Honda ST1100 Section > Plastic, Fairings, Panniers and Top Box's 1100

2000 ST1100 refuses to fire on #2 cylinder.

(1/3) > >>

Gazbrown:
OK brains trust.
My 2000 ST1100 is being a right royal PITA. Cylinder 2 is refusing to light up!
New coils and leads. Good spark, have swapped from #4 which is firing, no luck.
Changed out plugs to known good ones, (I have a second bike 1999 model) so not plug problems.
Not fuel problem as far as I know, plug is wet with fuel. And I have swapped to another carburator with no change.
I can block the plenum to #2 (air cleaner removed) without any alteration in engine, however if I do this with any of the other pots it will try to stall the engine.
Compression test is 130psi, but is probably down because of the unburnt fuel washing oil from the bore.
I can get a vacuum from the vacuum line used to sync the carbs.When I ballanced the carbs the screw adjustment alters the vacuum.
One thing I have not checked and probably should have is the rubber connectors from carb to head.......pretty sure there are no cracks, leaks.
Ideas please if you have any.

Brock:
Can you feel the suction on #2?? how does the compression compare to the other cylinders. Have you tried a shot of oil in each cylinder on the compression test ?? Was there s difference??

Have you pulled the rocker covers and checked the valves??  the valves could be sticking open or closed ( extremely rare to halve valve problems). Another rare occurrence is damaged valves &/or seats..

Gazbrown:
Thanks Brock.....an update, this morning, decided to reverse the carbs! Strange as it sounds, but as I know right hand side are firing it would eliminate a carb problem........and it did, #2 still kaput. So as per your sugestion, some oil into the pot, and tested compression, and low and behold 175psi, so not a compression problem.
Next step take out the "new" coils and replace them and see what that does.
Will update following that step.
I might do a resistance measurement before I do.....

Gazbrown:
Gremlins!
Swapped the coils as I know right bank is OK, rhs to lhs. Problem remains. No fire in # 2.
Swapped plug connectors. No fire in # 2.

Not sure where to go with this now.

Rocker cover off next and visual inspection of #2...........

Gazbrown:
Rocker cover off and everything looks normal. Lobes look great.
Bike has only done 50k......

Maybe matches next!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version