Author Topic: Motorcycle Quote of the Day  (Read 428527 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Motorcycle Quote of the Day
« Reply #1025 on: June 14, 2014, 05:41:32 PM »
All too aware that this was the witching hour for Australian wildlife, we kept a careful eye out for assorted kangaroos, wombats, koalas and funnel-web spiders as, at speeds which would have had us in a Van Diemen's Land chain gang had there been any traffic cops about, we swooped and dived through lush grassland, copse and sugar plantations, on a road of such seductive curves that if it had been a woman, you would have married her and had her children, never mind the pain.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p118-9
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #1026 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »
You know  :think1 I have never heard a motorcycle talk let along give a quote of the day  :think1 :whistle :crazy :grin :hijacked but all power to those who have heard one  :-++ :grin
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #1027 on: June 14, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
Sicman,

Leave Biggles alone, he is enjoying himself and not getting into trouble... :cop
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #1028 on: June 14, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
Sorry - Just seeing if the fishing was getting results today ;-*
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1029 on: June 14, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »
Sorry - Just seeing if the fishing was getting results today ;-*

No bites from me.  I know what I know.    :p
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #1030 on: June 14, 2014, 10:35:41 PM »
As expected  :wink1 :grin
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1031 on: June 15, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »
I stood there for a long time, filled with the happiness which being around old aeroplanes and motorcycles creates in me, possibly because it blesses me by osmosis with a ghost of the heroism of the men who flew and rode them, and then I got on more modern motorcycle and rode west into the late afternoon, imagining as I did that, as well as the hum of the engine, I heard an echo of another sound, the thrumming of ancient Avros and de Havillands heading home through the dying light of the day.
 And then I realised that the thrumming was coming from below me, accompanied by a staccato thudding against my boots. Looking down, I saw that they were liberally covered with bits of dead insect, and realised that Ray's grasshopper plague had come to pass. He'd just exaggerated the height they could jump.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p129

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1032 on: June 16, 2014, 09:10:55 AM »
And if you're wondering why the Corones Hotel is my favourite venue tor the founding of Qantas, it's partly because Poppa Corones allegedly proposed that the airline's first planes should be named after the figures of Greek mythology, such as Hermes and Pegasus, and as a reward was granted the Qantas catering contract so that, as every plane touched down at Charleville, his staff were already on their way across the grass with food, white table linen and silver service. And even more, because when Amy Johnson stopped to refuel at Charleville during her epic flight from England to Australia in 1930, she stayed at the Corones and asked Poppa for a champagne bath to celebrate the fact that the most dangerous part of her journey was over.
Poppa duly filled a bath with sixteen bottles and, not being a man to waste a penny, not only managed to rebottle the champagne after Amy had left, but ended up with seventeen bottles, so heaven knows what Amy got up to in that bath.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p129

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #1033 on: June 16, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
This bloke is really enjoying Australia.   ++

:bl11

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1034 on: June 17, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
Our bad-luck streak hadn't quite run out though as, just out of town, Matt was pulled over by the police for driving too close to Geoff. I chucked a Uey to have word as Matt pulled away, and the cop, who was actually pretty friendly, said, 'I just thought he was driving too close to your mate, and didn't know you were all travelling together, no worries mate.
After driving along the same dead-straight road for another 80km, Geoff and I were pulled over outside a police station in the middle of nowhere - the same cop we had encountered earlier was now doing random breath tests. We reckoned that he and his partner were just bored and wanted to have a look at the bikes, and sure enough, one of them turned out to be a biker.
 After they had breathalysed us, and Geoff revealed he had left his licence at home - 'It's okay, too much paperwork mate' - we had a yarn about what we were up to and they told us that the next bend was 480 kilometres away.
‘We'll have to be re-trained,’ I said
 'No worries. Once you turn right there, there's another couple of bends before Darwin - you'll love it, it's really interesting bike country.’
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p138-9

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1035 on: June 18, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »
To relieve the boredom of the endless straights, Colin and I finally decided to put them to some use by having a race, and as we were hurtling along side by side at a shade over 130mph, the thought suddenly occurred to me that this was only the average speed of the Isle of Man TT lap record set by John McGuinness the year before on winding country roads. It was about time we slowed down anyway, since a wind had sprung up from nowhere, flinging us this way and that across the road, and we found the reason why when we stopped to refuel; a sign in the window of the filling station saying, 'Fishing contest cancelled due to cyclone'. 'You're lucky. Today's just the end of it,’ said the woman behind the counter.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p141

