Author Topic: 2019-05-26 Balranald Ride To Eat  (Read 1433 times)

2019-05-26 Balranald Ride To Eat
« on: May 28, 2019, 05:15:28 PM »
To quote Shiney in his videos "another RTE done and dusted".  Another enjoyable get together and good food to boot.  A bit suprised that a hotel called the Shamrock doesn't have Gunness.  Lorne didn't have it either, and that was on Saint Patrick's Day.  When I lived in Perth the football club I played for was called Shamrock Rovers.

Now, to the ride.  Not a lot new territory for me on the overnighter to Balranald for the tri-state (pent-state) RTE.  It was the first time I have ridden from Euston to Balranald in New South Wales and from Lake Powell to Hattah in Victoria, but the rest was roads I had traversed before.  That said, Buronga to Euston and Piangil to Lake Powell were first for the kwaka.

No surprise I left in the dark.  I had hoped to be at Truro by first light but as you can see it was till dark.

In fact it was still dark when I arrived at Renmark so I stopped for breakfast, a cup of coffee and a chance to defrost.

My only real detour in Victoria was at Ned's Corner, just for a bit of fun.

I quite often stop at level crossings and wonder if the line is still in use.  This one was in Mildura, where I refuelled a few minutes later and crossed into New South Wales.

I was in the process of a quick stretch of the legs and emptying of the tanks at Mallee's Mail Route rest area when this lorry went past.  Once back on the bike it was out the slip lane looking to my right to see if the lane was clear enough for me merge in.  It was but what I didn't count on was a vehicle overtaking a lorry on the wrong side of the road coming from the other direction.  That was the only frightening moment of the trip.  Lesson, learned - look both ways exiting a rest area, even if you're going left.

I arrived at the caravan park at about noon.  When I arrived at the same place for the 2017 RTE I found all the Ozstocers in the pool.  Not this time.  Pool was closed anyhow.

Unload the bike, shower, boot up the 'puter and then it was off to greet people and check out Johnnyyted's new toy.  Nice colors.

Pre RTE nibbles with friends until after dark.  It sure got cold once the sun went down.

My office for the night.  Mustn't forget to charge the electricals.

My breakfast kit:

The following morning I woke up to find out that Tranmere Rovers secured back to back promotion with another win at Wembley, duly waitied for first light and hit the road in mild fog.  It was well gone by the time I arrived in Tooleybuc.

I am pretty sure I played a Boundary Bend photo in the "where is this? thread, albiet with a different ride.  It was the first time to bring the kwaka to this stretch of road.

Another photo I had played in the "where is this?" thread was Meridian road on the 143°E meridian at Manangatang.  Id's stopped that day because I had seen the same road at Lake Powell in 2014 and til this day don't know what the significance of the 143° meridian is.

I've ridden through Ouyten tonnes of times but this was my first time to look at the station.  I don't think it sees much action these days.

On my Anzac Day ride report I wrote about how the weather turned very Victorian after crossing the border, but for this trip it was the other way round.  I had sunny weather for most of Victoria.  It got a little cloudy in Walpeup, thicker in Linga and I pulled over here in Murrayville to put my rain gear on.  I was expecting rain later in the day so it was no real surprise.

I rode over the border from Panitya to Pinnaroo and thought I didn't see the level crossing, doubled back and had another look.  My eyes weren't decieving me.  They've dug it up and there are no tracks on the road anymore, but they are visible either side of it.  The quarantine station was closed again as it was on my previous trip.  I don't know if it's closed for good or just me picking the wrong/right time.  The third change was the service station, which has moved again.

After Pinnaroo the rain did indeed start to fall.  This was on the Karoonda Highway, probably in Chapman Bore or Ettrick.

A bit of respite from it in Murray Bridge but it was short lived.

More rain on the South eastern Freeway, but I come prepared.

I didn't count the kilometres travelled, but I'd say it was about 1200.

*disclaimer:  spelling and grammatical errors will be corrected at a later date. :X
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:07:48 PM by Bodų »

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, Langers

Offline Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
Re: 2019-05-26 Balranald Ride To Eat
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 07:46:14 PM »
Thanks Bodo good read and great photos
Thanks for sharing  :like
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:19:19 PM by Wild Rose »
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

The following users thanked this post: STroppy

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 01:14:09 AM »
Thanks Bodo, nice write up though you had be thinking you were in the UK calling a B double a lorry; thought that was just a UK thing.

Look like the Mildura track could still see some use because of the warning signals. More than likely just freight.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 06:17:33 AM »
Thanks Bodo, nice write up though you had be thinking you were in the UK calling a B double a lorry; thought that was just a UK thing.

Look like the Mildura track could still see some use because of the warning signals. More than likely just freight.
The other mane I've heard the British use, is HGV, short for Heavy Goods Vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Bodų

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
I probably use the word lorry more than I do truck.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »
Awesome RR mate, thank you for sharing  :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Pete

• ST1300A
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 12:56:18 AM »
Well done Bodo, fantastic reading
Thank you.
Pete

Ulyssesian #56030
Red Metallic 2008 ST1300