Author Topic: STranglers Glendambo FarRide Ride Report  (Read 1537 times)

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
STranglers Glendambo FarRide Ride Report
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
 :blk13
Glendambo FarRide Centre #1 Ride Report 5/05/2018
Friday 4/05/2018 I woke early at 2.45 am and showered, dressed in my riding gear including my heated clothing, and had coffee and toast with a departure time set for 3.45am. I backed STrangler my Honda ST1300 out of the garage quietly to avoid waking my Mum who was looking after Kimba my faithful 14 yr. old Maremma X dog. I locked the garage and closed the gates and left at 3.50am. My destination was Barmera, South Australia via Wagga Wagga and then the Hay Plains. An 1,114 Kilometre trip.
I rode the 8k's to the Hume and headed south on the Hume. It was a cool morning and as the sun slowly rose behind me I could see the inclement weather that had travelled across the bottom of Australia the night before was ahead of me. A quick stop at Pheasants Nest to check BOM.gov.au for the weather radar ahead, showing rain ahead.I then headed off into the rain which hit before Goulburn and lasted for the next 100k's. Most of it was only drizzle so I wasn't getting wet. I had my Zarkie gear all plugged in and it kept me warm. I cruised on past Macca's at Yass, my normal stop for coffee and pulled into Macca's at South Gundagai where I had a BBQ breakfast Burger deal with a hot coffee.
Back on the bike I headed to the Sturt Hwy and into Wagga Wagga to refuel. There were scattered showers again but I started the journey across the Hay Plains arriving at Hay 11'50 am where I refuelled the bike and had another coffee and a toasted sandwich for lunch. I then headed west again towards Balranald, Mildura, entering Victoria. Refuelled again and headed across the state to then into South Australia via Renmark. Along this Stretch of the Sturt Hwy I saw the most Emu's I have ever seen. I reckon between 100 or so, mostly on the inside of fences. The day was well into late afternoon and I reached Yamba and the fruit quarantine stop. The Discovery Park owner rand me to see if I would be there before she left at 6pm, it was just after 5.30 SA time and I pushed on, thankful for the extra 30 mins I gained at the border. I started seeing Ulysses signs along the road for the 2018 AGM being held at Barmera and arrived at 5.58 and got the key to my cabin, booked for 2 night. I had a light meal from the truck stop, a little bit of online entertainment and postings, then had an early night, 9.30 pm took my sleeper, set the alarm for 2.45 again and slept well.
BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ,,, time to get up. It was cold so on with my Zarkie gear, this time including my insoles, added another layer and had coffee and an Up n Go for breakfast along with my pills 3 hrs earlier than normal. I left the cabin and headed to the 24hr servo fuelled STrangler  and got my start docket. 3.55 am. Last night Alan had  warned me to be aware that my route to Burra was full of Kangaroo's and to ride safe. He was right, well before Morgan I started seeing BIG Roo's along the road, occasionally hopping out testing my braking skills.  The  daylight began around Spalding and I felt calmer as I headed towards Port Augusta where I met Stinky Pete and refuelled and had coffee at the OTR and waited for Alan and Heather to arrive. 7.30 I'd planned to get there and was 5 mins late. Alan and Heather needed to have breakfast so Pete and I headed off north to Glendambo on the Stuart Hwy.
I followed Pete on his BMW and we arrived at Glendambo at 11.05 and fuelled up again the rode over to the Glendambo Pub carpark. There was a little shade at the far end and as I attempted to stop on fine gravel I locked up the front wheel which resulted in,, yes you guessed it, I for STrangler's first time tipped him over, gently on his right side. A couple of other FarRiders there watching ran over and picked up the bike, (no pics, so it didn't happen) ;) what happens on the road stays on the road everyone else said. We've all done it they said..  after check-in  Pete and I, along with others had lunch at the pub. It was slow to arrive and we were both getting anxious to leave.
After lunch I followed Pete south back to Port Augusta enjoying the beautiful landscapes of outback Australia. Arriving in PA we refuelled and had a short break before saying our farewells and I once again was content to follow Pete along Highway 1 till Crystal Brook where I peeled off to head east back to Barmera. I enjoyed my ride along quiet country roads as the daylight faded and by Burra it was gone. The Roo population started to increase and my eyes struggled to adjust to the darkness, but I rode along at a good pace till more of them were on the road.
The turn off to Barmera came and I was pleased to be almost back. Once again I went to the truck stop to get real milk and some food, then went back to the cabin arriving at 8.15pm. I was glad the days ride was over, another successful FarRide done, I was so tired after a 17 hr day 1318k's, so after getting online and registering my FarRide finish, a little Facebook and some phone calls and a long hot shower I was ready for  bed.
I didn't sleep well as there was a cold draft coming down the wall, then as the sun came up I found the curtains let in the light. The park had requested I was out as early as possible so they could clean before the next booking, a Ulyssesian for the AGM, I had a couple of coffees and another long hot shower dressed again, checked out, refuelled  and headed off south to Pinaroo then back into Victoria to Ooyen where google maps decided to stop. I looked at offline maps then found my way thru Mittyack, Chinkapook, Nyall west, where I refuelled again. Swan Hill where I crossed the Murray River into NSW.
I didn't want to ride the Hay Plains again so my route took me thru Noorong, Wakool and Deniliquin, where the daylight was fading. I refuelled once more and rode  thru Conargo to Jerilderie then Urana, Lockhart and back up to the Sturt Hwy and on into Wagga Wagga, and Forest Hill where my good friends Phil and Maureen had cooked a lamb roast for dinner and insisted I stayed once more. After a good feed and great company, I headed off to bed and slept well.
Monday morning, more small talk and  breakfast, around 11 am I headed off on the last leg to home. The weather was warm so no need for my heated gear. I joined the Hume Hwy and headed north. First stop Yass Macca's for coffee and lunch. Back on the bike I played the game and didn't contribute to Mr Plod's Xmas spectacular... arriving home around 3.15pm. 3,700 kilometres even,, 4 days, another successful FarRide on STrangler done and dusted. He needs a wash as I cant see thru the bugsplatt on the screen.
 Kimba was pleased to see me when Mum opened the gates, unusual for Kimba she came and greeted me at the bike and after a quick pat I rode into the garage and went  AAAARRRRHH I'm home...
now where will my next adventure be,, when will I ride again..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:32:22 PM by johnnyYTED »
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

