Author Topic: SE Qld 17th March (Was 24th)  (Read 59604 times)

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: SE Qld 17th March (Was 24th)
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2012, 05:27:39 PM »
just looked at the BOM,  all rain western Qld.
south east Qld.   fine, occasional showers, patchy rain this evening

NOW NOW BGL's
that's not enough to stop you

Like I'd be up at 6:30 to read your cheek!   :p

I was there, and I got a bit wet coming home (thanks Skip!)
Details as soon as I develop the photos in the dark room.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
sorry but she only took 347 photos. no wounder the camera went to sleep! post some when i sort them out. great day by the way  :thumbs pity about the sprinkles but at least it was on the way home.
regards
           Royce

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
 :wht11 py

Well the bloody news was a let down,,, Aaaahhhh such is life in television.  :cuss :hijacked  :fp

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Online Skip

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »
Thanks to all who participated today. I know the businesses really appreciated our support.
Last time I trust the weather forecast though. Yesterday the forecast was fine with a shower. They lied. There were 2 showers. The 2nd hasn't stopped yet. A 5 hour shower ?????  That's ridiculous . How was the rain on the big road guys? We northsiders got a real drenching except for the road around Somerset Dam, for which we were very thankful.
Anyways, a big thanks to Whizz and Diesel for the ride diversions. Both were good choices. Thanks guys.
And hey. Finally got myself some wet gear. Its wringing wet in fact.
Cheers Skip.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Online Skip

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2012, 07:48:25 PM »

Well the bloody news was a let down,,, Aaaahhhh such is life in television.  :cuss :hijacked  :fp

Tipsy
The regional WIN news may carry the story more fully Tipsy. Peter Collins, the news guy, is from Toowoomba. I actually know him. He married a young lady from my home town, many years ago of course. Streak. Did you happen to watch the WIN news tonight? Tipsy is thinking he may be able to demand a higher appearance fee next time if his interview was aired. I've made 4 appearances on the small screen. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Lol.
Cheers.
Skip.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »

Tipsy
The regional WIN news may carry the story more fully Tipsy.
Cheers.
Skip.

The Brisbane news had too much on their plate to fit our adventure in- Margaret Whitlam's life and death took about 20% of it, so by the time Goanna Blight had her yarp it was sport and weather time.   :||||
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »
OK- a bit of a ride report as I saw it.
Here's the line-up at Blacksoil.  Very keen riders- it's the first time I've seen a ride leave early!  Even Diesel was ready!

Here we are at Grantham lined up to fuel up.  The flag on the bowser is the flood Anniversary flag.

Here's the two "men of the moment", Skip the ride originator, and the Channel 9 vid guy from Toowoomba.

Diesel found our way up the range so we parked at Picnic Point.

This is the result of a Moto Guzzi having its wicked way with a poor harmless ST lady (not harieg, the bike...)

Skip led us to Murphy's Creek where we had a good feed and yarn.

Because of his laudable efforts, Skip scored two dinners (I hope Denise has that pic among her 347 for us).

The second shower has just stopped here (8:40 pm).  Can't complain- we got a great ride out and back before it got really heavy.

So who else needs us to help them out?  Hmm.  My lawns will need mowing again already, and the hedges are getting out of control.   :grin
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:21:38 PM by Biggles »

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2012, 08:19:54 AM »
A truly great day, despite the rain. The roads were good, even Diesel's goat-track!, and the company was excellent. I had a great time and it was good to meet people for the first time. The big road got a pelting too and I was soon soaked, but pressed on and was dry by the time I got home. The it started raining in earnest and didn't stop till well past dark o'clock.

We must do this again soon!!

Cheers all, great to put names to faces. and many thanks to Skip for coming up with the idea, the locals were wrapped!!

Here's a couple of snaps from Blacksoil.

Cheers
Whizz
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
We have had a great response in grantham, I stopped in this morning for some follow up, very nice people, very happy to have us anytime!

I was sorry to miss out on yesterday, I have spent the whole weekend with a display of my business at the Gatton street sprints, so I have been with you in spirit, looks like fantastic roll up, even media coverage! Tipsy The Face of OzSTOC  :runyay

Cheers

Streak
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »
Well, the few pics I got look like the others on here - but here are a couple....

