Author Topic: Motorcycle Quote of the Day  (Read 428447 times)

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
Re: Quote of the Day
« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
'When what is indestructible meets what is irresistable, the female all too often wins.'
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #326 on: September 21, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »
“A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life. We spend all our time sealed in boxes and cars are just the rolling boxes that shuffle us from home-box to work-box to store-box and back, the whole time, entombed in stale air, temperature regulated, sound insulated, and smelling of carpets.”
—Poet Dave Karlotski
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »
Be the Marble: “Fill a bucket with baseballs, and there remains room for a lot of marbles in the interstices.  When the baseballs see a marble rolling past and get irate they have two options: Accept the marbles, or demand action from the authorities.  Both favour us marbles.  If they accept us, fine.  If they call their legislators and city council persons complaining, a public debate ensues.  When that happens, the marbles have a chance for justice.  If enough marbles are civilly disobedient, eventually things change in the marbles' favour.”
–Mr. Subjective
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #328 on: September 23, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
“I am fed up with good common sense.  I am fed up with my own good common sense.  Nobody, in full possession of all his faculties, can call “normal” wearing a stiff leather suit, boots, padded gloves and restricting helmet, mounting on two wheels over a responsive engine, riding among metal boxes speeding in opposite direction on surfaces designed for four solid anchors… no serious human being, I said, can admit that this is a rational behaviour.”
—Paolo Volpara, OMM Bulletin, 11/08”

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »
E=MC²
Excitement = Two Motorcycles.
Einstein.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
“I love to travel, but hate to arrive.”
Einstein

Offline growly

• ST Legend
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
owning a harley is like masturbating with a cheese grater , its interesting but mostly just painfull
I am slowly getting my self more Honda's, up to 5 now.
Also ride GTR1400, Hayabusa & 2 scooters to mix it up.
Farrider # 469

Offline growly

• ST Legend
« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
if in doubt go flat out , and if not sure give it more
Farrider # 469

Offline growly

• ST Legend
« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »
this applies to all bikers setting the bike up for touring or fun.....

why is there so much week left at the end of the pay packet
Farrider # 469

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #334 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »
'When what is indestructible meets what is irresistable, the female all too often wins.'

:grin Too true!  :grin

:bl11
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #335 on: September 28, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
My mother rides a motorbike because scrapbooking sucks.
Roadside sign, Qympie, Queensland

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #336 on: September 29, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »
The idea of travelling round the world had come to me one day in March that year, out of the blue.  It came not as a vague thought or wish but as a fully formed conviction.  The moment it struck me I knew it would be done and how I would do it.  Why I thought immediately of a motorcycle I cannot say.  I did not have a motorcycle, even a licence to ride one, yet it was obvious from the start that that was the way to go, and that I could solve the problems involved. 
The worst problems were the silly ones, like finding a bike to take the driving test on.  I resorted to shameless begging and deceit to borrow the small bike I needed.  There was a particularly thrilling occasion when I turned up at the Yamaha factory on the outskirts of London to take a small 125-CC trail bike out "on test."  I had my L plates hidden in my pocket, but first I had to get out of the factory gates looking as though I knew how the gears worked.  Those were the first and some of the hardest yards, I ever rode; now it can be told.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 17

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #337 on: September 30, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »
"Yes, yes, yes," they scream and, in a flurry of brown limbs, they fight with the Triumph up a gangplank, over a rail into a narrow gangway, through hatches, over sills and bollards, four hundred pounds of metal dragging, sliding, flying and dropping among roars and curses and pleas for divine aid, while I follow, helpless and resigned.  Finally the bike is poised over the water between the two boats. The outstretched arms can only hold it, but they cannot move it, and it is supported, incredibly, by the foot brake pedal, which is caught on the ship's rail.  Muscles are weakening.  The pedal is bending and will soon slip, and my journey will end in the fathomless silt of Mother Nile.  At this last moment, a rope descends miraculously from the sky dangling a hook, and the day is saved.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 73

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #338 on: October 01, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »
I carried out my first-ever major motorcycle overhaul in Alexandria.  I found a cavernous garage near Ramilies Station, haggled bitterly over five piastres for the right to work there, and then received many times that amount back in tea,  cigarettes, snacks and true friendship from the poor men who struggled to earn a livelihood in that place.
I took two days to do a job that might be done in two or three hours, but every move was fraught with danger.  I dared not make a mistake.  Already I knew that there would be no chance at all of getting spare parts in Egypt.  Both pistons, I found, were deformed by heat, and I had only one spare piston with me (a piece of nonsense which inspired more waves of telepathic profanity to burn the ears of Meriden [UK Triumph company]).  The pistons had seized their rings, and I put back the less distorted one after sculpting the slots with a razor blade.  It seemed the only thing to do.  I prayed that I was right.  I had no real idea about what had caused the overheating after only four thousand miles, and felt rather gloomy about it.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 66