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1036 on: June 19, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
Then, all of a sudden, red sandstone bluffs began fisting through the sunbaked earth, and before we knew it, we had dipped into the gorge of the Victoria River, winding through the dappled shade with the sun dancing cool blue on the river to our right and hot red on the cliffs to our left. We swooped around corners, like boys reborn. The scenery and grandeur lifted our mood after the enforced captivity of Darwin and we each hummed tunes as we sped along. We felt like the whistling kites that circled above us as we swooped through the valleys, the road rising and falling as it cut its way around the mountains. Black and white cockatoos kept us company as we drove, with the only downside being the occasional smell of death as we passed yet another wildlife traffic victim. Even cattle aren't safe from the road trains, and we saw at least two cows by the side of the road, slowly putrefying in the heat.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p161

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1037 on: June 20, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
West Australians are known as 'sandgropers' by the other states and looking around it was easy to see why. This area had very little soil but an abundance of white sand and it seems the local plants have evolved to survive in it. Unfortunately the town of Eucla hadn't fared so well as, back in the nineteenth centurv  it had been completely swallowed up by the shifting sand only to emerge every now and then, perfectly preserved, before being swallowed up again.
A sign from the local police kept me amused for the next few miles. It informed passing drivers that the local fuzz were 'targeting fatigue' and I wondered how they went about doing that. If they saw your eyelids drooping, did they jump out of the bushes and offer you a coffee? Or a pillow and a blanket? Maybe they drive you back to the station and tuck you in and read you a bedtime story. The possibilities for positive public relations seemed endless.
Clearly I was in need of a break, so we stopped at a hamlet called Edeabba, where we spotted a sign at the local football oval reading 'Beware Falling Limbs.' I looked at Geoff and checked my own, but they all seemed to be well attached.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p193

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1038 on: June 21, 2014, 11:43:43 AM »
We left at lunchtime, riding south in glorious sunshine and equable warmth, bliss after the heat and humidity of the north, through gum trees lining cow meadows and vineyards, until at last - Colin and Paul having gone ahead - I found myself riding behind an immaculately restored pearl grey and indigo Jaguar.
As we fell together through the chiaroscuro of the late afternoon light through the trees, it was as if we slowly slipped back into a more elegant age, so that instead of riding a modern Triumph, I was astride a Vincent Rapide or Brough Superior, wearing a houndstooth jacket and soft-collared shirt, goggles and tweed cap reversed, on my way home to a little house in a grove tor a supper of Lancashire hotpot and Spitfire ale with my wife.
 But my wife was far away across the world, so when we arrived in Margaret River I had a takeaway pizza and a glass of wine, then fell asleep in a backpackers' dorm, my heart filled with melancholy.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p196-7

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1039 on: June 23, 2014, 08:26:11 AM »
The next day, with time now on our hands after the long days in the Northern Territory and Western Australia, what bliss it was to wake late, have a leisurely breakfast and then gain all the time lost anyway by flinging the bikes around the curves of the road to Nannup, a sleepy hollow of wooden houses, a bowling green and a little cafe where we sat outside in the sun drinking organic hand-knitted free-range cappomochafrappuchinos and passing the time of day with locals walking their dogs or just themselves.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p201

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1040 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:06 AM »
The next morning, we were filling up at the village petrol station when owner Mick Cassidy pointed to a postcard on the wall behind him of a naked woman sprinting across the road. 'The Nullarbor Nymph, lads. Keep your eyes peeled for her, for very few are lucky enough to see her,’ he said in an accent which still had traces of London. 'Where are you from, Mick?' I said, handing over my credit card.
 'Wembley. You know, where our lot always beat you lot at football. Came out here to help my brother run the local store, then had to close it fifteen years ago when the gold mine closed down. One hundred and fifty miners left with their families and houses, and that was the beginning of the end for Norseman. Oh, and I don't want to see you lads again today.’
'Why not?
'Because I'm the local undertaker's assistant as well.’
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p207

