Farkles, Gear & Accessories > Construction and Major Projects

Esky Install on Trailer

(1/5) > >>

alans1100:
A couple months ago I needed to replace our esky (ice-box) which we've had for twenty years. The plan was to get something that could be used in the car and for the bike trailer. Being used on the trailer meant it had to full-fill two needs: Be able to fit in the trailer and be able to mounted up front on the draw bar and so a 50 litre (same size as old one) was chosen. http://www.bigterrain.com.au/cc50l-ice-box.html

Over the last few weeks I have got together some 2mm ali sheet and two right angles ( 1 given to me) and all I need now is the rivet gun which I have just ordered.

To get this project under way a few days ago I had to remove what looked like a 5 ply home made ice box rack installed by the previous owner. A real bush job held on by 6 pieces of twisted wire.

Leaving the draw bar free for my upcoming installation. The VIN plate will need to be relocated as it will be covered by the new shelf.

This was todays effort: to get the correct location for the shelf the esky with the lid opened was placed on the draw bar

To prevent movement of the esky is where the angled ali comes in. I bought one piece which I was going to cut into three giving one up front and one each side but with the free piece I can do this. To hold the esky in place I will need to add a couple straps. Somewhere I have a couple of mini ratchet straps which should do. Plus a hole below the drain plug. 

The only other item I need is some sticky backed rubber strips (still need to find) to mount on the inside of the angle pieces to prevent them wearing the esky and a piece of carpet off cut between the esky and the shelf.

Will update upon completion

Yorkie:
If you turn the esky 180, wind pressure whilst moving will hold it closed and it can also be mounted closer to the axle, reducing weight on the hitch.

ST2UP:
Good point Yorkie about the wind, but the latches look as though they would need the same clearance as the lid to hinge back anyway  :think1

Good job Alan  :like

Do you use normal servo ice or may your own ??

I played with Dry Ice a few years ago.....was good stuff but needed carefull handling.

alans1100:

--- Quote from: Yorkie on January 01, 2015, 08:46:30 PM ---If you turn the esky 180, wind pressure whilst moving will hold it closed and it can also be mounted closer to the axle, reducing weight on the hitch.

--- End quote ---

Between the lid of the trailer and the esky the gap isn't that great, maybe 35mm. The esky lid when open rests on the trailer lid but will open further when the latter is open

From now until my trip to WA I don't for see to many trips with the esky mounted up front, maybe border run and Balranald as maybes at this time.

Weight on the hitch is something I thought about. Normally I have one of those 50 litre plastic containers full of cooking gear which was up front in the trailer but that can be moved to back over the axle to compensate.

alans1100:

--- Quote from: ST2UP on January 01, 2015, 09:23:14 PM ---
Do you use normal servo ice or may your own ??

--- End quote ---

I use both. First to consider is water for cooking/drinking and the best way to carry it. How much to take depends on the trip but I found that three x 2 litre soft drink bottles filled with water and frozen for a few days is best plus one chilled for drinking/cooking water for first night. Servo ice is added end of day two or the next morning.

What do you all do with the melted servo ice water? I recycle for washing up and if I have enough left over for a once over with the wash clothe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version