The following users thanked this post: StinkyPete, Shiney, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker

Bodø Glimt

Re: STranglers Glendambo FarRide Ride Report
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:00:11 PM »
Alan had  warned me to be aware that my route to Burra was full of Kangaroo's and to ride safe. He was right, well before Morgan I started seeing BIG Roo's along the road, occasionally hopping out testing my braking skills.

Yes, I found that out the hard way.  I hit a roo at Bundey, near the aptly named Worlds End in 2015.

The following users thanked this post: johnnyYTED

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:02:17 AM »
Awesome RR mate, thanks for sharing :thumbs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »
 :thumb. Great read. Thank you.   
Richo

Offline STraya

• STraya. Life’s too short for traffic”
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
:blk13
Glendambo FarRide Centre #1 Ride Report 5/05/2018
Friday 4/05/2018 I woke early at 2.45 am and showered, dressed in my riding gear including my heated clothing, and had coffee and toast with a departure time set for 3.45am. I backed STrangler my Honda ST1300 out of the garage quietly to avoid waking my Mum who was looking after Kimba my faithful 14 yr. old Maremma X dog. I locked the garage and closed the gates and left at 3.50am. My destination was Barmera, South Australia via Wagga Wagga and then the Hay Plains. An 1,114 Kilometre trip.
I rode the 8k's to the Hume and headed south on the Hume. It was a cool morning and as the sun slowly rose behind me I could see the inclement weather that had travelled across the bottom of Australia the night before was ahead of me. A quick stop at Pheasants Nest to check BOM.gov.au for the weather radar ahead, showing rain ahead.I then headed off into the rain which hit before Goulburn and lasted for the next 100k's. Most of it was only drizzle so I wasn't getting wet. I had my Zarkie gear all plugged in and it kept me warm. I cruised on past Macca's at Yass, my normal stop for coffee and pulled into Macca's at South Gundagai where I had a BBQ breakfast Burger deal with a hot coffee.
Back on the bike I headed to the Sturt Hwy and into Wagga Wagga to refuel. There were scattered showers again but I started the journey across the Hay Plains arriving at Hay 11'50 am where I refuelled the bike and had another coffee and a toasted sandwich for lunch. I then headed west again towards Balranald, Mildura, entering Victoria. Refuelled again and headed across the state to then into South Australia via Renmark. Along this Stretch of the Sturt Hwy I saw the most Emu's I have ever seen. I reckon between 100 or so, mostly on the inside of fences. The day was well into late afternoon and I reached Yamba and the fruit quarantine stop. The Discovery Park owner rand me to see if I would be there before she left at 6pm, it was just after 5.30 SA time and I pushed on, thankful for the extra 30 mins I gained at the border. I started seeing Ulysses signs along the road for the 2018 AGM being held at Barmera and arrived at 5.58 and got the key to my cabin, booked for 2 night. I had a light meal from the truck stop, a little bit of online entertainment and postings, then had an early night, 9.30 pm took my sleeper, set the alarm for 2.45 again and slept well.
BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ,,, time to get up. It was cold so on with my Zarkie gear, this time including my insoles, added another layer and had coffee and an Up n Go for breakfast along with my pills 3 hrs earlier than normal. I left the cabin and headed to the 24hr servo fuelled STrangler  and got my start docket. 3.55 am. Last night Alan had  warned me to be aware that my route to Burra was full of Kangaroo's and to ride safe. He was right, well before Morgan I started seeing BIG Roo's along the road, occasionally hopping out testing my braking skills.  The  daylight began around Spalding and I felt calmer as I headed towards Port Augusta where I met Stinky Pete and refuelled and had coffee at the OTR and waited for Alan and Heather to arrive. 7.30 I'd planned to get there and was 5 mins late. Alan and Heather needed to have breakfast so Pete and I headed off north to Glendambo on the Stuart Hwy.
