Author Topic: Zumo 660 vs 350LM  (Read 4368 times)

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
Zumo 660 vs 350LM
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
Just about to order a 660 when the local dealer say they and Garmin are out of stock and the feeling is the 350LM will replace the 660.
From what I have been able to find the major differences are:-
Free map updates on the 350 a +ve
Builtin battery on the 350 a -ve
Longer battery life on the 350 7hrs vs 5 hrs who cares?
No MP3 connection on the 350, who cares?
No Garmin Lock on the 350 a -ve
350 will store 100 routes vs 20 routes for 660 a +ve for the 350
350 about $160 more another -ve
Has anybody else looked at the comparison?
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Zumo 660 vs 350LM
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »
I'd also check that Touratech or someone else makes a locking cradle for it, since I regard that as being an important security measure.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:48:13 AM »
I also believe the 350 doesnt relay a phone either  :'(

From all I can tell its just a GPS telling you where to go but dearer than the 660 that has "bells and whistles"

NOT HAPPY Garmin
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »
Thats typical of Garmin though. In a few months the full featured version will come out at a huge price...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Flip

• 20 odd other bikes - FINALLY - ST Owner/Rider.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:15:54 AM »
Hi ALL,  :grin

I've got a GARMIN ZUMO 660 that I brought from an Australian dealer back in late 2011.
Registered it with Garmin on-line the day after it arrived.
It worked great - except the first time I tried to use it, kept trying to send me back to Fremantle when I wanted to go to a friend's place down at Port Kennedy.  :eek
After re-starting it again in Rockingham, it worked perfectly from then on.

Went away for a year's holiday leave my ST and the Garmin at a friends house for safe keeping.

OK - got back just before Christmas. The last 3 weekends I've been going out on the usual Sunday rides with the Ulysses club, something weird started happening with the 660 unit.

Seems no matter where we went riding, as soon as the ST hits 90 - 100kph the projection of the roads and surrounding VANISH !  :eek
Leaving the lower 'bar' with only the heading, icon of motorbike and the GPS Accurary showing.
When stopped again the whole normal roads, surroundings, etc. comes back again after just a few moments.  :o
Everything continues to work perfectly until the St's speed reaches that 90 - 100kph speed again, then - blank screen again.  :||||

I've tried the Garmin on-line site to see what could be found.   :think1
After going forwards and backwards many times, trying everything short of buying a new map down-load, (Garmin says mine was current until May 2012)   Garmin comes back with the answer that the service I requested is " not currently available." Or my line speed might not be fast enough - ADSL2+   :CB--

The Garmin has never been dropped or damaged in any way that I know of.  No marks, scratches, or bents anywhere.
When it hasn't been on it's supplied mounting on the ST. it's been kept in its original box. Only being taken out and connected to the mount while the engine was being run for about 10 minutes each weekend.
It's battery is holding it's charge properly.

SO - not an inexpensive unit to buy. And now, not very happy or impressed at all !    :cuss

Anyone got any ideas ?  (short of buying a new map down load)

Thanks.   :thumb

But I AM Napoleon I tell you !
Where am I now that I need me ???
ALL others on the roads are idiots - ride accordingly !
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:50 AM »
Doesnt sound like amap problem Flip.

I'd be trying a reset, even remove batery fro 30 mins and reinsert see how it goes.

apart from that garmin service will likely fix/replace but maybe at a cost
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:28 AM »
The first problem you had was because you had it set to "Go to Start Point Before Departing", and your start point might have been just around the corner that you didn't pass.

The display problem sounds like a setting regarding the display, although I can't say which.  I was caught out by the "Daylight" option by having it in "Automatic".  When the time ticked over to "Last Light" the display changed to a very difficult to read night time setting.  Selecting "Daylight" solved that.

Have you tried a Google search on the problem?  You could try a few phrases such as "Garmin display changes at 90 kph".  It's amazing how many others have the same problem, and have it solved in other forums.

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »
Flip have you tried the Zumo forum?

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:09:34 AM by West Aussie Glen »
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:02:24 AM »
I was registered on the Zumo forum, but it won't recognise my login, won't send me an email to confirm my password and won't let me re-register.

Either the site is down or it's being a complete PITA.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:08:04 AM »
Do the roads disappear all the time (ie when it is showing you a route and when it is just acting as a map)  Mine does go briefly 'blank' in map mode as it hits a set speed for auto zoom in or out (I forget what speed this is).

