Author Topic: Why I'd rather fix them than fly them!  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
Why I'd rather fix them than fly them!
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
Martin-Baker test film

Martin-Baker Ejection Tests

Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
Re: Why I'd rather fix them than fly them!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
 :wht11 py
maybe that police officer should of had one fitted  to his bike  :whistle :whistle

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »
I thought it would be a crash test dummy they would test at ground level, but it appears to be a person.  It doesn't allow much margin for error, or time to fill the parachute for the descent phase.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline JuST Peter

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »
  It doesn't allow much margin for error, or time to fill the parachute for the descent phase.
I guess having a rough landing and being able to talk about it is a better alternative...
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »
Martin-Baker have an ejector seat called a Zero-Zero seat, which will get the pilot out safely if he is at zero feet and zero knots...quite a feat when you consider that it has to throw him high enough to separate from the seat and have sufficient height to allow for his chute to deploy, fill with air and slow him down enough so that he lands safely.

It is a know fact that all ejections compress the spine of the seat occupant by anything up to 3/4 of an inch, in other words the pilot ends up 3/4 inch shorter than when he took off, that is why there is a strict limit to the number of times any individual pilot can 'bang out'. In the British Air Force it is three times...after that all he can fly is a desk.
Cheers,
Paul
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline JuST Peter

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »
Martin-Baker have an ejector seat called a Zero-Zero seat, which will get the pilot out safely if he is at zero feet and zero knots...quite a feat when you consider that it has to throw him high enough to separate from the seat and have sufficient height to allow for his chute to deploy, fill with air and slow him down enough so that he lands safely.

It is a know fact that all ejections compress the spine of the seat occupant by anything up to 3/4 of an inch, in other words the pilot ends up 3/4 inch shorter than when he took off, that is why there is a strict limit to the number of times any individual pilot can 'bang out'. In the British Air Force it is three times...after that all he can fly is a desk.
If you'd banged out 3 times wouldn't you consider yourself jinxed?!
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »
I know of this ruling because of a pilot in the Air Force whose name was Flt Lt Hugh Rigg (his sister was the actress Dianna Rigg), he was a test pilot at Farnborough, and he'd had to bang-out of two test aircraft when I first heard of him, and the next time he had to leave a stricken aircraft the cunning bugger rolled it onto it's back, undid his straps and fell out. He reckoned that was the way to get round the three-strike rule, and it worked for a while.
Cheers,
Paul
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
Cant say that I know of any RAAF Pilots that have ejected more than once, its an experience they dont want to do again. A senior Pilot I know well always said that he would land a PC9, cos his legs wouldnt clear the windscreen hoop on ejection.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
Oh yes they would...they'd just stay behind in the cockpit  :eek :eek :eek :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss
Cheers,
Paul
Red, 2004, ST 1300A