Author Topic: Maintenance Day at Greencan's place (Sunbury)  (Read 9521 times)

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
Re: Maintenance Day at Greencan's place (Sunbury)
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
You just can't get the staff can you...  :nahnah

I wasn't sure if the globes were one for brakes and one for the lights, but I was convinced that I used to have two lights and got brighter when the brakes were on...

All sorted though...

:wht11

Offline denis

• ST Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »
Thanks to Dick and Ellie for great day and hospitality. Great day and so much info my head is still spinning. A must do again, thanks Dick for your HUGE effort and sharing what you have learned over the years. Denis.

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »
Morning J et al...

Glad that you got something out of it J  :thumb and really great to see you all again  :runyay

Well, the repair time for the ST I used for the day got protracted further this morning after I removed the cush blocks  :'(...

...the distance between the red arrow should be a tolerance fit to the flange drive's 65mm...this damaged wheel hub measures 63.4mm to 64mm....it neither round nor a tolerance fit for the drive flange.

THIS IS CRITICAL! because until it is repaired, all future replacement cush drive rubbers AND the alloy blocks WILL fail prematurely!

The gouge marks within the red circles are from direct contact of the alloy blocks AFTER the complete failure of the rubber cushes...on this bike the dealer had re-used the alloy blocks and had inserted 1 or more USED rubber blocks and fitted a new flange drive. The alloy blocks I have removed, have corresponding witness marks to those gouges within the wheel...I will be unable to refurbish these blocks like the ones I showed people.

I may begin a separate thread on this repair latter.

Cheers, the can :-)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 10:03:02 AM »
Thanks to Dick and Ellie for great day and hospitality. Great day and so much info my head is still spinning. A must do again, thanks Dick for your HUGE effort and sharing what you have learned over the years. Denis.

Thank U Denis...big effort of your part in getting here :thumb

Well, that knackered crown wheel spline you picked up on creating more work for moi  ;-*...well as you can see now having removed the cush blocks...my situation hasn't improved :'(...good thing I have til tomorrow mornin' to fix it hey!  :o

Cheers, the can :-)

Online Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »
Morning and many THANKS to Richard for the days learning curve.Very informal approach to the bikes details that I think all would have walked away with some better understanding of how this machine fits together. One thing is for sure that when I need a new rear Tyre I will be taking off the wheel myself to check over the drive-line and hopefully stop something before it starts, as is pictured above. If we can get another one together I`ll be there.Thanks again.. Nice catering toooooooooooo. :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline NandV

• ST1300 Aussie Legend
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »
What a brilliant day.
 Ella's catering, Richards sharing his Honda knowledge, the informal / very relaxed setting, all excellent.
Will be re checking my last rear wheel tyre change when we get back from the beach, a new front tyre to be fitted sooner rather than later and now know what that occasional small knock in the front suspension is all about. !!
Also follow up on the preload adjuster - the day was wall to wall gold plate - Thankyou.
Cheers
Neil
NandV
 :like 

Offline ppopeye

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
I agree with all the above comments. Thanks Richard and Ella for your hospitality and catering. We all had a great day and learnt lots of useful information.  Whether we do  bike maintenance ourselves or through a dealer or mechanic we have learnt, stuff to look out for or to check as well. I hope this type of event can be regular. And I have to clean up my shed.

Garry C

Sent from my iPad
ppopeye

I never ride faster than my angel can fly!

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Offline Hendo

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Thanks to Richard and Ella for Inviting us around to eat their food and drink their beer. It was a great day and we all learned lots. Attached are some snaps.

Hendo

Hendo

Ex Bikes
SRX250; GT380; GSX-250F; XT-250; ZZR-250;  ST1100 - RIP

Current Bikes
GV650; ST1300

Offline ppopeye

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »
Nigel looks very worried

Sent from my iPad
ppopeye

I never ride faster than my angel can fly!

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Online Nigel

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
Sh1t I `m not thin, but those rally shirts do no justice...... Thanks all, remember what goes around comes around..................................... :wht11

To Quote Greencan I think I`ve been fettled with...................................... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... :wht11

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:29:49 PM by Nigel »
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
Evenin' All...

Thank U all for the kind words from moi and my dear Wife, who also says your all so polite and well behaved...puts the pressure on Chaps :Whipped

Anyway, I think we will do it again in the New Year :thumb...I will keep you all post on just how the Final drive / wheel on the demo ST1100 turns out...which may include a repair to the wheel I have not done before, but really would like to give it a go...stay tuned.

In the mean time ride safe and perhaps catch up at the next RTE...and with a specific task on someone's bike from the group...thank you all again, :clap...and a special thank U to Brian C who helped out and came down with the best maintained ST1300 on the forum :clap

Moderator...reckon ya can button up this thread in a week if you wish.

Cheerio, Dick-n-El :-)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:45:35 PM by Greencan »