Author Topic: Mick's Bike & Car Tyres- Brendale. PM Lubricants distributor.  (Read 8567 times)

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
Hi guys,

Some here already know Mick, a couple I have introduced to him.  For those on the Northside of Brisbane, I prefer to send you to him for your orders of PM Lubricants.  I encourage anyone in the area to contact him and support a genuine small business.  He also ships across Australia- even with shipping it may be worth checking his prices.

Briefly, those here who know Mick know that he takes absolute pride in his work- he fits tyres to bikes, cars and 4x4, supplies and fits accessories to bikes as well as servicing and repairs to bikes, and dabbling in 4x4 accessories. He is well known for his love of Continental tyres, but carries other brands will specify based on individual bike and rider.  The added bonus is his prices are pretty hard to beat- I personally know of guys who ride from Ipswich and even heard of guys coming from Bundaberg (don't laugh they actually do) for his tyres. 

Mick can only keep limited stock on hand at the moment, so if you are chasing PM through him please do call ahead.  I am working with him to get stock to him quickly as it is required.

Mick:  (07) 3881 0033
6 Johnstone Road Brendale
Brisbane, QLD 4500
micksbikeandcartyres@gmail.com

Cheers,

Brad

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Mick's Bike & Car Tyres- Brendale. PM Lubricants distributor.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »
Well done,

its great if you can support your local businesses.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:50:15 AM »
I got my 2004 ST1300 serviced at Mick’s recently at 110’000 klms.
Check out the receipt and let me know what you think??

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »
The killer on servicings is always the labour.....

Thats why I try and do it my self, the consumables sound about right..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
The killer on servicings is always the labour.....

Thats why I try and do it my self, the consumables sound about right..

Yeah :'(
I think I'll have to have a go at doing the service myself next time

Cheers
Shiney

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »
That's the biggest cost obviously, keeping in mind it looks like it's been a major service and everything got done- from brakes to final drive, so I should expect only minor servicing for a while to come.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
I got my 2004 ST1300 serviced at Mick’s recently at 110’000 klms.
Check out the receipt and let me know what you think??

Cheers
Shiney

Just my thoughts....

- $73 for 4.3l oil seems a lot to me, it's about $38 for 5 litres in the car shops.
- Coolant seems expensive, I reckon 5l of the decent stuff would come in under $20 in the shops but I'm not 100% sure.
- Oil filters can be had for about $7 in Repco, for the 1100 at least - there will probably be one to fit the 1300, might even be the same filter.
- K&N air filter is about half that price on eBay.
- Spark plugs seem a decent price.
- Diff oil seems to be about 2x what it costs in the auto shops
- Brake fluid, I just bought 500ml for $5 in Repco
- Goldfren pads, I've never tried them myself - how do you like them?  I was gonna try them on my FireBlade but the reviews on the net weren't so complimentary.  Anyway, you can get them for about $35/pair on eBay.  You can get other pads a lot cheaper, which I can't see being significantly worse than the Goldfren ones - best way to find out is to try them.
- Labour - This is the killer, of course it is free if you do it yourself.  I reckon I can service my ST in under 6 hours including tea breaks, although I've never bled the brakes on a 1300 so maybe 6 hours isn't too far off. 

I reckon you could have had change from $250 doing it yourself, more change if you went for cheaper (but maybe not worse) brake pads.  Of course next time you'll only need to clean the K&N, not replace it which will be a fair chunk of the bill.

I would say that none of those jobs listed are beyond the ability of a novice. 

Oh, I forgot - if you're an RACQ member you get (I think) 10% discount at Repco, saving a few more $$.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:44:18 PM by Des »

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »
Just my thoughts....

- $73 for 4.3l oil seems a lot to me, it's about $38 for 5 litres in the car shops.
- Coolant seems expensive, I reckon 5l of the decent stuff would come in under $20 in the shops but I'm not 100% sure.
- Oil filters can be had for about $7 in Repco, for the 1100 at least - there will probably be one to fit the 1300, might even be the same filter.
- K&N air filter is about half that price on eBay.
- Spark plugs seem a decent price.
- Diff oil seems to be about 2x what it costs in the auto shops
- Brake fluid, I just bought 500ml for $5 in Repco
- Goldfren pads, I've never tried them myself - how do you like them?  I was gonna try them on my FireBlade but the reviews on the net weren't so complimentary.  Anyway, you can get them for about $35/pair on eBay.  You can get other pads a lot cheaper, which I can't see being significantly worse than the Goldfren ones - best way to find out is to try them.
- Labour - This is the killer, of course it is free if you do it yourself.  I reckon I can service my ST in under 6 hours including tea breaks, although I've never bled the brakes on a 1300 so maybe 6 hours isn't too far off. 