I am a member of the zumo forum so will log on to have a look.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Flip

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »
Hi ALL again,  :grin

Thanks for the advise / ideas about the problem with the ZUMO 660.   :thumbsup

#1 - Dale,  OK - have removed the battery from the 660 for an hour.  It's the second time I've tried this. The problem still re-occured the weekend ride after I'd already done this the first time, had the battery out for 20 - 25 minutes that time. So trying that again but for a full hour this time. Thanks.  :thumb

#2 - Biggles, -  SORRY ! Should have made it clearer how I use the 660 most of the time. Not really sure just how this "Go to Start Point Before Departing" works and don't think I've currently got one logged in anywhere in the 660's memory. But in most cases, would make any difference ?  >:()
Most times, the 660 is used just to give me an idea of the roads ahead and where we are heading towards. (Club rides - follow my Leader sort of thing)
On those rides, it's always turned on before leaving home, no direction or 'go to point' added. Just turn on, acquire map and show home location and surrounding streets before moving off, then ride to where ever.
Whenever we stop for a rest, refreshments, lunch, etc. I always turn the 660 off at it's top built-in switch, remove it from it's mounting and either lock it in the Givi top box or put it into an inside pocket of my riding vest or leathers. (removing temptation from light fingered persons)
Starting off again, re-mount 660, turn on, wait to acquire current map, street location, then start riding again.

The 660 is first plugged into it's holder in my home driveway straight after the engine is started and before moving off. Haven't got a clue what, if any difference it makes, but if and when, it's used to direct me to a street or address, then those details are entered, the route to be taken checked on the screen, then off and riding. 
Followed your recommendation and set it permanently on 'Daylight'.  Magic !   :runyay  That 'last light' setting sux.
Joined that 'zumoforum.com' as you and West Aussie Glen suggested, no problem with that at all.  Also having fun - NOT - GOOGLING up ' zumo 660 possible faults / problems and solutions'.    :eek   :||||

#3 - West Aussie Glen - Thanks for you suggestion to join the 'zumoforums.com' site also.  :thumb

#4 - saaz - did you get the time and manage to locate anything like this on that forum ? I hate computers and they hate me back just as much so I usually get nowhere the first half dozen of so attempts to find anything on-line.   :CB--

One other headache came up. After chasing around that forum for a few nights, I logged into ZUMO AUSTRALIA' - when throught that for a while and finally plugged the 660 into my NEW HP g6 Laptop (6 week old) and entered - 'Fault Repair '. - 'BEEP from 660, nice little icons of computer and 660 joined together by a cable. Line under icons appeared going from left to right side of 660 screen. - - THEN, the bloody site comes up on my NEW laptop screen telling me here's a fault in the main drive !  AGGGGHHHHHH !   :||||  :||||  :||||

Telephoned the shop this laptop came from, Hardly Normal, their techie guy said no problem. Just bring it in with the receipt and they'll send it off to HP Australia to be 'looked at'. Expected turn around time - 4 to 6 weeks !   :well   :fp

Currently the ST is stripped down of all it's plastic, welding painting and polishing while I can't put a helmet on for the next 2 weeks due to neck surgery. 
So, until the ST is back together and this laptop is checked over - a whole lost of nothing is happening.    :'(
Going to look up one of my techie genius friends this week and get him to go over this laptop - see what the hell is going on.

THANKS again guys for all you're helpful ideas and suggestions.   :thumbsup

Stay safe and have great rides ! 

Flip. 

:wht11
VAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONM ! (one day again soon hopefully !)

STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Wow!  You've sure suffered, Flip.
The biz about wanting to "go home" occurs if you put in a route that includes a point somewhere near home.  As you depart, a dialogue will come up asking whether you want to go to the start point.  It's fatal to say "yes" because for the rest of the journey, it will try to take you back to the start point.  i made that mistake on my first time using the GPS.  If you select "no", it will go along with whatever you do, and try to get you onto the route at some point, in the attempt to get you to your destination.  Just turning it off won't fix the "return to start" problem unless you hit the "stop" icon on the home screen.  Then it will either run a "breadcrumb": trail or execute your "GoTo" if you enter one.  Your second paragraph is in that category.
As I mentioned to Westie Glen, if you're feeling wealthy, Touratech make a dedicated lockable cradle that is hardwired into the bike for power and coms/music.  Attaching that via a lockable RAM knob gives you some protection from a theft for a little while.  It's very easily released by key if you want to take the GPS with you.  Ideal for petrol station turn-arounds etc.

Offline Flip

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 12:49:07 AM »
Hi Biggle's,   :thumb

SOMEONE up there has it in for me I suspect !  :'(
Anyhow - I've got about another 2 weeks to work it all out.   :crazy   :CB--   :||||   :whistle
So, not to worry - ONE day it will all work out.   :thumbsup
As far as locking cradles, etc. goes, - - -  well, you have to remember that the ST and all related goodies where purchased a long time BEFORE getting married last year.

Just hoping that day comes before the new wife finally puts her foot down and says " NO MORE MOTORBIKE ! YOU TOO OLD ! "   :fp
She started dropping that 'hint' last year.   |-i
Her idea - " Buy car !  BMW nice ! " My answer is of course - "Yes My DARLING."  :-++ :-++ :-++

Thinks to self -  SURE ! This from a woman who happily rides though the middle of Sai Gon on her little Honda 150 Lite Blade with no protective clothing except a light weight re-enforced, plastic helmet. Yet totally HATES going into District 1, the center of Saigon in any car, even a taxi ! 

Slowly, very slowly, I'm persuading her that Oz is different and sometimes not such a bad placed to think of moving to live here all the time.   :hatwave 

:wht11
VAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !  (Every day is one less day to wait !  :runyay )
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.