General Category > General Discussion

From the Library

<< < (2/10) > >>

STeveo:
Thanks for these posts. Although I have read this book a couple of times it is still a good read to have again.

Biggles:
It was plainly impossible to move the bike, so I began to unload it.  I noticed immediately that my water bag was empty, the plastic perforated, the contents drained away.  Well at least l had a litre of distilled water.  With all the luggage off I glanced in the gas tank.  Had it been possible at this stage to shock me, I would have been shocked.  There was only a puddle of gasoline left, hardly a gallon.  My fuel consumption was twice what it should have been, and when I thought about it, that was perfectly natural.  Grinding along in second gear over a loose surface in such heat, it is what you would expect.  Only I, of course, had not expected it.
Ted Simon  Jupiter's Travels p 82

Biggles:
Scooping the sand out by hand took half an hour, but I managed to make a lane back to the firmer ground.  There was a bit of brush growing on the dunes, and I paved my lane with twigs.  Then, inch by inch, I was able to haul the bike back to where I wanted it.  Again I had lost a lot of sweat, and I got the water bottle out.  It was warm to the touch.  I put it to my lips, and then spat vigorously on the ground, mustering as much of my own good saliva as I could. The bottle contained acid. 
Battery acid.
Ted Simon  Jupiter's Travels p 82

ST2UP:
Ahhh…..familiarity  :beer

Biggles:
If falling were a competitive sporting event, I would be a champion. Sometimes, on deeply rutted tracks like the one between Gedaref and Metema, it was impossible to avoid a fall.
(Getting it up again) was an exhausting exercise because I could not lift the bike without unpacking everything first.
Ted Simon  Jupiter's Travels p 92

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version