Author Topic: My rides over the years...  (Read 2363 times)

Offline TheMechwarrior

My rides over the years...
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
Honda CB250T (#1 - Hot Red)
Built from the ground up with parts picked up at the local wreckers when I was 17 with the help of my Honda manual. She was my pride and joy.
She was totalled on her maiden voyage by a 90yo with coke bottle glasses. (SMIDSY)

Honda CB250T (#2 - Metallic Emerald Green)
Built from the ground up with parts picked up at the local wreckers when I was 18 with the help of my Honda manual. She was my pride and joy take 2.

Honda CB250/400N/T (#3 - Ninja Black)
Built from the ground up with parts picked up at the local wreckers when I was 19 with the help of my Honda manual. Pride and joy take 2 was so popular a mate bought her off me...good excuse to build another! Good thing the wreckers seem to have no shortage of these things lying around!
My memory is a bit fuzzy about the details now but I do recall this bike originally being a CB250N...I didn't like the look of them so I used the CB250T tank, saddle and side covers etc.
Eventually I picked up a wrecked CB400 and just swapped the motor out  :wink1

Honda CX500
About 19 when I picked her up. Oh boy, the note of a "big" twin...I loved this bike and clocked up a hundred thousand+ kms on her.
A bastard to work on though so all the work was done in shop.  :(
I remember one particular trip I loaded her up to the hilt with gear inlcuding...a back pack on my back...a pack pack on my front...a passenger on the back, side saddles, gear sack and everything else I could pack on there including 2 fishing rods sticking up the side like aerials.
On one scenic stop I put my foot down to find loose gravel and over she went...it took 3 men to get her back up again  :grin...note to self next time find bigger men.
She was wiped out by a P-Plater (SMIDSY). Put the missus head first through his windscreen and I went into the side of the car and enjoyed a 6 week break from work.

Honda CB750 Four - Chopper
This was a folly. I saw an ad in the paper and had some spare cash...the next thing I know I'm riding home on this home made chopper... :whistle
I was so scared it might fall apart at any minute I never road it again!

Honda CB900 - Bol d'Or
Oh my God...the power! Mwahahahaha. This bike was a sheer beauty to ride, a big brute but that's how I liked 'em.
Clocked up a lot of kms on her but in the end I just ran out of money...the workshop said the top end needed doing...so it got done...a week later the bottom end went while I was riding her  :cuss
The workshop said "Yeah mate, you'll get that when you only do the top end up, puts extra pressure on the bottom end"...now if only they suggested doing the bottom end at the same time as the top end  :||||
I purchased a 77 LX SS Torana and gave the bike to a mechanic mate in exchange for a hot V8 motor for my new toy car, a good deal in the end...I miss that car.  :'(

15 year break.... :popcorn

Honda ST1100 - 2003PY
The flagship of my Honda fleet.
Ever since I got my first Honda I wanted a Goldwing...then the ST came out and it looked like the space shuttle (to me) and I just had to have one, the Goldwing can come later.
I purchased her off a fellow OzSTOC member in Adelaide a few weeks back, my first ride in 15 years and it was from Adelaide to Melbourne.  :o
I started off a little rusty I can tell you and to help my return to 2 wheels I'm attending 2 advanced riding courses in a couple of weeks back-to-back on Saturday and Sunday.
It will be good to test the ST out on the race track and do some slalom work etc.
Thanks OzSTOC for helping out as I sort my way through all things ST. :-++

Cheers,

Mech.
Honda CT200P
Honda CB250T
Honda CB250N
Honda CB400N
Honda CB750 4 (hard tail chopper with leather king queen seat)
Honda CX500
Honda CB900 Bol d'Or
Honda CBR600
Honda ST1100PY

Together Each Achieve More

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: My rides over the years...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
Excellent write-up with pix.  After your early experiences it sounds like a weekend of refresher training won't go astray.  You can do without six weeks off the ST!

I had exactly the same experience as your Bol d'Or when I did the rings on my Austin A40 without replacing the big-end bearings.  She did about 100 kays before putting a conrod through the block.  Ah, the folly of youth!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »
Great, entertaining write up thanks Mech.

I'm a Bol D'Or man from waaaay back too. Had a four into one Lazer Pipe and the sound! Oh, the sound!  Makes you use a lot more petrol when they sing a grand ol tune!     :whistle

Thanks for sharing the trials, triumphs and tribulations of your two-wheeled journey.       :thumb

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Great write up, boy the memories, my first road bike was the CB250T (blue). 

Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »
My rides over the years...

Oh... I am sorry I seem to have misred this thread :law

Ho Roo, the can :)