Author Topic: Triumph Trophy - I got to see and sit on one  (Read 2949 times)

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Triumph Trophy - I got to see and sit on one
« on: November 21, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »
Walking around Elizabeth Street bike shops (is there nothing better than seeing shops with gear and bikes everywhere) I tried on some new helmets (Shoei neotech + multitech and the Shark evolines 2 and 3) just to compare) I went to the Triumph store just to see the full range, and to my amazement there was a blue Triumph Trophy sitting there (and a 675 Street Triple R - what a weapon of a bike - do I have room for another sports bike?)  It was bought in the the GP expo and the upcoming bike show.  I was meant to be kept under cover but as it was going very shortly the bloke left the cover off.

Nice looking bike, seems a bit more top heavy than an ST, takes some good design features of the ST (mirror placement, front look to some degree) but the mirrors are fully integrated and don't pop off if hit, and no tipover protection.  Bodywork is very wide and provides a lot of protection for the legs.  Screen seems great - fully down you can see right over, and it pivots up and back to go very high if needed. It memorises the last position.  Switch gear seems simple enough to do what is needed. Cruise control integrated and all these other buttons (heated seats etc) - only the top spec SE version will come in. Seat is in two parts with height adjustment. It seemed on the taller side to me, so don't know if it had the high seat option or was in the high position.  (I found this information afterwards - In Europe this varies between 800mm and 820mm (adjustable in 30 seconds including removing and replacing the seat), while the US gets a 760-780mm seat as standard and the European one as an option (the lower seat is an option in Europe).  Saddlebags are robust, with an inner rigid liner as well, so the skin is quite thick.

Salesman mentioned that it was a heavy bike but seemed easy to push around.  As it is 300kg wet ready to ride, I mentioned that the ST11 was 295kg dry, so it seemed light me.

Positives and negatives, just depends how it works.  I did not hear it running, but it is supposed to be a noisy engine, which might worry some.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:19:12 PM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
Re: Triumph Trophy - I got to see and sit on one
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
Where's the photos??? :-[

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
I took some, just have to get them off the phone
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »
Email them to yourself...that's the easiest way to get photos of a smartphone!
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »
Email them to yourself...that's the easiest way to get photos of a smartphone!

Or get the photobuck app, and load them up and post them as usual  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:39:15 PM »
Evenin' John et at...

My Neighbour-over-the-back-fence and moi were at the Melbourne Expo and the SE Trophy was there front and centre...nice blue paint :) Sat on it, fiddle with the switches and if ya into excess stuff all over the handle bars and reckon the Beemer is all too expensive, the Trophy at first glance I think will sell well :thumb...particularly if the price IS about 10K under the Beemer 6 as they say.

Look, if anyone is in the market for a large tourer and if this Trophy has the present Hinckley reliability already built in...it will do well...the SE is certainly well optioned as standard, I found it had a good 'feel' as a first impression sitting astride it...but for moi, the cigar at the Triumph stand had to go to the wee 675 Daytona...cracking looking bike :thumbsup...up there with the MV Augusta F3, also a 675 triple.

Lastly, if I was in the market for a new tourer and was asked the question would I be tempted...and as I already own a Hinckley Triumph...the short answer would be and unequivocal yes!

Just a thought, the can :)

PS, I didn't bother with any iphone pics...sorry :'(

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
The 675 was a gun bike for sure. You could get arrested for just getting on it!

My pictures did not turn out, but there are some here along with a road test.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-trophy-review

(and for the street triple http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-street-triple-r )
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Down Under

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »
Triumph are building some seriously good bikes.  I don't mind the look of the Trophy but after reading Kevin Ash's article regarding the suspension set-up I wouldn't want to shell out big bucks on another Tourer that doesn't have a suspension system that can cope with our crappy roads.  The following quote would kill the Trophy for me:

Quote Ash:
Just one area bothered me, and chatting to other riders as well as Triumph staff I seem to be in a minority over this, but I thought the ride quality could be better. The suspension soaks up small bumps and washboard surfaces very well, but larger bumps, especially sharp ones such as the edges of potholes, can really jar through the bike. Maybe I've been spoiled by the excellence of Triumph's own Tiger Explorer, which performs very well in this respect, but after a long time on board I found the jiggling, restless ride of the Trophy tiring. End Quote

Lately I'm becoming a long travel suspension convert, it's either that or a BMW tourer with ESA II for the ultimate in comfortable road touring around Oz.  What's the point of owning an expensive heavy weight tourer that doesn't reward with a plush and comfy ride! 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:25:12 AM by Down Under »

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
I have been thinking the same way, as most roads seem to be getting worse.  The Honda 1200X is not me, but I have yet to try the Triumph Explorer (has the same drivetrain as the Trophy). Most comments I have read (I think it is in the Ash article) mention that the plush suspension of the allrounder bikes make the traditional bikes seem harsh riding.  There is one here for test rides, so have to get out there.  Luckily there are many rubbish roads nearby for testing!
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
I saw the Triumph Trophey with Dickie on Sunday at the expo. Nice looking bike. I thought it looked a bit wide at the front but has all the bells and whistles. If I was looking for a replacement for the 1300 I would have a serious look at this machine. Honda had better pull their finger out or they will lose out. I don't like the look of the vfr 1200. Who ever designed the pipe needs a good  :spank. If you have a ride Saaz on this beast let's us know what it's like :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
It won't be until January at the earliest. The Triumph Explorer has essentially the same drivetrain and I can try that in the next week.

But then I just changed the oil and filter in the ST11, and the rebuilt Fournales shock is now back in, so it feels better than a new bike  :wht11
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
The more i see it the more i like it

Except for the one missing cylinder  :well
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

:blu13