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1041 on: June 25, 2014, 10:05:29 AM »
Balladonia had achieved brief global glory in 1979 when the space station Skylab broke up on re-entry and fell it, after which President Jimmy Carter phoned the mayor to apologise and a brief industry sprang up overnight selling T-shirts saying 'I Survived Skylab'.
Today, the attractions of the town are even more down to earth. I had plenty of time to think about them, since they were listed on a series of signs by the road into town cunningly calculated to build the hysteria up to near danger levels: 'Swimming Pool'; 'Children's Playground'; 'Cappuccino'.
As if that wasn't enough excitement for one day, shortly afterwards was the start of a ninety-mile stretch, known for being the longest straight road in the world.
As we rode along it for mile after endless mile, I could not help but think that Zen Buddhists spend a lot of time meditating to find the nothingness at the centre of their being, which is traditionally an inch and a half above the centre of their navels. I've got news for you, chaps. You're wasting your time. The nothingness you seek is in the Nullarbor, which is full of the stuff.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p209

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1042 on: June 26, 2014, 09:50:05 AM »
All of a sudden we came upon the Madura Pass, where the flat plain suddenly drops away towards the Great Australian Bight, offering an astounding view of the plain from above. It looked just like the Serengeti, minus the herds of wildebeest. It was breathtaking. At Madura Roadhouse the next day, the halfway point between Perth and Adelaide, we sat drinking coffee and looking down the hill at the Nullarbor stretching out to the horizon.
On the roadhouse sound system was The Power of Love', that old eighties power ballad which made women come over all funny at the end of discos and men glad they did.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p210

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1043 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »
Certainly waking up these last few mornings of the adventure was a bittersweet feeling: on the one hand I was looking forward to going home, to sleeping in my own bed and having all the old familiar things around me, yet knew that, as always, I would miss getting up every morning, putting all my stuff on a motorbike and riding off down the open road in the early morning sun, not having a clue what the day would bring.
As this morning proved, for we had been on the road a mere half an hour when we spotted three Royal Enfields parked by the side of the road, as Enfields often are. As I knew only too well, from having ridden one back to the UK from India where they are still made, the vagaries of old British bikes combined with Indian quality control created a machine on which even a trip to the shops was an adventure, although radical innovations such as electric start and a unit construction engine have more recently given them a disturbing reputation for reliability. These ones turned out to be owned by Ian, Charles and Russell, who were making their way back from the Hutt River fortieth anniversary, having ridden all the way across the Nullarbor to get there. Naturally, since you can take the Enfield out of India but not India out of the Enfield, Charles had spent several days in Perth while most of his engine was rebuilt.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p212

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1044 on: June 28, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
In a way, they were following in the honourable tradition of Winifred Wells, who in 1950 at the age of twenty-two rode an Enfield 350 all the way from Sydney to Perth and back on dirt roads at the height of summer, arrived back and announced that her machine hadn't missed a beat. She is still alive and well at the age of eighty-two.
How strange and wonderful it was, though, to watch them kick-start the bikes into life, to drink in the familiar heartbeat of single cylinder engine, like the purr of a lion after eating a particularly satisfying wildebeest, and then to ride with them for the rest of the day, feeling for all the world as if I was back crossing the burning sands of Persia with Paddy Minne the world-famous Franco-Belgian motorcycle mechanic, Enfields painted pillar-box red and lemon yellow, on my first motorcycle adventure twelve years before.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p213

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1045 on: June 29, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »
On the stroke of noon, we dismounted in Penwortham, walked up a grassy path past the little church, and found ourselves standing before the grave of John Horrocks, who set forth from these parts in July 1846 to find good pastoral land. From the very start, his expedition was prescient proof of W.C. Fields' later adage that you should never work with children or animals. Particularly animals: first the goats took great delight in leaping on the tent and eating it. Then Harry, a psychotic camel who was the first of his species to be used on an Australian expedition, tried to eat one of the goats, bit Garlick the tent-keeper, who was presumably wandering around redundant since he had no tent to keep, and chewed to bits the precious bags of flour.
As if that wasn't enough, one evening as Horrocks was unpacking, Harry lurched to one side and discharged Horrocks' gun, which was rather unfortunately pointing at Horrocks at the time. Harry was subsequently shot, although it took two bullets to kill him and he bit a stockman on the head before succumbing, Horrocks died of his wounds two weeks later, and 164 years later, we stood in mute homage before the plain grey cross and matching slab which marks the last resting place of the only explorer in history to be shot by his own camel.
Oz around Australia on a Triumph Geoff Hill & Colin O’Carroll p216

