Author Topic: Metal in oil  (Read 3573 times)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
Metal in oil
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »
Hello all,

I am a fairly recent ST1300 owner and after having a shocker today I am hoping somebody will be able to help me. I decided to change the engine oil and check the coolant system out. Done this sort of thing a gazillion times on cars, trucks and tractors, how hard could a bike be right?

To get to the radiator cap I had to remove the right faring (correct???) and being an in for a penny in for a pound sort of guy before long I had every bit of plastic of the bike.  Except for the panniers. I am merrily cleaned every trace of dirt off the newly exposed parts and as I was swapping from the centre to the  side stand I tripped over the oil pan on the floor dropping  the bike over on the pannier. (Sorry Steve! The previous owner who kept the bike in showroom condition!)   I wrenched my elbow trying to stop the bike hitting the floor and it now appears to be unusable so with my left hand I will finally type my questions. (Sorry for the whinge)

1) The damage to the pannier appears to be confined to the clear coat, the base coat appears in tact. Does anyone know if a professional can repair that sort of damage or will I need to buy a new pannier?  Unfortunately  I am sort of guy who will notice the slightest imperfection so if I can't get a factory finish I'll probably buy a new one.

2) There was a lot of oil over the bottom and back of the engine. The aluminium heat shields on the bottom fairings were caked in oil and mud. The oil appeared to be more concentrated on the right side rear of the engine which made me suspect the output shaft seal. Is this ever a problem with STs. If so is it a hard fix?

3) When I checked the drained oil there appeared to be some brass flakes in it. Has anyone seen this and if so where did it come from? (Hopefully not a disintegrating brass bush deep in the engine somewhere.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  After I crap year I finally spoiled myself with the bike and she is my proud and joy. As my kids would put it "I''m devo" to see her injured.

Take are,
Todd

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: Metal in oil
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »
bugger mate, while i dont have answers for you, at least you have a great bunch of people who all went, "Oh No" reading this and went out in sympathy with you.....

i am sure there will be some good answers from the brains trust here  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »
The pannier can readily be repainted by a panel beater.  The Honda colour is readily available.  Even if it was dented, they can fix it- no need to buy a new one.

Of course there should be no oil on the outside of the engine case.  You will need to do a thorough clean, maybe with a pressure cleaner, to ascertain the source.

Brass in oil is definitely no good, and unheard of in this forum.  I just did a quick search of
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/

which is our mentor, with no useful info.

You might get the oil analysed by a professional- there are plenty of those around.

Sorry about your horror experience.  Hopefully your arm is coming good.  No one stops an SAT once they start falling!!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
Thanks blokes for your input.

I think I'll do another few hundred kays and drop the oil (not the bike) again and have it analysed.

A mate knows a fellow in Newcastle who specializes in motorcycle plastic repair and painting so the panniers should be ok.

If you are in the Valley let me know and we'll go for a ride. I always feel like the odd man out riding with a bunch of guys on hogs. It would be nice to ride with some like minded souls.

Take care
Todd

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
If you are in the Valley let me know and we'll go for a ride. I always feel like the odd man out riding with a bunch of guys on hogs. It would be nice to ride with some like minded souls.

Take care
Todd

Glad you're making progress.  As you can see from the Member Map, there are at least 7 other riders in the Valley with whom you could meet up.
You're right about riding with HD riders- it just ain't natural!  Even Yammie, Kwaka and Suzi riders make more sense!     :o
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Assassin

• ST1300
    • Freestyle Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
Sorry for the dramas mate, I hope your arm heals ok... The ST isn't the lightest bike around...

As for the oil leak on the right hand side, check the tell-tale hole on the front of the motor, on the right hand side of the water pump... It's a tiny 1/8" hole and is common to leak oil through there... Probably best to pressure clean the motor first then will be easier to identify the origin...
If the oil is higher up, it could be tappet covers....

As for brass in the oil, doesn't sound good at all I'm sorry to say. If the crank if big end bearing are wearing through the White metal, you might see brass filings, but will be very fine... Does the motor have a slight knock ?

A good way to tell is to run the motor, put the front brake on in first gear and with a slight rev, let the clutch slowly out.... This loads up the motor and knocking will be more evident... But certainly I wouldn't be doing any long journeys until the issue is solved...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Honda ST1300 | Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:41 PM »
Sorry for the dramas mate, I hope your arm heals ok... The ST isn't the lightest bike around...

It was nearly a year ago, so the arm should be healed and the oil leak sussed out by now.

Offline Assassin

• ST1300
    • Freestyle Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »

It was nearly a year ago, so the arm should be healed and the oil leak sussed out by now.

Sheesh, I should have checked the date... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Honda ST1300 | Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa