Author Topic: QLD: Crash Course for Motorcyclists, 4th & 5th August  (Read 3477 times)

John Meara

QLD: Crash Course for Motorcyclists, 4th & 5th August
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:31 PM »
Accident Scene Management Australia (ASMA) is running their "Crash Course for the Motorcyclist" for the first time in Queensland. Open to anyone, this one-day course will be run by 2 ASMA instructors and will train up to about 15 (max 20) participants per course.  There are a few slots open still on Saturday 4th August, and there are 8 already booked for Sunday 5th. They will be run at the Redlands Multi-Sports Club at Birkdale (where Redlands Branch of the Ulysses Club holds its monthly meetings).  Cost is $165 for the day (discount is available to Ulysses Club members, as this is being supported by the Club).

ASMA presented at the Ulysses Club's Road Safety Forum during their Mildura AGM in March.  Attendees were shown 2 demos on helmet removal:- a one-person and a two-person methods. These were performed by Phil Lemin and narrated by Vicki Roberts-Sanfelipo.  Vicki developed a course that is now the benchmark of Motorcycle Trauma training in the USA.   ASMA is a not-for-profit organisation.

I filmed the 1-person helmet removal demo in HD.  Phil has given me permission to post this 2.5 minute clip - Click on this photo to see the video clip:

Note: As this was a high definition clip, you can use the YouTube option ('cog' icon in bottom right corner) to "Change Quality" to various settings.

Clearly there is a lot more to this first aid course than helmet removal, with a lot of skill involved that isn't apparent in the imagery.  The course is a complete first aid course, tailored to motorcyclists and has an excellent reputation from previous participants.

From ASMA:
The Crash Course for the Motorcyclist

This course is specifically designed to provide motorcyclists with first aid skills, but also to go beyond normal first aid and put skills into a motorcycling context.   The basic course requires 8 hours and encompasses:
  • Examining scene safety
  • Spinal immobilisation - Why and how
  • Assessing the scene - Mechanisms of injury
  • Treating the injured - Airway control skills, Breathing (this is considerably more than what a first aid course covers)
  • Practical - helmet removal, jaw thrust to eliminate moving the head
  • Treating - Controlling bleeding, shock, spinal immobilisation, head/neck chest and abdomen, soft tissue injuries, fractures, first aid, summary.
This course can provide motorcyclists with considerable skills which people always say they wish they had for when things go pear shaped.  Of the people who have completed this training in the USA almost 30% use the new skills.

This is a considerably higher number than for traditional first aid courses. Almost 76% of people also state they ride more aware as a result of what they learn during the course.

Students do a pre reading workbook which covers all the topics for the Australian First Aid Certificate and we do the motorcycle specific material on the day. These workbooks are posted out prior to the course.  If students do not wish to do the First Aid certificate, they can enrol in the course and are not required to do the workbook and written exam.[/color]

Participants can claim this course against their income tax if they need a First Aid certification for their work.  Of course you don't have to do the certification (involving a workbook and a test) if you simply want to attend, but it is he same cost either way.

To enrol for one of these courses, go to http://www.asma.org.au/ then go to "Course Information" on the top line of the home page; Next click on "Queensland" on the right side.

For more info, contact ASMA at contact@asma.org.au or ph 0428 951 535.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:36:25 PM by John Meara »

John Meara

Re: QLD: Crash Course for Motorcyclists, 4th & 5th August
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:55 PM »
By the way, I have no connection with ASMA, i.e. no kick-backs etc.  It is because as a Motorcycle Safety rep, I have a strong interest in this stuff and really believe such courses make a real difference (unlike much of the talk-fest stuff that occurs in road safety).  So I have been helping in the background to get these 2 courses up and running by spreading the word, as they needed sufficient numbers here before they can be run. 

Catherine and I are booked into the Sunday course.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:20:56 AM »
Good stuff there John  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:26:34 AM »
Do they have courses in WA? ( of course I will look it up on the Website.)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Nh478m

• NH478M
  • Farkled to death - well it was!
    • My '13
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »
Real good effort there!

Over here and fortunately, our emergency responders are always available at very short notice and they rarely have far to travel to reach the site of the RTC. However, having someone on-scene immediately who at the least, understands why the victim must remain and be kept immobilised on the ground until professional help arrives is crucial for their post incident well-being.

I can understand fully, in less heavily populated places, why this training is so important and valuable.

Good work.

PJ
PJ

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
As  usual, no courses in WA, but they will come over if enough folk are interested.

The email I received.

HI Brock
it is our aim to have the courses available in WA,
If we were able to get enough people together 2 classes of 15,
we are happy to send over an instructor and in the long run ,
we would like to have an instructor or two in the West

The Ulysses group in Kalgoorlie were keen on getting a class together

You wont regret taking the time to do this course and its very different
from other "first aid " courses.

Also we are teaching a standardised approach to an incident, so if your on your own
and your mate comes down, if other riders come by, we all know what to do.

The more riders trained the better off we all are as a motorcycle community
and you may be on the receiving end one day, and as most of our students
Realise you would rather be looked after by someone who has done this course.

Thanks again for your enquiry and if i can assist in anyway

PJ,

it only takes 20 minutes of riding here to get out of phone range sometimes. That means it will take an hour or so to get help if needed.

Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

John Meara

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
Remember these guys are not for profit.   There were no courses in QLD and so I got off my a*** and helped numbers by getting around the MRAQ, Ulysses Branches, this site, the Horizons Unlimited site.

Brock, I suggest you contact Dave Wright of MRA WA on 0418 954 424 or davmar08@bigpond.com and get involved.
Cheers

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:30:15 PM »
I know Dave, we have met at various events several times.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

John Meara

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »
The Saturday course is pretty wel full, but still slots available on the Sunday course.