I followed Pete on his BMW and we arrived at Glendambo at 11.05 and fuelled up again the rode over to the Glendambo Pub carpark. There was a little shade at the far end and as I attempted to stop on fine gravel I locked up the front wheel which resulted in,, yes you guessed it, I for STrangler's first time tipped him over, gently on his right side. A couple of other FarRiders there watching ran over and picked up the bike, (no pics, so it didn't happen) ;) what happens on the road stays on the road everyone else said. We've all done it they said..  after check-in  Pete and I, along with others had lunch at the pub. It was slow to arrive and we were both getting anxious to leave.
After lunch I followed Pete south back to Port Augusta enjoying the beautiful landscapes of outback Australia. Arriving in PA we refuelled and had a short break before saying our farewells and I once again was content to follow Pete along Highway 1 till Crystal Brook where I peeled off to head east back to Barmera. I enjoyed my ride along quiet country roads as the daylight faded and by Burra it was gone. The Roo population started to increase and my eyes struggled to adjust to the darkness, but I rode along at a good pace till more of them were on the road.
The turn off to Barmera came and I was pleased to be almost back. Once again I went to the truck stop to get real milk and some food, then went back to the cabin arriving at 8.15pm. I was glad the days ride was over, another successful FarRide done, I was so tired after a 17 hr day 1318k's, so after getting online and registering my FarRide finish, a little Facebook and some phone calls and a long hot shower I was ready for  bed.
I didn't sleep well as there was a cold draft coming down the wall, then as the sun came up I found the curtains let in the light. The park had requested I was out as early as possible so they could clean before the next booking, a Ulyssesian for the AGM, I had a couple of coffees and another long hot shower dressed again, checked out, refuelled  and headed off south to Pinaroo then back into Victoria to Ooyen where google maps decided to stop. I looked at offline maps then found my way thru Mittyack, Chinkapook, Nyall west, where I refuelled again. Swan Hill where I crossed the Murray River into NSW.
I didn't want to ride the Hay Plains again so my route took me thru Noorong, Wakool and Deniliquin, where the daylight was fading. I refuelled once more and rode  thru Conargo to Jerilderie then Urana, Lockhart and back up to the Sturt Hwy and on into Wagga Wagga, and Forest Hill where my good friends Phil and Maureen had cooked a lamb roast for dinner and insisted I stayed once more. After a good feed and great company, I headed off to bed and slept well.
Monday morning, more small talk and  breakfast, around 11 am I headed off on the last leg to home. The weather was warm so no need for my heated gear. I joined the Hume Hwy and headed north. First stop Yass Macca's for coffee and lunch. Back on the bike I played the game and didn't contribute to Mr Plod's Xmas spectacular... arriving home around 3.15pm. 3,700 kilometres even,, 4 days, another successful FarRide on STrangler done and dusted. He needs a wash as I cant see thru the bugsplatt on the screen.
 Kimba was pleased to see me when Mum opened the gates, unusual for Kimba she came and greeted me at the bike and after a quick pat I rode into the garage and went  AAAARRRRHH I'm home...
now where will my next adventure be,, when will I ride again..
A great RR.  I enjoyed the read.
Thanks, Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STraya  (Dave)   FarRider 515.    Ulysses 28892
And it’s something quite peculiar; something shimmering and white!”

Offline Pete

• ST1300A
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
Fantastic read thanks Johnny.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Pete

Ulyssesian #56030
Red Metallic 2008 ST1300

Offline Flats

• ST first one
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 09:05:36 AM »
Love reading your reports Mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Phil5671

Offline Knave

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
Good to see that you are enjoying the FarRides Johnny. They are a great way to see some distant parts of our country. Thanks for the report and pics.  :thumbs