I reckon you could have had change from $250 doing it yourself, more change if you went for cheaper (but maybe not worse) brake pads.  Of course next time you'll only need to clean the K&N, not replace it which will be a fair chunk of the bill.

I would say that none of those jobs listed are beyond the ability of a novice. 

Oh, I forgot - if you're an RACQ member you get (I think) 10% discount at Repco, saving a few more $$.

Thanks for the advice Des :hatwave
The break pads feel the same as the ones that were on it before (no better or worse then any others I have had for the most part, they stop me when I want to stop :wink1)

The price was a bit of a shock to me :eek but as Rocketeer said they did go through the whole bike checking everything, I just thought it would be cheaper :'(

Thanks for the heads up on the discount with RACQ membership at Repco I was unaware of that.
But all in all I suppose I now know the bike is in good working order and there are no issues :thumb
So even though I’m a novice at the mechanic sort of things I’ll have a go at doing the service myself next time :-[

It’s funny I’ve never done much on the bikes I’ve owned myself (modifications ect.) :whistle I’ve always payed others to do it for me, but on this bike I find myself doing all sorts of things to it… and this is the most expensive bike I have ever owned :eek

I blame all you guys......   thanks for giving me the confidence to have a go :-++ :-++

Cheers
Shiney

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »

Thanks for the advice Des :hatwave
The break pads feel the same as the ones that were on it before (no better or worse then any others I have had for the most part, they stop me when I want to stop :wink1)

The price was a bit of a shock to me :eek but as Rocketeer said they did go through the whole bike checking everything, I just thought it would be cheaper :'(

Thanks for the heads up on the discount with RACQ membership at Repco I was unaware of that.
But all in all I suppose I now know the bike is in good working order and there are no issues :thumb
So even though I’m a novice at the mechanic sort of things I’ll have a go at doing the service myself next time :-[

It’s funny I’ve never done much on the bikes I’ve owned myself (modifications ect.) :whistle I’ve always payed others to do it for me, but on this bike I find myself doing all sorts of things to it… and this is the most expensive bike I have ever owned :eek

I blame all you guys......   thanks for giving me the confidence to have a go :-++ :-++

Cheers
Shiney

If you're gonna give it a go yourself, it's well worth getting hold of a workshop manual - it'll more than pay for itself the first time you do a service.  Then you have a guide and some pictures too.  That's what I did.  When I read through what was involved in a 'full service' I struggled to see why it cost so much. 

The basic stuff is really easy - if I can do it, anyone can!  It really is about the confidence to give it a go.  Even doing the real basics like an oil/filter change, air filter and plugs is worthwhile and saves some $$$.  I also find it much more convenient, you can do it when it suits you and can be done in an evening, or spread across a few evenings to keep the weekend free.  No need to mess about arranging lifts to and from the mechanic's place either.

And once the real basic stuff is mastered, you'll start looking through that workshop manual thinking 'hmm, that doesn't look so hard....'

That workshop day the Sandgropers are organising would be a great event to attend.  Or nothing wrong with asking someone to come over to help service the bike, or ride to someone else's place and do it there.

I'm by no means an expert, but I can now do enough to keep me out of the mechanic's place most of the time - in the last 7 or 8 years I've been there once, just to get some forks taken apart that I didn't have the special tool for. 

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »
Oh one other thing - did you keep the old air filter?  I just say that because I had a reusable one on my last bike - when it was time to clean it, it took something like 24 hours to dry.  Dunno what it is for the K&N.  I had 2 bikes at the time so it wasn't a problem, but if you ride every day and have only 1 bike it might be useful to keep the old filter just to drop in for the odd day when the K&N is drying.  (That'd be my plan if I go for a K&N-type filter for the 1100).

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »
If you're gonna give it a go yourself, it's well worth getting hold of a workshop manual - it'll more than pay for itself the first time you do a service.  Then you have a guide and some pictures too.  That's what I did.  When I read through what was involved in a 'full service' I struggled to see why it cost so much. 

The basic stuff is really easy - if I can do it, anyone can!  It really is about the confidence to give it a go.  Even doing the real basics like an oil/filter change, air filter and plugs is worthwhile and saves some $$$.  I also find it much more convenient, you can do it when it suits you and can be done in an evening, or spread across a few evenings to keep the weekend free.  No need to mess about arranging lifts to and from the mechanic's place either.

And once the real basic stuff is mastered, you'll start looking through that workshop manual thinking 'hmm, that doesn't look so hard....'