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1046 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »
Vehicle ferries are a major mode of transportation for crossing the Puget Sound in Washington. On many a sunny Saturday afternoon you can find hundreds of cars queued up and waiting hours for the next crossing. But this is not the case for motorcycles. Yes, there can easily be twenty bikes in line, but we do not wait. It is perfectly legal to skip around all cars, butt your way to the front of the line, and rally together with the other motorcycles in the staging zone. The officials will then have the motorcycles get on first and consolidate them at the front of the ship. And for this magical moment, be it thirty minutes or an hour and a half, you are no longer riding alone. All from many directions, we join together for that time.
On the ferry, you find out really quickly that everyone has a story, and, because you are not in a car and cannot roll up your window, you enter each other's world. All introductions start with the other person's ride and usually involve the history of their former bikes and ones they currently have but are cheating on this particular day. We then can get into stories about their journey.
Ride On  Joseph Fehlen p60-1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1047 on: July 01, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »
Sunrises and sunsets. Make the effort to watch at least one sunrise and one sunset every month, preferably while on your bike. Riding at these times has a magic all it's own that cannot be described. To watch a new day come to life and to be part of it is a privilege and should be treated as such. Sunset is a sign of that days passing and a glorious reminder that no day should be wasted. Pay attention to these things. Life is a fantastic journey and sunrises and sunsets are the mile markers.
Road Tales Steve Reed p18

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1048 on: July 02, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
The love of a good woman. You'll need this one most of all. Not only in all aspects of life, but especially with regards to motorcycling. She'll need to understand your need to ride in bad weather, your desire to see distant places, the times you need to ride alone, your constant obsession for your bike, the trips with your buddies, and dozens of other things. Maybe she'll ride, maybe she won't. Regardless, she should never feel threatened by your riding. Instead, strive to make her part of it. Involve her in more than just the bike cleaning rituals. If you're out on a trip, call her so she can hear your voice. See that she knows you'll return from each and every ride. Take the time to let her know that she's special and that the best part of any ride is coming home to her.
Road Tales  Steve Reed p19

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #1049 on: July 03, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »
That black Bridgestone 125 was the biggest, baddest, motorcycle he had ever seen and he was standing right beside it. He didn't dare touch it and knew better than to ask how fast it would go. Grownups didn't like foolish questions, you know. None the less, he couldn't help but be drawn to that machine. Something about it kept beckoning him back time and time again.  It was as though he was a fish on a line and the bike kept reeling him in.  Even when he would lay in bed at night, he could feel ifs pull on his soul.  There was something mystical about that motorcycle and he was powerless  against its spell. The thought of actually owning something that grand, that powerful, that beautiful was more than he dared to imagine. Maybe when  he was grown up and rich and famous he would buy that bike and it would  take him on hundreds of adventures. Yeah. That's exactly what he would do.  He'd show everybody what a person could do if they had a bike like that! So the next day, he went to see the bike again. But this time he had a purpose.  However, as he approached the bike, his resolve started to crumble. It was so big! The speedometer went all the way to 80 mph! How could a person  drive something so big so fast! It just didn't seem possible. His dreams of  excitement and adventure started to fade when he heard a voice say "Want to sit on her?" He whirled around to see a man smiling down at him "Are you  serious? You'd let a little kid like me sit on this motorcycle?" the boy asked  excitedly.
"You wont be a little kid forever, came the answer. 'Who knows?  Maybe you'll grow up to be a motorcycle rider. You gotta start somewhere."  Having said this, the man lifted the boy up and placed him on the seat of the  motorcycle. Sitting there, the boy noticed the gasoline price on the sign was 24.9 cents a gallon. And he had not one, but TWO quarters in his pocket! All the excitement and adventure came rushing back, pouring over the boy like  rainwater pouring out of a downspout in a thunderstorm. That one voice had  made a difference. It opened a whole new world when it placed that small boy  on the seat of that shiny black motorcycle. 
To this day, it's still my favorite seat. 
Road Tales  Steve Reed pp23-4