Here is Tipsy's great new 180* view mirror....

Col tops up his beautiful cruiser...

Adrian's lovely M109 Boulevarde.....

And, although it was meant to be for charity - Skip 'tricks' the poor Murphy's Creek Tavern out of a free feed to satisfy his own needs......

Good onya Skip!        :eat :eat

And here is Tipsy 'reversing' his wonderfully farkled ST1100P...

ST1100P reversing with reversing lights...

A HUUUUGE thanks goes to Skip for organising the day out. We all had a ball, and we all felt like we helped a little some good folks who really appreciated our gesture.

We kind of threaded the needle between showers for the morning, but after lunch, I think we all got belted by classic Queensland rain as heavy as anyone has seen.

This was actually a great thing for me. You see - the last time I rode in such conditions was on one of these...........

When I had to commute 50kms into Brisbane each day in all weather conditions, so I remember inclement conditions only too well...

But when I rode through these rain storms on the ST1300 something amazing happened...

I LOVED it!

The 3 things that made this enjoyable for me were:

- Michelin PR2 (front) and PR3 (rear);
- ST1300 (full faired bike with adjustable windscreen); and
- Blueheeler55's Raincoat Water Repellant on the screen and visor - http://www.safetysolutions.com.au/motorcycle-safety-gear/raincoat-advanced-water-repellent-coating

I rode back though Esk and could have easily sat on 130 in places (DAHIKT) because grip was phenomenal and vision was excellent. It even took a while for my gloves to soak through as I have the wind deflectors on my mirrors.

After passing though Kilcoy - I saw another very menacing bank of angry black cloud and laughed in its face!

Compared to the old CB - I hardly got wet - and no wet groin     :thumbs

Thanks again to all this day's supporters for your support and great company, and a big thanks to Skip for.... you know.      :thumb

Cheers, Diesel

FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2012, 09:02:08 PM »
I hope Col was wearing his wet weather gear while he was fuelling up straddling the tank.  A bit of water in the groin district is one thing...    :eek

Tipsy's reversing horn and lights are unique for a bike.  I guess the washing-up rack means he uses the topbox as a sink when he's camping.  More uniqueness.   :p
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:03:50 PM by Biggles »

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »

Washing up rack be buggered.... :fp  Its a rack from out of a fridge to hold the tent, one needs to test these mods out y'no. :p :p

Tipsy
Please ask me to wait.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »
I hope Col was wearing his wet weather gear while he was fuelling up straddling the tank.  A bit of water in the groin district is one thing...    :eek

I'm surprised they ever activated the pump while anyone was still on their bike.

As an anti ride off (theft) measure I was never allowed to activate a pump unless a bike rider got off his bike.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »

I'm surprised they ever activated the pump while anyone was still on their bike.

As an anti ride off (theft) measure I was never allowed to activate a pump unless a bike rider got off his bike.

Maaaate- there was no way anyone was riding off.  We were there with the best will in the world to help.  Anyway, there were STONers all over the place to be left with the bill.
The usual excuse given for not allowing you to chemically burn yer gonads is the fire risk.  If she spontaneously ignites, you're a cooked chook because you can't get away from the flames as the tank goes up.
And it wouldn't be because of your mobile phone ringing.  That's another load of bs!  Ask Brock!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2012, 11:06:36 PM »
Also - the driveway was such that ANYONE attempting to put their bike on the side stand from that side of the pump would most definitely have been picking her up off the asphalt as the surface dropped away severely. Col asked me to hand him the nozzle as he could not PARK the bike in this instance.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:09:03 PM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »
Diesel is quite correct, I was the first onto that side of the pumps and I almost dropped the ST onto it's side. I pulled it back upright before it ever got to the point at which the side stand touched the ground, but it was really close to going over. What an embarrassment that would have been in front of all the others! I pulled out and joined in the back of the line to go on the high side of the pumps!

