Author Topic: Unusual tyre leak problem  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
Unusual tyre leak problem
« on: October 06, 2012, 11:41:56 PM »
About 6 weeks ago I had a new tyre fitted to the missus' DN01. The tyre fitter put about 40 PSI in it when it was fitted. I put the wheel back on the bike and the missus rode it around town and out to uni then due to weather and other factors the bike sat for about 3 weeks without being ridden. When we decided to head out on a long ride I checked the pressure and it was 14PSI. I thought it was odd but I refilled it to 40 PSI and away we went. Two days after that ride the pressure was down to 32 PSI. I checked the surface of the tyre for punctures or something stuck in it and found nothing so I made up a spray bottle of soapy water and proceeded to check for leaks around the valve, it was fine, so I sprayed the bead and found a small stream of bubbles along one section. I took the wheel into the shop today and asked them to check for something stuck in the bead, when the tyre was taken off the bead was clean however along the outside of the bead were what appeared to a line of tiny holes (looked a bit like perishing) the air was actually leaking through the bead (this tyre was new and hadn't been sitting on the shelf at the shop for very long so it wasn't deteriorated from age). The tyre guy happily fitted a brand new tyre and is sending the other one back with the rep so the dealer can claim for it.  I've had a few tyre problems over the years but this is the first porous bead. Just goes to show that even new tyres can have problems. So the missus is happy again with brand new front and rear tyres fitted today.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Unusual tyre leak problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »
Have a similar problem with my 500 front tyre leaking around the bead. Have tried taking it off and cleaning the bead with only a slowing of the leak. Will have a look for perishing along the bead, might be the same as yours. What brand of tyre did you have problem with?

:bl11

terrydj

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:23:37 AM »
I've got the same problem with me front tyre. The new one's a week or two old and has dropped 10 pounds in 2 weeks and the previous 3 front tyres all did the same. Me thinks its the rim, so I live with it.
Got me a Tyre Pressure monitor, so all's good

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Many years ago I had a pourus rim that lost air all the time. The way I sealed it was to remove the tyre, clean the rim and gave it two coats of two pack paint around the inside. No more leekies.  :thumbs

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »
Have a similar problem with my 500 front tyre leaking around the bead. Have tried taking it off and cleaning the bead with only a slowing of the leak. Will have a look for perishing along the bead, might be the same as yours. What brand of tyre did you have problem with?

Bridgestone BT023 in 190/50/17.  I guess this sort of problem could happen with any brand and it would just be a one off fault in the manufacturing process. I run 023's on the 1100 and haven't had a problem.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"