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »
It was plainly impossible to move the bike, so I began to unload it.  I noticed immediately that my water bag was empty, the plastic perforated, the contents drained away.  Well at least l had a litre of distilled water.  With all the luggage off I glanced in the gas tank.  Had it been possible at this stage to shock me, I would have been shocked.  There was only a puddle of gasoline left, hardly a gallon.  My fuel consumption was twice what it should have been, and when I thought about it, that was perfectly natural.  Grinding along in second gear over a loose surface in such heat, it is what you would expect.  Only I, of course, had not expected it.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 82

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #340 on: October 03, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
If falling were a competitive sporting event, I would be a champion. Sometimes, on deeply rutted tracks like the one between Gedaref and Metema, it was impossible to avoid a fall.
(Getting it up again) was an exhausting exercise because I could not lift the bike without unpacking everything first.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 92

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #341 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
Scooping the sand out by hand took half an hour, but I managed to make a lane back to the firmer ground.  There was a bit of brush growing on the dunes, and I paved my lane with twigs.  Then, inch by inch, I was able to haul the bike back to where I wanted it.  Again I had lost a lot of sweat, and I got the water bottle out.  It was warm to the touch.  I put it to my lips, and then spat vigorously on the ground, mustering as much of my own good saliva as I could.  The bottle contained acid.  Battery acid.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 82

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #342 on: October 05, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »
I have had one more soft fall, but each jerk on the wheel pulls the muscle in my left shoulder and prevents it from healing.  I feel no hunger, no thirst.  I am absolutely wrapped up in this extraordinary experience, in the unremitting effort, in the marvellous fact that I am succeeding, that it is at all possible, that my worst fears are not just unrealized but contradicted.  The bike, for all its load, is manageable.  I seem to have, after all, the strength and stamina to get by, and my reserves seem to grow the more I draw upon them. 
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 95

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #343 on: October 06, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »
Why you?   Why were you chosen to ride through the desert while other men are going home from the office?
Chosen?  I thought I chose myself. Were Odysseus and Jason, Columbus and Magellan chosen?
That is a very exalted company you have summoned up there. What have you got in common with Odysseus, for God's sake?
Well, we're all just acting out other people's fantasies, aren't we?  Maybe we're not much good for anything else.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 96 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:06:31 PM by Biggles »

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #344 on: October 07, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
The road to Gedaref is worse.  Much worse.  Worse than anything I imagined.  At times, in fact, I believe it is impossible, and consider giving up.  The corrugations are monstrous.
Six-inch ridges, two feet apart, all the way with monotonous, shattering regularity.  Everything on the bike that can move does so.  Every bone in every socket of my body rattles.  Not even the most ingenious fairground proprietor could devise a more uncomfortable ride.  I feel certain it must break the bike. I try riding very slowly, and it is worse than ever.  Only at fifty miles an hour does the bike begin to fly over ridges, levelling out the vibration a little, but it is terribly risky.  Between the ridges is much loose sand.  Here and there are sudden hazards.  The chances of falling are great, and I am afraid of serious damage to the bike. Yet I feel I must fly, because I don't think the machine will survive eighty miles of this otherwise.  It js hair-raising and then it becomes impossible again.  The road swings to the west and the sun burns out my vision.  I realize I must stop and make camp.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 100

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #345 on: October 08, 2012, 06:55:25 AM »
Why don't the tires tear to shreds under all this punishment?  Why no punctures?  I think a puncture might finish me, I'm so beat.  Why doesn't the Triumph just die?  Unlike me, it has no need to go on.  It protests and chatters.  On one steep climb it even fainted, but after a rest it went to work again.  I hate to think what havoc is being wrought inside those cylinders.
We have such a long way to go.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 102

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #346 on: October 09, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
It is clear that the bike can barely cope with the combination of load, work and heat.  The road is scarred and ripped to rubble.  It's like following the track of some stumbling monster of destruction.  Halfway up a particularly hard climb, I lose momentum and the bike simply dies on me.  I don't know what's happened, what to do.  I wait awhile and kick it over.  It starts and revs up fine in neutral, but when I engage the clutch it dies on me again.  I am quite near the top of the hill, and I unload the heaviest boxes and carry them up myself.  Then I ride the bike up, and load again.  The plugs and timing are O.K.  What else can I do but cross my fingers, and try to keep up momentum.
Ted Simon.  Jupiter's Travels p 106

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #347 on: October 10, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
"Bibles & Motorcycles - should NEVER have that new, unused look about them."

Diesel, 2012
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Hanno

« Reply #348 on: October 10, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
It is not the destination, it is the journey.

Hanno

« Reply #349 on: October 10, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
Motorbike riding is the best fun you can have with your clothes on...

I don't remember what I did wit them off!