Author Topic: Final drive concerns  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Calsonic

• Jericho Productions
Final drive concerns
« on: May 17, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »
Hi all,

I'm still on the learning wagon on these ST's but I have come to the conclusion that the Final drive is likely the biggest point of concern when purchasing one of these rides. Especially considering the cost to replace it. So I have a few questions about it.

1. How would I check this on a second hand bike?
2. Is it reasonable to ask a seller to let me thoroughly inspect it?
3. Is it safe to assume that with proper care and regular maintenance, the final drive should remain in good working order or will it eventually wear out anyway?
4. Does the ST1300 have the same issues?

Thats all for now.

I thank you all for your valuable input.

Regards

Geoff
Honda ST1100A :bl11
Suzuki GT750
Yamaha XS250
Kawasaki Z400

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Surveyors are on the level
Re: Final drive concerns
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 06:51:23 PM »
Good afternoon Geoff
If I were to buy another ST I would ask to take the rim off and inspect the drive. Most police bikes are half worn at 80 thousand due to the flogging they have received up to that point. After that they should last the two to three hundred thousand kays unless no or little moly grease has been used. Don't know about civilian rides however the type of grease used is critical. Moly 60 as a minimum should be used. If regular mainteneance is done and the ride is not used for track work then they will last for a long time.
Thats my 2 cents worth this week
Cheers to all  :grin
Wombat
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

The following users thanked this post: Calsonic

Offline Calsonic

• Jericho Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate the input.

Geoff
Honda ST1100A :bl11
Suzuki GT750
Yamaha XS250
Kawasaki Z400

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
I had to do a repair on our 1100's final drive unit.

Main (only???) cause of either lack of grease, wrong grease or no grease at time of tyre change at dealer's.

At the last rear tyre change all was still as good as it was when I completed the repair. The cush drive was also done a few months later and that too is good.

I remove the wheels myself at tyre change and get the local tyre dealer to swap the tyres over for a modest fee. Grease needs for the rear splines and the speedo drive I do myself to make sure it's done.

The 1300 has a different set up which I have yet to look at myself but I'm sure the moly grease is also needed in there as well.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Phil.S

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 10:03:05 PM »
Hello Geoff,
The condition of the final drive on a ST1100 will depend on how well serviced it has been , when I purchased mine in 2013 the previous owner told me he did all his own servicing, all he did was change the oil and filter, the bike required new tyres also ,when the mechanic I use went to change the rear tyre it took him 40 minutes to get the rear wheel off the spline because it had not been greased properly , the spline was so badly worn it would have failed within 2000 kms had I not taken it in to be serviced.
My bike is routinely serviced and maintained , it had 65,000 kms on it after that service and now has 103,000 on it with no problems.
If you can’t get to see how it was maintained prior to purchase get it in and have someone go over as soon as.