Author Topic: StinkyPetes OZlap  (Read 41373 times)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: StinkyPetes OZlap
« Reply #600 on: May 14, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »
Home
Well it's great to be home again, and some of the great things about being home include sleeping in my own bed, wearing different clothes, sitting in my own lounge chair, using my own shower and reconnecting with friends and family.  This adventure was a bucket list item and I can recommend to to anyone.   It's a big country, full of wonderful places and people and it was a wonderful experience.  The body held up OK, but I have a few new aches and pains, which I am sure will subside as I get back into my walking and gym routines.

Trip Statistics
Time Away   59 Days
Travelling Days  44 Days
Distance Travelled  19,500km
Fuel used  958 litres
Average fuel cost  $1.62
Most Expensive fuel   $2.15 at Balladonia
Maintenance consisted of two sets of replacement tyres and one bike service

Scenery Highlight
Kimberley Victoria River Region and Gregory National Park

Riding Highlight
All of the great riding roads that criss-cross the great divide through NSW, and I reckon I managed to ride most of them.

Social Highlights
Thanks to the OzSTOC members who offered hospitality in their homes, rode with me, met with me at RTE's at Lorne, Gloucester, Darwin and Perth, or followed my journey.  I had a ball and it was sooo good to meet up with old friends along the way.   Thanks to Fish and Marcleo who joined me for the first ten days or so.  It was great to have Chris fly to Broome where spent some lovely days.   I don't want to thank individuals as I am sure to miss someone, but I do want to thank Kev who kept everyone up to date with my progress and kept a remote eye on me all along the way.

Where's the Photos?
I will post a few photo highlights as a sort through what I have, and will add them to this thread over the days.   I did not want to become a slave to a diary, or to photographing town signs, letterboxes or even big things, as I wanted to just “be” in the journey.   However, I did bag a few.

The attached map gives a nice overview of my entire journey.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:03:11 PM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #601 on: May 14, 2019, 04:44:08 PM »
Great response Pete, a pleasure to be able to follow and report on your journey. Looking fwd to photos.
Cheers mate.
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

The following users thanked this post: Gerard & Sandra

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #602 on: May 17, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »
I have had a request from ScarlettThunderbolts to describe what I look with me and how I packed, and this info might be of interest to others who may be thinking of doing some long distance, long time touring.   Over the years I have learned to back fairly light, and despite that experience, there was still stuff that I took on this trip that I did not use.  ScarlettThunderbolts took a series of photos of how I packed on the bike.
Here's my packing information....

Left Pannier (This was the dirty or wet compartment)
Blackwolf Gobi dome tent, stored in a pannier liner
Tent Poles
Pegs and hammer
Waterproof outer jacket and pants
Jacket liner
Seat cover, waterproof
Spare gloves

Right Pannier (Bed, Bedding and other stuff)
Blue poly tarp to go under my air bed inside the tent
Down sleeping bag
Exped air mattress
Cotton sleeping bag liner
Air Bed Pump
Inflatable Pillow (It was awful to sleep on)
First Aid Kit

Top Box (Divided into three compartments to keep stuff accessible and organized)
Food etc  (Canned tuna, Gingernut biscuits, mueslei, dried fruit and nut mix,  tea and coffee, long life milk, several freeze dried meals for emergencies, cutlery, crockery, tea towel, pepper and salt, vegemite)
Two one litre containers of drinking water
JetBoil stove and gas bottle
Hema Motorcycle Atlas
Folder with all my necessary documents
I also had a green supermarket bag in which I stored and carry stuff that would come out every night, such as camera, phone, wallet, tablet, notebook & pen, chargers, shopping bag, GPS, Spot Gen3, CB Radio.

Back Seat
Shadecloth groundsheet for under the tent (not used on this trip)
Kermit Chair (not used on this trip)
50 lt waterproof bag for clothing, shoes, thongs, toiletries bag, meds, “electrical” bag, tools and tyre pump, nd whatever I could not fit anywhere else

Glove Boxes (These are tiny on the Beemer)
Spare ear plugs
Cleaning cloth
Puncture repair kit
Sidestand plate

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Lionel, Williamson, Gerard & Sandra, Kev Murphy, LindsayGT, Jdbiker

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #603 on: May 17, 2019, 09:22:27 AM »
Good skills Pete, thanks for posting both lists.