Cheers
Whizz
Cheers,
Paul
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline harieg

• Harie G
  • Legendary Member
  • ausSTie Brendale Qld.
    • www.aomm.net.au
SE Qld 17th March ride
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
just like to add my 2 bobs worth,    i enjoyed the ride on Sat., thanx skip and to all the faces i was able to put names to, a good 350 Ks round  trip, with a qualifiyer i will discuss later,

2 points of interest,      the cx650 is by far a better design that the guzzie, the cylinders are off set so as to point forward, clears your knees, has a single engine balancer, so it DOES NOT want to move sideways, when you crack the throttle, there are other plus's, but i wont be pedantic about it, suffice i can buy ANY bike i want, so i hace a CX650 E D,  AND an ST1100 P..  and dont forget you lot, the CX is the father of the 1100, honda just couldnt let a good design go away.   2 more cyclinders, 2 balancing shafts, and a GREAT wrap around fairing, honda germany designed it for japan, the specs were a tourer that could go 160 to 170 Klm's for 3 hours, A SUCCESS STORY

now a question, does tipsy have instructions for installing the reversing system, wrong post probally but i also need the two steel roll over bumper mountings, and a brake master cylinder. yes i took the ST for some sideways racing.

the ride home was good, lots of rain, BUT all my rain weather gear kept me dry, warm and snug, including the crutch,

HOWEVER at the major intersection at everton park, my clutch cable decided it had had enough after 30 years, and parted at the cluthch end of the wire and nipple, i then spent 2 hurs in the rain, waititng for the racq, and, i did see biggles, ride through the same intersection at about 3:30 to 3:45 pm
ST1100 A Gold  1999 50 year anniversary OzSToc #169
ST1100 P Black 1996                            STOC #8037 verified
ST1300, Blue, 2004
CBR XX Super Blackbird 2006

Online Skip

« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »
Now is someone going to come clean and tell the truth about my "2 for 1" meal deal or will I have to spin a yarn ??????

Offline harieg

• Harie G
  • Legendary Member
  • ausSTie Brendale Qld.
    • www.aomm.net.au
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »
YOU   did order 2 meals
I  was sitting beside you, and heard it
no crap here    admit it    GREEDY

greedy greedy greedy

your son will back up what i say
ST1300, Blue, 2004

Offline harieg

• Harie G
  • Legendary Member
  • ausSTie Brendale Qld.
    • www.aomm.net.au
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »
seeing no one has read MY post or responded, i suppose i am on my own ???
ST1300, Blue, 2004

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:40 PM »
seeing no one has read MY post or responded, i suppose i am on my own ???

Are you winging again Harieg  I had one of those once but the wheels fell off,,,,  :nahnah :nahnah :wink1 :wink1 :wink1

Tipsy
Please ask me to wait.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »
HOWEVER at the major intersection at everton park, my clutch cable decided it had had enough after 30 years, and parted at the cluthch end of the wire and nipple, i then spent 2 hurs in the rain, waititng for the racq, and, i did see biggles, ride through the same intersection at about 3:30 to 3:45 pm
I sat at the red light there looking at that bike and wondering if there had been a crash and it was waiting for the Cops, but couldn't see any rider.  Seemed odd that it was sitting there, apparently undamaged.  I'm guessing now you couldn't push it up into the carpark.  I would never have expected it to be anyone from our ride being there ahead of me.  Did seem quaint to see two of that fairly unusual model in one day.

Offline harieg

• Harie G
  • Legendary Member
  • ausSTie Brendale Qld.
    • www.aomm.net.au
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2012, 06:49:54 AM »
come off it Tipsy
all i want is the instructions for the reversing system
ST1300, Blue, 2004

Offline harieg

• Harie G
  • Legendary Member
  • ausSTie Brendale Qld.
    • www.aomm.net.au
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2012, 06:52:08 AM »
too heavy for an OLD man to push, was out of the way of the traffic, i sat in the bus shelter for just on 2 hours,  rainy day so the tow trucks were busy
ST1300, Blue, 2004

Offline harieg

• Harie G
  • Legendary Member
  • ausSTie Brendale Qld.
    • www.aomm.net.au
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
i must be getting better as i get older, have never done repairs or maintenance on my vehicles,
just changed out the broken clutch cable
raided another one from my parts bike
installed the replacement, seems ok, will go for a test ride soonish
and advise the out come
ST1300, Blue, 2004