Author Topic: Honda Crosstourer Demo Ride  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Down Under

Honda Crosstourer Demo Ride
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »

Yesterday I managed to throw my leg over the new Honda Crosstourer for a 30 min test ride.  I've been looking forward to riding this bike and been thinking about entering into the dual sport market when the ST13 is due for replacement.

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about the how the bike performed overall but what I can say is that I was disappointed.  The V4 engine is the real stand out.  The low to mid range torque is astonishing.  It accelerates at a blinding rate.  The seating position is good and feels comfortable enough for long distance touring.  On smooth bitumen the bike's suspension felt fairly plush but as soon as the going got rough it felt like a cross between a rocking horse and a bucking bronco!  There was no jarring or jolting just a very uncomfortable pitching and rocking sensation.  After 20 mins I began to head back to the dealer.  Definitely not the bike for the type of back road touring I was hoping it would do.

I've now ridden the VFR 1200X, Yamaha Super Tenere, Triumph Explorer and Suzuki DL650.  Surprisingly, the little Suzuki Vstrom was one of the sweetest bikes I'v ridden for sometime.  It was by far the most comfortable in the class, suspension handled rough roads with ease, a really pleasant engine just wanting to rev and the handling was light and nimble all for about $11,000 ride way.  As far as value for money is concerned the little Suzuki put the big boys to shame......gotta get a ride of the old DL1000.  If it's as good as its little brother I'm gunna get one!  Just goes to show you that you don't have to spend big bucks for a good ride.

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: Honda Crosstourer Demo Ride
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:36:31 PM »
Good stuff. I've nothing but good reports about the 650 V Strom.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
Same here. I test rode a DL650 a while ago and it was a great bike.  Anything like the  Crostourer would have to be pretty good.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
You'll love the DL1000, so take your wallet. Excellent bang for ya buck. I know someone that has had both sizes and bought the newer models the smaller one for his wife.
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
I've heard the other school who say there's no gain in getting the 1000, that the 650 does the job better, especially if you're only going solo.  I deduce the extra 350cc are helpful for the extra weight of a pillion.  But you'd have to believe someone who owns and rides both.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:30:54 AM »
Hey Biggles,
I fully support your school of thought as the guy I know with both bikes only bought the 1000 because of the deal Suzuki had at the time the difference was $1000 and his wife rode her own bike so no pillion argument waded into the decision making process.

I've heard the other school who say there's no gain in getting the 1000, that the 650 does the job better, especially if you're only going solo.  I deduce the extra 350cc are helpful for the extra weight of a pillion.  But you'd have to believe someone who owns and rides both.
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline Down Under

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »

I'm looking at the DL1000 as it'll be used for carrying a pillion, luggage and maybe tow a trailer.  my mate just bought a new DL1000 for $11490.  He should pick it up next week.  As it's near impossible to find demo bikes he's going to let me ride his before I committ.  If for some reason I'm not happy with the 1000 It would be hard to pass up the DL650......the wife will just have to stay at home!   :grin

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
 I have had a 2012 DL650 Vstrom (Wee STrom)  :whistle for 2 months now and have done just over 4000 klms in that time. My last trip was 1100klms in two days towing a fully loaded trailer from Perth to Southern Cross via Wave Rock and the Emu Fence rd (80 klm of dirt rd ) to visit my daughter then home again. The Wee STrom handled it no worries returning an average over the 1100k of  52.53 mpg, since new while not towing I'm averaging 61 mpg.  :thumbsup
     The Wee STrom is as comfortable as my ST1300 though not as much weather protection, handles a pillion and luggage with no problems if needed, but the reason I bought  this bike was for solo riding. I also looked at the other X Tourers on the market including the DL1000, Triumph 800 & 1200, Honda & Kawasaki Versy and after weighing the good and bad points of each I decided on the Wee STrom because of cost of ownership, weight, ergonomics and overall ability.
     With LOTO not riding with me as much as she used to I find I am using the Wee STrom more and more, this bike is a very good all round motorcycle, will cruise all day at well above the speed limit,  :law return exceptional economy, handle the twisties like it's on rails, has great suspension that can handle dirt roads and our rapidly deteriating main roads  :well and is a great commuter. I am enjoying it so much I have even started thinking about selling the ST1300  :fp
2016 KTM1290 Super Adventure
2018 HONDA NC750X

Offline Down Under

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 05:46:50 PM »
I have had a 2012 DL650 Vstrom (Wee STrom)  :whistle for 2 months now and have done just over 4000 klms in that time. My last trip was 1100klms in two days towing a fully loaded trailer from Perth to Southern Cross via Wave Rock and the Emu Fence rd (80 klm of dirt rd ) to visit my daughter then home again. The Wee STrom handled it no worries returning an average over the 1100k of  52.53 mpg, since new while not towing I'm averaging 61 mpg.  :thumbsup
     The Wee STrom is as comfortable as my ST1300 though not as much weather protection, handles a pillion and luggage with no problems if needed, but the reason I bought  this bike was for solo riding. I also looked at the other X Tourers on the market including the DL1000, Triumph 800 & 1200, Honda & Kawasaki Versy and after weighing the good and bad points of each I decided on the Wee STrom because of cost of ownership, weight, ergonomics and overall ability.
     With LOTO not riding with me as much as she used to I find I am using the Wee STrom more and more, this bike is a very good all round motorcycle, will cruise all day at well above the speed limit,  :law return exceptional economy, handle the twisties like it's on rails, has great suspension that can handle dirt roads and our rapidly deteriating main roads  :well and is a great commuter. I am enjoying it so much I have even started thinking about selling the ST1300  :fp

Yep...great machine.  I also liked some of the other touches such as the easy to read instrument binnacle, complete with gear counter and ambient temp.  Features you wouldn't expect to find on a budget bike.  When comparing the likes of the Crosstourer etc for around $25000 kitted out the DL650 is exceptional value for $11000.  I must confess that I've never considered a Vstrom in the past due to their ugly styling but now that I've ridden one that side of the bike doesn't seem to be an issue for me anymore.  Not going to get rid of the ST just yet but if I buy a DL1000 or 650 it'll be interesting to see what happens 6 months down the track!  :whistle

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
I can see a whole new industry emerging...  Wee Strom owners wanting plastic fairing to deflect the rain.
We turn our STs into Mini-Wings with farkles.
Wee Stroms get turned into STs with Tupperware    :grin

and  electric screens...

and highway pegs, bar raisers, cruise controls, intercoms, tyre pressure transmitters etc etc    :thumbs
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 11:15:12 PM »
All this talk about a Cross Tourer has caused me to remember this little gem from way back in 1972 when I saw my first Honda in the flesh (aged 16). This was what the bike of today was like way back then.

It's a 1972 Honda CL 350. Other sizes were available, 100, 175 and 250. The bikes had dual purpose tyres so could be used both on and off road.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:42:49 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1