Re. BM v ST panniers and top box.  How do they compare capacity and "useable" capacity or ease of packing wise?
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #604 on: May 17, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »
Re. BM v ST panniers and top box.  How do they compare capacity and "useable" capacity or ease of packing wise?
Tha panniers are about the same capacity, but a slightly different shape, and the Beemer top box is a 49 litre, so it's also the same size.  The top box looks bigger because it's a double skin design.  In my opinion the locking mechanisms on the Beemer panniers and top box are much sturdier, and they each lock in four points.    How they come on and off the bike is irrelevant, and they are not something that I remove on a regular basis.   Overall from a practical perspective, there's little difference.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:11:00 AM by StinkyPete »

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #605 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
Tha panniers are about the same capacity, but a slightly different shape, and the Beemer top box is a 49 litre, so it's also the same size.  The top box looks bigger because it's a double skin design.  In my opinion the locking mechanisms on the Beemer panniers and top box are much sturdier, and they each lock in four points.    How they come on and off the bike is irrelevant, and they are not something that I remove on a regular basis.   Overall from a practical perspective, there's little difference.

:thumbs

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #606 on: May 17, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Thanks Pete. I'd pay good money for a comfortable inflatable pillow - I've had two, the first developed a leak soon after purchase, the second is more sturdy (Black Wolf) but like yours, just uncomfortable.
Regards your CB - I take it you have it linked in to your comms gear and are able to operate it on the road?
Cheers ... Mark
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #607 on: May 17, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »
Regards your CB - I take it you have it linked in to your comms gear and are able to operate it on the road?
Cheers ... Mark

Rgr.    I have a Starcom1 Digital as my communication hub, which was the same unit I had on the ST.  This takes bluetooth from the bike, wired pillion/rider coms, and my handlebar mounted handheld Uniden CB is also hard connected to the Starcom with a PTT button on the left handgrip.   The voices go straight to my helmet via a hard connection, so I have no bluetooth stuff to charge each day.   This works nicely for me.

Is the Border Run on your radar this year?

Cheers
Pete

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #608 on: May 17, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
It is .... but .... the Echuca-Moama Winter Blues Festival is on the weekend before and I suspect the brownie points bank isn't sufficiently flush with points to do both. However, hope springs eternal in the human breast and if the planets align in my favour ....
FarRider #726

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #609 on: May 17, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »
..... I suspect the brownie points bank isn't sufficiently flush with points to do both....

Brownie points ........ pffft ....... grow a couple Mark.   Geez, I hope Helen doesn't read this, and ssshhhh, nobody say a word.

...... This adventure was a bucket list item and I can recommend to to anyone.   It's a big country, full of wonderful places and people and it was a wonderful experience..... All of the great riding roads that criss-cross the great divide through NSW, and I reckon I managed to ride most of them......

Thanks for posting Pete, it's got my juices flowing and me thinking about planning my lap.

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #610 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:41 PM »
..... I suspect the brownie points bank isn't sufficiently flush with points to do both....

Brownie points ........ pffft ....... grow a couple Mark.   Geez, I hope Helen doesn't read this, and ssshhhh, nobody say a word.

Hmmm, a Roger Waters song from the 1992 album "Amused To Death" springs to mind - what was it now, oh, that's right "The bravery of being out of range"

But yes Michael, I must be assertive in these matters - I'm going to put my foot down with a firm hand - if that's ok with Julie.  :chocolate-box-smiley-emoticon
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:19:09 PM by Shiney »
FarRider #726

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #611 on: May 17, 2019, 08:04:48 PM »
Thanks for the update Pete.

We have our own lap in the early planning stage but a couple of years away from actually doing it; retirement age (67) for me is two and a half years away.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Kev Murphy

Offline aussiexs

• ST Legend
« Reply #612 on: June 02, 2019, 09:22:29 PM »
Hi Peter
What a fabulous ride, looking forward to the pictures. Did you plan the whole trip or have a flexible itinerary?

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #613 on: June 03, 2019, 07:09:41 AM »
Hi Peter
What a fabulous ride, looking forward to the pictures. Did you plan the whole trip or have a flexible itinerary?

Since there were a few points on the tip that were "locked in", such as the bike service in Darwin, I planned the whole trip, but deviated a little from the planned itinerary.  You can see my itinerary at the top of this thread.     Thanks for the reminder, as I do need to pull my finger out and post some pictures of the trip highlights.   

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy