Author Topic: Seat mod  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Seat mod
« on: May 02, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
I'm not sure where to place this, but it is construction.. sorta...

The original seat on my ST1100 was in good condition foam-wise, but the cover had some small splits in it and had gone hard.

I wanted to buy another standard seat and then have a go at reshaping mine, but standard seats don't come up for sale that often and then they seem to fetch a good price.

I managed to get hold of a Sergeants seat, and replaced the standard seat with it. It had a better shape to it, and it let me sit slightly lower but it was still too hard and didn't shape to the bum, so I still got aches on longer trips.

Now I am out of work I have more time but less money, so I thought it was time to have a go at reshaping the original seat.

I found the website that gives great information on how to rebuild your motorbike seat. I asked around trying to get decent foam, etc.. but not much luck.
The last auto upholsterer that I went to said that he had modified a few motorbike seats and his approach was to buy exercise mats from BIG W.. cut them to pieces and layer build up areas that need building up on the seat.

Tools needed: angle grinder with a worn sanding disc (I had a worn flap disc), and cheap electric bread knife.

The standard seat tilts the rider forward and this, for me, put too much pressure on my wrists. I fitted the 3.5" handlebar risers.. and that was good, but that caused the seat to put pressure on the back of my bum. So, I lightly ground away at the foam at the rear of the riders section of the seat and took it down ~40mm. Still plenty of foam support left. I ground some of the edge of each side of the seat where my legs hung over.. all the time feeling with my hands and sit-testing the seat. I eventually got it to a shape that felt good, so I went for a local but extended ride. Came home.. made some adjustments, etc until I was happy with it.
Then, looking at the website and comparing to the Sergeants seat I had to increase the foam height in front of me.. so I added about 4 layers of the Dunlop exercise mat and ground and cut it to shape. Went for a ride and realised that I needed more ball-room!!! So back home and ground some more.. I am very happy with the improvement so far.

BTW.. and experience rider trainer showed me the cover on his modern bikes seat and it was more flexible than mine and also a dotted texture to it, where mine was hard, smooth and slippery. So once I have finished modding the foam I will look out for some decent cover material for it.

More later....

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Seat mod
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »
Good work Rod, looking forward to following this......

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »

Seat base sculptured and adding bolstering at the front:

End of today. Bolster shaped, rear seat section sculptured and some added foam:

More adjustments tomorrow!

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
The purple exercise mat foam has similar cushioning to the original foam but feels a little more gel like!
It has adhered very nicely to the original foam. The original foam was very easy to grind so long as you take it slowly and lightly.
Surprisingly easy to sculpt without problems. The bread knife made easy work of cutting the purple foam but it was trickier to shape with the grinder.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

Website that I have referred to!

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »
Nice work Rodd, I think I may have to do mine soon as well.

Good Pic's.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »
Excellent article, I will see to it that you get free membership for the next two years...

:beer :beer :beer
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
Excellent article, I will see to it that you get free membership for the next two years...

:beer :beer :beer

Gee Brock your generosity is only succeeded by your good looks,  :hatwave :-++

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »
Contact TC (Ozstoc member) in a couple of days as he is away at present.  Terry's an upholsterer and has some great material to cover seats with, it's flexible and grippy.
A problem with the standard ST1100 seat is that the vinyl goes hard over time and causes the rider lotsa discomfort.  Happens to a lot of bike seats and it's the first thing a trimmer will check.

Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
Thanks Brad.

Here's a video that of the grinding process just after I started.
Seat

Just remember to touch the foam lightly, and to draw the grinder away from the foam (not push into it).
Keep feeling for high and low spots, step back.. look .. and make sure that you are even across the seat.
The sanding disk or flap disk in the grinder needs to be a well worn one.
The final layer of soft foam will hide any small irregularities.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »

A bit more shaping.. added some side support to my seat. My wife and I both sat on the bike last night and she indicated to me where the seat rubbed, etc, So that has been shaped a bit more.
Needed more ballroom, so worked in that area of the seat.
Very happy with it at the moment. Much, much more comfortable and better support and cushioning.
Time for an extended ride and then to get hold of some decent cover material...

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:46:08 PM »
To ensure that your cover has a really smooth finish (doesn't show 'bumps' from underneath) you could add a layer of foam.  The foam immediately under the cover on my seat is 1/2 inch thick and I think it adds to the comfort as it's softer then the Honda foam.

Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Bluey

• Burleigh Heads, Qld
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
Nice job Rodd. The challenge will now be to cover it.

You have done everything I would like to do to mine and your photos have given me the courage to give it a try. Thanks.
'99 ST1100

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
Thanks Bluey.
Watch the videos from the website I linked to above, because you can see how a fella on their handles the glue and the basic tools that he uses (hacksaw blade, tin lid with holes punched thru it.. used as a sander!).

As Brad has said, the final foam layer needs to be glued on before the cover can go on... I may have to learn to sew now!!