That workshop day the Sandgropers are organising would be a great event to attend.  Or nothing wrong with asking someone to come over to help service the bike, or ride to someone else's place and do it there.

I'm by no means an expert, but I can now do enough to keep me out of the mechanic's place most of the time - in the last 7 or 8 years I've been there once, just to get some forks taken apart that I didn't have the special tool for. 
Oh one other thing - did you keep the old air filter?  I just say that because I had a reusable one on my last bike - when it was time to clean it, it took something like 24 hours to dry.  Dunno what it is for the K&N.  I had 2 bikes at the time so it wasn't a problem, but if you ride every day and have only 1 bike it might be useful to keep the old filter just to drop in for the odd day when the K&N is drying.  (That'd be my plan if I go for a K&N-type filter for the 1100).
Thanks Des :hatwave

Once again great advice mate :thumb

I’ve downloaded the workshop manual from the “Workshop ST11 & 13 Repair & Mod Articles” section of the site so I’m all set there

Unfortunately I don’t have the original air filter :fp but I can always spend a day at home and take the wife’s car if I have to go out, I had no idea it took so long for the air filter to dry :eek

I’m sure when it comes time to do the next service I can find someone with a bit of knowledge and time to help me out with it ( :think1 These OzSTOCK guys seem have skill and knowledge to spare)

Thanks again for the info and the vote of confidence Des :-++

Cheers
Shiney

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »
I'm generally all for home servicing- it's not terribly difficult.  I generally do my own and go to Mick for majors.  I would be happy to get him to do them all but in all honesty I extend my oil drain intervals, and I really can't afford someone to do those simple things for me.  I've outlayed a small  fortune in tools to do most jobs- I just wont change cam shims unless the bike is off the road, but otherwise minor services are pretty easy.

One thing when talking prices on the invoice- you have to talk apples with apples- yes you can buy parts cheaper on ebay, but not through Australian workshops- they can't buy them for the price you buy bits on Ebay, and it's killing a lot of workshops both bike and cars.  K&N oil filters average price $25- and is a far more efficient filter than ryco or hiflo, no you don't notice the difference, but trust me for the extra $12 or so the improved filtration is worthwhile. 

As for the K&N- I generally clean mine as the first thing I do, get as much water out as I can (an old towel will do, being careful with the element) then leave it in the sun.  An hour on a relatively warm day and it's dry- re oil and install being sure not to over oil.

I don't know how often the throttle bodies on these need to be balanced, I went and bought a balancer and found on all of my bikes 6000-9000 km and they are well and truly due, keeping in mind that's with a lot of track work and constant high revs.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 05:48:54 PM »

One thing when talking prices on the invoice- you have to talk apples with apples- yes you can buy parts cheaper on ebay, but not through Australian workshops- they can't buy them for the price you buy bits on Ebay, and it's killing a lot of workshops both bike and cars.  K&N oil filters average price $25- and is a far more efficient filter than ryco or hiflo, no you don't notice the difference, but trust me for the extra $12 or so the improved filtration is worthwhile. 

Well in today's world I believe I am comparing apples with apples - we can get the exact same thing from the Internet, but cheaper, including postage costs which can be from all over the world.  It really shouldn't be cheaper to ship items individually! 

Much as I would prefer to buy local, the retailers (and everyone behind them) need to accept online competition and do something about it!

I'm also comparing prices on the invoice vs Aussie retailers, I would like to see those prices a lot closer too.

Anyway back on topic... I have heard lots of good things about Mick's Tyres though and I will get a price from them (him?) when I need new tyres - but if Jake Wilson are cheaper, it's just as easy and probably almost as quick to order through them.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »
I agree with both of you, and do stuff myself. 
The only problem with by-passing the workshop mechanic and his shop is, who does your shims and forks if he goes broke and has to shut up shop?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »
I agree with both of you, and do stuff myself. 
The only problem with by-passing the workshop mechanic and his shop is, who does your shims and forks if he goes broke and has to shut up shop?

I do my own shim changes and fork maintenance as well.  It is not as hard as you might imagine.  None of my bikes have been to a bike shop since my first one back in 1976.  The electronics have gotten a bit more complicated so I should really do some electronics courses.  I was able to fix up an aftermarket electronic ignition on my 78 GS1000, but it was a simple design and easy to do (a darlington resistor for a few $ at jaycar for those interested)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:38:44 PM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »
Micks gets a double :thumb :thumb from me, had 2x 023 Bridgstones sent down to here in NSW......delivered $125 cheaper than I could buy here.

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!