 on: January 23, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
Arcing concrete slopes of elevated overpasses guide whizzing automobiles outwards into upscale suburbs of fenced-in security.  If people were not driving on the opposite side of the road, this could be a European-tinted California churning with Southern hospitality.  In restaurants or gas stations, everyone wants to chat with musical accents from 11 distinct languages blossoming into English.  And even the roaming squads of beat cops seem reasonable.
The aggressive manoeuvres I'd learned navigating Asia prompted the traffic police to stop me a dozen times.  Cowboy road tactics acceptable on chaotic Java are serious offences in the orderly West.  Wrong direction rides on one-way streets or in between pillars on sidewalks are as shocking as parking in hotel lobbies- a common practice in developing countries.
Cyber-linked readers still follow my movements vicariously from computers around the world.  Because of my online journal, Cape Town motorcyclists have emailed invitations to stay in their homes.  South African generosity is overwhelming.  But abiding by the traveller’s three-nights-only rule, I swap Steve and Sharon's home-cooked meals and satellite TV for a return to the seclusion of a run-down backstreet hostel.  Abandoning the ruggedness of the open road has made returning to civilization awkward, and there are blunt realities ahead to prepare for.  Idling in the comfort of Western countries, seasoned travellers lose their edge.  A sterile environment of relative safety dulls senses vital for a quick reaction. Survival reflexes and the smell of danger become clouded back in the cushy West, where little can go wrong.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 347

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #474 on: January 24, 2013, 08:15:57 AM »
In rush-hour traffic, with belligerent commuters competing to get ahead, I should have been on high alert.  Halfway into a multi-lane intersection, a speeding woman lost in her cell phone ignored the red light.  A car-length ahead, the driver on her left snagged her front bumper with his, sending them both spinning sideways.  The sturdy hands of Thor slowed his rotation enough to abruptly come to a rest with the tip of his fog light tapping my front wheel.  Another few feet and I would be dictating this from a body cast.
Glen Heggstad  One More Day Everywhere p 347