Author Topic: Fuel quality - does it matter where you buy it from?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
Fuel quality - does it matter where you buy it from?
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »
Hiyas,

Firstly, I'm in Perth, have a 2010 ST1300A, and only put 95RON in it.

I normally fill up at a local Caltex Woolies servo. However, last week the queue was out of the carpark and I couldn't be bothered, so I crossed the street and filled up at the United.

A few days later I really struggled to start the bike: it wasn't that cold, lots of smoke (or vapours), and nearly flattened the battery. I got it going, revved it a little, and then let it idle for a while before I took it for a spin. No problems since. However, fuel consumption also rose about 10%.

The last tank-full was with Caltex again, and consumption seems to be back to par.

So, could it have been the fuel at United? Where does it come from?

Way back in th 90s when I was on a GPX250 (91RON) my regular mechanic told me that Shell was better because they turn their fuel over more often - meaning it was "fresher". I'm not sure if he was telling porkies, but I did notice that it ran slightly better (no pinging, etc.) on Shell than the other.

So, does anyone know if the quality of fuel is dependent on where you buy it? Is there a shelf-life - ie. in the tank underground at the server?

Cheers, Rob.
 :blk13
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Fuel quality - does it matter where you buy it from?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
It can have a bearing on the fuel quality, go to repco and get a bottle of fuel conditioner. Cant hurt, and put a couple pf glugs of metho, it will grab any water that may be in the fuel and allow it to burn (remember water meth injector kits??)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
You sure we don't have a new "Diesel" in the west.  :rofl :rofl
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
The United website says that they source their fuel from Shell and Mobil but more than likely it comes from a locally branded refinery or bulk fuel depot.

Problems with fuel can occur at the retail site.

Excessive water in storage tank and stirred up by tanker refilling it. Normally it's not an issue but if the tank level is at the empty level then any excessive water may be mixed with the fuel during delivery. I used to get some tanker drivers letting me know I could restart the pump while they were delivering but I used to wait until they left.

If the site is monitoring the water level as it should then when the water gets near the maximum permitted level then it should be reported for removal.

Fuel is generally delivered weekly at most sites, sometimes more often depending on demand, sometimes less. ULP should last about month before it starts going off.

I use United when I visit Dad and haven't had any issues with that site

There's an even rarer issue that might have happened and the delivery driver kept quiet about it. Put a couple of hundred litres of diesel in  the wrong tank.

I did happen upon a site one night and saw two b double tankers in the drive way. The delivery driver filled an underground tank with the wrong fuel so it had to be all pumped out again. 

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »

:rd13 :think1 :hatwave :runyay
Winston66, wonders

As I live in a fairly remote part of the country the couple of local fuel outlets that are in the town are happy to charge about 8 to 10 cents more per litre than at Geraldton which is 50 Klm. south and we have a shopping trip  there on an average once a week.
 Needless to say part of the procedure is to put a jerry can in the car and to fill it up also as a reserve for the bikes and or as needed.
 The fuel is purchased from one of the biggest turnover outlets, Gull.
 and therefore  probly one of the cheapest prices around usually $1.54.9 for 91.
The super is a little dearer for the ST.
 Over the years I have developed the habit of using the additive F10 on a regular basis and I have the opinion that it helps immensley with injector cleaning as well as with standard carbs. I have found it excellent with diesel vehicles and have had great results when running them on vege oil as well.( the diesel vehicles)
I guess it is all food for thought.
Cheers to all.
Winston 66, Northampton
 I presume that the fuel will be reasonably fresh and to date I have not had any Problems
 :rd13
 :rd13 :hatwave :beer :thumbs
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)